Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 37449 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »
DH and DS have certain movies they watch when I am away. War movies mainly.

Reika

« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »
Unfortunately, I saw Batman and Robin in the theater. I was cringing within the first 5 minutes, mom loved it.

Then when Waterworld came out I was spared shelling the money out for the theater, but mom rented it. Fell in love with the movie so she bought her own copy. And watched it incessantly. As in at least once a day, sometimes more if there wasn't anything on tv she wanted to watch. We lived in a very tiny apartment at the time, so even when I was at my computer with my headphones on, I could still hear it.

When the tape failed (this was the days before dvds, thank goodness) from being watched so much, I did an internal happy dance. When there weren't any copies available in the local stores, I did a major happy dance in the bathroom when we got home.

Because of Waterworld, I refuse to watch anything with Costner in it. It's not that I dislike him as an actor, I think he's kinda meh, but not awful. It's just that I associate him with what I consider mental torture and start twitching if I even hear his voice.

helixa

« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
In 1999 there was a pretty bad movie about intelligent altered sharks which was awful enough to be sort of funny.

I remember loving the princess bride, but it was done 25 years ago so tastes can change, I'm not sure how much I'd like it now though.

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
« Reply #288 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
I'm not a big fan of most movies, so my list is kinda long.

Band of the Hand: Juvenile delinquents are trained in the Florida swamps by a Vietnam vet.
Cameron's Closet: Boy with telepathic powers accidentally summons a demon/ancient evil.
Drag Me To Hell: Woman is cursed by a gypsy.
Ted
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
The Avengers
Battleship
Lovely Molly
Dark Shadows 2012
Any Twilight, Hostel, or Saw movies. 

Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #289 on: April 07, 2013, 03:01:09 PM »
On the subject of fake history, Disney's Pocahontas.

But without it, they wouldn't have gotten away with so much in The Lion King, one of my favorite films ever. :P Things like Timon and Pumbaa's drag scene, a throw it in moment after adlibbing by Timon's VA, and all the jokes could be done because Disney was considering Pocahontas to be their next, big hit. :)

I'm a kid at heart :)

magicdomino

« Reply #290 on: April 08, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
In honor of Roger Ebert, 10 movies he really hated:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/49913/10-movies-roger-ebert-really-hated

Loved the last review:

Freddy Got Fingered, zero stars. This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
Unfortunately, I saw Batman and Robin in the theater. I was cringing within the first 5 minutes, mom loved it.

Then when Waterworld came out I was spared shelling the money out for the theater, but mom rented it. Fell in love with the movie so she bought her own copy. And watched it incessantly....

Your mother is at least an independent thinker!  ;D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #292 on: April 08, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »
I won't let him watch The Godfather anymore.  I've threatened to divorce him. If I hear it in the other room I will ask "Is that the Godfather?" and he'll change the channel before I can come check.

There are only so many times you can watch one movie before you lose your mind (says the woman with no children).

For my father, it was "The Third Man".

My mother still flinches at the sound of zither music....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Grancalla

« Reply #293 on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
Independence Day.  Maybe I should call it the most disappointing, because I'm a summer blockbuster nerd and I'll sit through almost anything, ignoring all plot holes.  But this was a fail from beginning to end.  The President of the US flying a crop duster?  Uh, no....

I also agree with PPs on Matrix and Forrest Gump.  On the latter, everyone swore I'd love it just like everyone else.  Everyone was wrong. 

I also loathed this comedy called What About Bob?  I tried 3 times and lasted less than 15 minutes.

Oh, and on recent ones, it has to be Carnage with Jodie Foster, who I love.  But it was too strange for words.

I DESPISED What About Bob. The rest of my family loved it, so it became a "family favorite". I can't count how many times I had to sit through this movie and try to entertain myself. Ground Hog Day was the same way. Everyone else seemed to love and think it was hilarious and for me it was like watching paint dry.

Glad I'm not the only one. Everyone else in my family thought it was cute and funny. It made me want to throw things and strangle Bob with them.

Does anyone remember a movie called "The Peanut Butter Solution"? I saw this in a theather when I was little. I liked pretty much anything, at that age, but that just struck me as bad and boring.
My gallery

I sell art and crafty things! Linky

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #294 on: April 08, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »
Independence Day.  Maybe I should call it the most disappointing, because I'm a summer blockbuster nerd and I'll sit through almost anything, ignoring all plot holes.  But this was a fail from beginning to end.  The President of the US flying a crop duster?  Uh, no....

I also agree with PPs on Matrix and Forrest Gump.  On the latter, everyone swore I'd love it just like everyone else.  Everyone was wrong. 

I also loathed this comedy called What About Bob?  I tried 3 times and lasted less than 15 minutes.

Oh, and on recent ones, it has to be Carnage with Jodie Foster, who I love.  But it was too strange for words.

I DESPISED What About Bob. The rest of my family loved it, so it became a "family favorite". I can't count how many times I had to sit through this movie and try to entertain myself. Ground Hog Day was the same way. Everyone else seemed to love and think it was hilarious and for me it was like watching paint dry.

Glad I'm not the only one. Everyone else in my family thought it was cute and funny. It made me want to throw things and strangle Bob with them.

Does anyone remember a movie called "The Peanut Butter Solution"? I saw this in a theather when I was little. I liked pretty much anything, at that age, but that just struck me as bad and boring.

Wait.  Isn't that everyone's reaction to Bill Murray in *any* movie, though?

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
In honor of Roger Ebert, 10 movies he really hated:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/49913/10-movies-roger-ebert-really-hated

Loved the last review:

Freddy Got Fingered, zero stars. This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.

And once again I think we need a like button on here.....

Grancalla

« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

Goodness, you're right. But in What About Bob's case, my problem was that we were supposed to be rooting for Bob to succeed as he basically ruined another character's life for no reason that I ever understood. Maybe I just didn't get it.
My gallery

I sell art and crafty things! Linky

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »

Goodness, you're right. But in What About Bob's case, my problem was that we were supposed to be rooting for Bob to succeed as he basically ruined another character's life for no reason that I ever understood. Maybe I just didn't get it.

To be fair, Dreyfus' character was an insufferable toad with an annoying laugh (oh wait, that's Dreyfus) who was far more interested in how he appeared to the public than how his family actually functioned.  He was as messed up in *private* as Bob was in *public*.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #298 on: April 08, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »

To be fair, Dreyfus' character was an insufferable toad with an annoying laugh (oh wait, that's Dreyfus) who was far more interested in how he appeared to the public than how his family actually functioned.  He was as messed up in *private* as Bob was in *public*.
^ Agreed, although I would go a step further. That Bob "caused" the Dreyfus character to have a nervous breakdown is somewhat debatable -- he in some ways saved each of the dysfunctional family members. Bob was a control freak and narcissist but so was Dreyfus' character who alternately micromanaged and then ignored his family. Because of all of Bob's quirks, everyone started to pay more attention to him than they did to the doctor -- absolute h*ell for a narcissist. The doctor finally had a breakdown because he met a person that refused to be controlled or ignored easily at his whim -- in other words he met himself. By "curing" Bob, the doctor becomes the patient and returns to being the center of attention. So in the end they've switched places.

I liked the movie, but I don't think that the idea was to necessarily like either of the lead characters. Just laugh at them for their bizarre dance to see who could get the most attention. I imagine a sequel set 10 years into the future where Bob is now the esteemed arrogant psychologist and Dreyfus is a nutty patient that drives him insane...and they switch places again.

It's kind of like asking the question, what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #299 on: April 08, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
Mikayla wrote:

"Independence Day.  Maybe I should call it the most disappointing, because I'm a summer blockbuster nerd and I'll sit through almost anything, ignoring all plot holes.  But this was a fail from beginning to end.  The President of the US flying a crop duster?  Uh, no..."

There were many, many chunks of fail lobbed into this movie, but this isn't one of them.  The only time the president piloted a plane, it was a combat fighter, and since his backstory was a war hero (specifically a fighter pilot) that fit with the plot.  For my part, the fighter sequences were one of the few parts of the film that passed my suspension of disbelief, because they weren't too far away from reality, at least not in movie terms.

Editeer wrote:

"Of the better-known movies that I can remember, Independence Day was one of the worst. It was an action picture with no action. It was a blockbuster that was simply . . . boring. The alien spaceship (or whatever it was) lands on the freeway, and everyone gets out of their cars, stands there, and screams. The spaceship makes the road shake. Everybody stands by their cars and screams. Road shakes. Big noise. Screams. The hero saves the day by  . . . typing on a keyboard (to do something completely stupid from a technical POV)."

Are you sure that was Independence Day?  It's true that there were a few flash scenes of Jeff Goldblum typing but the synopsis you wrote doesn't fit the movie very well at all (for one thing, no alien ship ever landed anywhere in the whole film unless you're counting them crashing when the human counterattack starts working).

Reika wrote:

"Because of Waterworld, I refuse to watch anything with Costner in it. It's not that I dislike him as an actor, I think he's kinda meh, but not awful. It's just that I associate him with what I consider mental torture and start twitching if I even hear his voice."

That's too bad.  Field of Dreams was a really good film.

Virg