Author Topic: Any gadget geeks out there?  (Read 345 times)

SCMagnolia

Any gadget geeks out there?
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
I apologize if this post is in the wrong place - admins, feel free to move this if I goofed!

Has anyone used any type of gadgetry that will convert music, etc on a cassette tape to an mp3 file?  Is there anything you can recommend?   I have a lot of tapes with some very hard to find dance music that I'd like to convert to mp3, and I have some samples of my previous radio/voiceover work that I'd also like to keep as mp3 files so they can be emailed out if an opportunity arises.

Can anyone recommend any good products?  What is the sound quality like?  Will I be able to separate the songs/voice clips on a tape into individual tracks or does it convert as one large track? 

I am not exactly a technological wizard, so I'd prefer something easy and uncomplicated to use, if such an animal exists. 

Thank you in advance!

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Any gadget geeks out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »
I have one of these bad boys: http://www.amazon.com/DBTech-Portable-Cassette-Software-Features/dp/B005DF2QMC

Works pretty easily, pop the tape in, hook it up to your computer (USB cord), open up the software (Audacity, free download), hit record on software, hit play on tape. When it's done you pick "export" from the file, and pick your file type (MP3, Wave, ect), it does it's thing and you're done.

It does record it as one long continues track, however you can stop the tape after each track and export the file then start fresh on the next track.

There a lot out there on the market, a friend found this one for me and it wasn't too expensive which would be the entire reason I picked it.

cwm

Re: Any gadget geeks out there?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »
I can't speak to that product, but I can speak to how easy Audacity is to use. I LOVE that program, I've been able to do so much stuff with it over the years.