Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 37662 times)

Tini

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »
Dungeons and Dragons. Picture the scene - Sicily, 1948.
Okay, I kid, Leicestersquare (where all the big cinemas are in London), circa 2000. On a rare weekend away from our two-year-old, we've finally got time to go to the cinema. There is a choice. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Dungeons and Dragons. My husband does the puppy dog eyes and we end up watching D&D. Got, it was bad. I still haven't forgiven him. Watching CT,HD on DVD did not have the same impact.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:34 AM »
I'll add another Nicholas Cage movie to the mix:  Raising Arizona.   

blueyzca01

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
I walked out of There's Something About Mary.  All the stuff with hurting the dog made me too upset. 

And if you accept the idea of being able to judge a movie after only 5 minutes:  Dude, Where's My Car?  My friend was dating "Hot Alien Chick #5" and made me watch it so he could show her off.  Oh dear Lord above, that's 5 minutes I'm never getting back. 

That movie made me realize that Barb Wire wasn't all that bad after all.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
House of 1000 Corpses. Rob Zombie not only owes me the price of admission, but 2 hours of my life as well. It seems sad to me that he doesn't get that you have to want to root for someone in a horror movie. If you just hate everyone, you have no investment in the plot.

Anyway, that movie is why we created the "Rob Zombie rule". We sat through that whole movie because it had to get better. It didn't. So, now, after 15 minutes or less, if a movie is dreadful, we acknowledge that it probably isn't going to get better and cut our losses.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »
Mine has to be "Eight Heads in a Duffle Bag" - this is the reason why I don't go to the movies with my hubby anymore (he picked it because it had Joe Pesci and thought it would be funny, NOT!)
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

MrTango

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
How could I forget: M Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" - Horrible film, laugable acting, and an insult to the original cartoon.

HGolightly

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
I agree with you about Johnny Mnemonic. A friend and I went to a matinee with a coupon for 50 cent admission.....we wanted our money back.

Don't troll me, flame me, flog me etc but I HATED Titanic. Great effects, great set & costume design but horrible, horrible writing and acting!

Redwing

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
Good heavens, there's so many.  Throw Mama from the Train for one.  Lost in Translation.  You've Got Mail.  I know I'll think of more.

On the other hand, yay for Manos, Hands of Fate!  I loved MST and this was one of the best ones.

Redwing

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 11:53:53 AM »

Don't troll me, flame me, flog me etc but I HATED Titanic. Great effects, great set & costume design but horrible, horrible writing and acting!

I won't flame you and I'll jump right in there with you.  Overwrought emoting, horrible writing, and when you don't even like the main characters you're supposed to like, you know you're in a bad movie.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »
There are two that stick in my mind as not worth the effort.

The Core: If they had paid experts in all of the related fields of science to come up with inaccurate and implausible science for a movie, they couldn't have done worse than what actually happened.  I couldn't find a single thing about it that wasn't a character cliche, scientific BSing or ham-handed acting and directing.  I can usually find something, anything about a blockbuster that's a little bit redeeming, but not here.

Jacob's Ladder: If this had been a Cannes short, it would have been stellar.  The premise worked but the whole thing dragged.        On.        So.        Sooooooooooooo.       Long.  It was painful to watch the characters interact, and in the end, it just died because it was so slow, dull, and pointless.

Virg

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
Saving Private Ryan.  The only movie I have ever walked out on.  After the first 15 minutes, I just couldn't take it anymore, all that violence.  I do realize that war is violent, but I didn't expect the filmmakers to make it look so real.  I didn't need to see that.

I stayed for the whole thing, but during those opening scenes, I sat and didn't move a muscle. I was also amazed at how realistic it was, so I can see why you left.  I don't know that I even breathed during that time.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
Apt Pupil.  I love Ian McKellen, but that movie was just horrible.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »

I won't flame you and I'll jump right in there with you.  Overwrought emoting, horrible writing, and when you don't even like the main characters you're supposed to like, you know you're in a bad movie.

Add me to the list as well! I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but that was enough.

And I can also add Resevoir Dogs, way too violent, if I remember correctly, and....drum roll please. Dirty Dancing.

I think in all fairness, i saw it only when it had been in theaters, hyped to the nth degree, AND been on HBO, and finally saw it on video. when i was heartily sick of the soundtrack, hype etc.  i just didn't think it was as good as everyone and their mother said it was.

shadowfox79

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
How could I forget: M Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" - Horrible film, laugable acting, and an insult to the original cartoon.

I agree that it was terrible, but being in the UK, I did at least get some inadvertent humour out of the repeated use of the word "bender". I don't think Shyamalan had a Brit-picker to hand when he made the film.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »

I kinda enjoyed that one - but I definitely take your points about the characters. I think it helped that I was sitting in Mann's Chinese Theater when I watched it, so I could have been watching a Keanu Reeves film and have found it passingly entertaining... (*ducks as the Keanu fans hurl objects*)

Another one that I loathed, though: Forrest Gump.

Had to sit through it (it was official "entertainment" on a pre-university camp thing for female engineering students) and kept waiting for the plot to start. It didn't.