A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

What Did You Just Say?

<< < (3/4) > >>

whatsanenigma:
I was on the speech team in high school and this happened to one of my friends/teammates.

This was in the "original oratory" division, in which the participant delivers a 10 minute original speech on the topic of his or her choice.  The first thing you do in this event when it is your turn is say "The title of my speech is [whatever your title is]". This friend usually got very good scores on her speech, but one time, with one judge, she scored really low, and nobody could figure out why.

Then, after the meet was over and we all saw our actual score sheets (not just the posted numbers), we figured out why.

In the space for "title of speech", this judge had written "Youth in Asia".

And what was my friend's speech actually about? Wait for it..."Euthanaisa".

So, apparently this judge thought the speech made no sense, and for some reason never realized her mistake.

Luckily, though, it didn't seriously affect anything overall, and we all laughed ourselves sick about it.

LilacGirl1983:
Last night we were eating and I was getting on my husband about eating healthy and then he said "I am going to have a slice of jammed bread!" I thought he said the D word so smacked him with my spoon since our little one was right there..He said "I said J A MM ED" lol..I told him it sounded like the other word lol..Then he teased me saying "Jam it! " of course our daughter started saying it..and we had to get after her since it sounded so much like the other word!

EllenS:
This used to happen to me all the time when I lived in Big City.  When DH and I were dating, we liked to try various types of authentic world cuisines, and the combination of accents, restaurant noise, and being all mooney-eyed was very, very bad for my listening comprehension.

We tried a shabu-shabu restaurant, and I ordered a tea with milk (I like hot tea with milk, it's what I usually order).  The waitress said what I thought was "eh? With milk?"  and I said yes, please.  When she returned with our drinks, she brought me a tall glass with cold milky tea, a straw, and what appeared to be ice cubes floating in it. OK, we're here to try new things, right?

So I took a sip through the oversized straw, and almost choked to death on what appeared to be a cat's hairball.  Turns out it was "bubble tea", and the floating things were balls of tapioca. How we got from "milk please" to "tapioca", I have no idea.

On another evening, we were eating Mexican and I ordered coffee afterwards.  The waitress said what I thought was, "Cream?" I know she only said one syllable, and it was a question.  I answered "yes please."

She brought me flan.  I hate flan.  I asked DH afterward, and he said, "yes, you did order it, I was surprised because I know you hate flan."  I still can't figure out why someone would order coffee, and you would reply with, "Flan?"  DH ate it.

So now, when DH and I are misunderstanding each other, we say, "Flan? You want flan with that?"

Thipu1:
Going back to whatsanenigma's post, the confusion between 'Euthenasia' and 'Youth in Asia' was fairly common during the period of the Viet Nam War. 

Both topics were hotly debated and could easily find their ways into High School forensic club exercises.   

whatsanenigma:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on April 16, 2013, 02:54:27 PM ---Going back to whatsanenigma's post, the confusion between 'Euthenasia' and 'Youth in Asia' was fairly common during the period of the Viet Nam War. 

Both topics were hotly debated and could easily find their ways into High School forensic club exercises.

--- End quote ---

That makes the incident even more funny then, because this happened in 1992.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version