Author Topic: Durability of bone china  (Read 536 times)

Katana_Geldar

Durability of bone china
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
One of our wedding presents was a 36 piece white bone china dinner set. Plates, bowls and small plates. When we registered we chose those rather than others with patterns as I knew these should last us for years and years. We have been careful, not exposing then to temperature change too much and we've had them since February of this year.

Well, last night DH was washing up and one if the plates broke in two cleanly. Not even and slivers of china, just right down the middle. He said he may have heard a 'pop' sound when he put a hamburger patty on them, but he's not sure. But we've had these less than a year! Never dropped them, knocked them or had near misses. We also don't have a dishwasher, so everything is hand washed.

I'm going to call the company, but am I right in thinking this should not have happened? When we got them delivered, we had to get them exchanged as a plate had broken so something else going wrong is upsetting. We are pretty sure we could purchase a replacement, but this was a wedding present.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Durability of bone china
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
Definitely shouldn't have happened with gentle use.  See what the company will do for you.

Years and years ago - like more than 50 - my parents bought a set of china.  In those days, the salesman came to the house.  The pattern they bought was supposed to be dishwasher safe and had a money back guarantee.  If something happened to them in the first year, you could pick another pattern, even if it was more expensive.

The dishes crazed after being run through the dishwasher - fine lines through the glaze.  So the salesman came out and they selected a different pattern that was slightly more expensive.  I'm going to inherit those.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

andi

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
Bone china is extremely durable - the plate should not have cracked. (in fact in my store we demonstrate the duablitly by dropping a cup on the tile floor or letting a lesson stand on the cup).
Lease get with the manufacturer or store where you got the pace settings - they should replace the plate free of charge

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »
sounds like a flaw. I would contact the company and report it.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
The company does not gave a customer service line, but I did submit an email form to them. Let's see what happens.

It's a shame it did that, we really like the dinner set and want to purchase more pieces.

This is it, I'd like the cappuccino cups.

http://www.maxwellwilliams.com.au/mw/range-cashmr.asp

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
I've got the same brand, different set which is now discontinued  :'( - one of the square plate sets.  It's now about 8 years old, and used every day, and goes through the dishwasher and microwave (and even the oven on occasions for short periods of time).  The only breakage I've had is one dinner plate - when the kitten knocked a candle holder from a height of about a metre, onto the plate.  No chips, cracks or crazing on anything else.

So it definitely sounds like a fault.  Good luck, I hope the company comes through for you!