Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 31670 times)

soupmom

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
Saw this one mentioned earlier.  My DH dragged me to see Tom Cruise's "War of the Worlds".   I'm not a great Tom Cruise fan anyway, and Dakota Fanning's incessant screaming made a migraine headache that was just starting turn excruciating.

Same thing with "Titanic".  I sat in the theatre lobby during the second half of the movie because the strobe light effects used as the ship sank made me sick, again with a throbbing migraine.

My nominee for the best "so-bad-it's-good" movie, in part because of the title:  "Overdrawn At the Memory Bank" starring Raul Julia of all people.  It was a mid-80s television movie later shown on MST3K which had me doubled over with laughter.

Editeer

« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »
I've walked out of movies, and I've also sat through some stinkers (mainly when I was a teenager) that were so bad I've forgotten them. So I can't really say what the worst movie I ever saw was. Of the better-known movies that I can remember, Independence Day was one of the worst. It was an action picture with no action. It was a blockbuster that was simply . . . boring. The alien spaceship (or whatever it was) lands on the freeway, and everyone gets out of their cars, stands there, and screams. The spaceship makes the road shake. Everybody stands by their cars and screams. Road shakes. Big noise. Screams. The hero saves the day by  . . . typing on a keyboard (to do something completely stupid from a technical POV). What a snooze. The only reason I watched the whole thing was because I was on a plane and couldn't escape.

Another worst was Hannah and Her Sisters. Phony and dishonest. I decided afterward that I would never watch another Woody Allen film. I can't stand him.

Library Dragon

« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2013, 01:29:59 AM »
I present the Nicholas Cage remake of The Wicker Man.   The 1973 original had the incomparable Christopher Lee and was all Shirley Jackson-ish shock.  Nicholas Cage managed to make the story funny.

Edward Woodward (as the policeman) was believably earnest and rigid in his beliefs, wanting to do the right thing.  Nick Cage was just bumbling and clueless. 

Has anyone seen The Wicker Tree?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Verloona Ti

« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
Independence Day.  Maybe I should call it the most disappointing, because I'm a summer blockbuster nerd and I'll sit through almost anything, ignoring all plot holes.  But this was a fail from beginning to end.  The President of the US flying a crop duster?  Uh, no....

I also agree with PPs on Matrix and Forrest Gump.  On the latter, everyone swore I'd love it just like everyone else.  Everyone was wrong. 

I also loathed this comedy called What About Bob?  I tried 3 times and lasted less than 15 minutes.

Oh, and on recent ones, it has to be Carnage with Jodie Foster, who I love.  But it was too strange for words.

I DESPISED What About Bob. The rest of my family loved it, so it became a "family favorite". I can't count how many times I had to sit through this movie and try to entertain myself. Ground Hog Day was the same way. Everyone else seemed to love and think it was hilarious and for me it was like watching paint dry.

I truly believe I am the only person on earth who is completely 'meh' about The Princess Bride.

I also read the Goldman novel, and if anything I dislike it even more.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2013, 09:03:41 AM »
I present the Nicholas Cage remake of The Wicker Man.   The 1973 original had the incomparable Christopher Lee and was all Shirley Jackson-ish shock.  Nicholas Cage managed to make the story funny.

Edward Woodward (as the policeman) was believably earnest and rigid in his beliefs, wanting to do the right thing.  Nick Cage was just bumbling and clueless. 

Has anyone seen The Wicker Tree?

Yes. It wasn't the comedic farce of the remake, but it wasn't nearly the classic of Wicker Man either. Christopher Lee had a tiny cameo, which was nice to see.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »
Independence Day.  Maybe I should call it the most disappointing, because I'm a summer blockbuster nerd and I'll sit through almost anything, ignoring all plot holes.  But this was a fail from beginning to end.  The President of the US flying a crop duster?  Uh, no....

I also agree with PPs on Matrix and Forrest Gump.  On the latter, everyone swore I'd love it just like everyone else.  Everyone was wrong. 

I also loathed this comedy called What About Bob?  I tried 3 times and lasted less than 15 minutes.

Oh, and on recent ones, it has to be Carnage with Jodie Foster, who I love.  But it was too strange for words.

I DESPISED What About Bob. The rest of my family loved it, so it became a "family favorite". I can't count how many times I had to sit through this movie and try to entertain myself. Ground Hog Day was the same way. Everyone else seemed to love and think it was hilarious and for me it was like watching paint dry.

I truly believe I am the only person on earth who is completely 'meh' about The Princess Bride.

I like the movie (I can't say I love it, but I do like it quite a bit), but I couldn't even finish the book.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
There was one in the middle 1980s. I don't remember the name but the reviews weren't bad. 

Most of it took place in a research facility under the sea.  It was extremely suspenseful and enjoyable to watch but...

...it didn't have an end. It just sort of went, 'phttt' and that was it.

Talk about feeling cheated!  It's a good thing the movie didn't let out during dog walking time because the whole audience came out in the mood to kick puppies. 

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
In honor of Roger Ebert, 10 movies he really hated:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/49913/10-movies-roger-ebert-really-hated
SCAJAfamily = dd S 21, ds C 14, ds A 11, dh J and myself dw A

Editeer

« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

You're not alone!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
We love The Princess Bride and quote it often!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
I'll add another Nicholas Cage movie to the mix:  Raising Arizona.

I watched this because my sister liked it.  What a dumb movie.

Edited to add:  "Terms of Endearment" went on for four hours longer than it should have.  What?  It was only 2.5 or 3 hours long?  Enough said.  The best part:  I saw it with my mom, who had quite a bit to say about it.  We were in a virtually empty theater, and Mom's running commentary got way more laughs than the movie did.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:04:16 PM by Sirius »

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
Come to think of it, The Chronicles of Riddick.  I one tried watching it, at an ex's advice.  I think I came down with a bad fever in the beginning of the movie and just didn't feel great, so I can't think of the movie without feeling horribly ill.  Maybe I'll give it another try one of these years...

booklover03

« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »

I don't like The Princess Bride, either. My family LOVES it. It has a few funny one liners, but on the whole I think it's really overrated.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »

You're not alone!

I only recently saw 'The Princess Bride' and thought it was cute but nothing to write home about.  The casting was the best part, IMO. 

Miss Tickle

« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »

Same thing with "Titanic".  I sat in the theatre lobby during the second half of the movie because the strobe light effects used as the ship sank made me sick, again with a throbbing migraine.

DH hated Titanic, and only refers to it as "Titanic Waste of Time and Money". Every single time.

I won't let him watch The Godfather anymore.  I've threatened to divorce him. If I hear it in the other room I will ask "Is that the Godfather?" and he'll change the channel before I can come check.

There are only so many times you can watch one movie before you lose your mind (says the woman with no children).