Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 32275 times)

andi

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
Anything on SyFy - but they are actually so bad, they are entertaining.

Agreed. I think of them as comedies instead of dramas. ICE SPIDERS!

I think I wet myself laughing through Ice Spiders!!

Gyburc

« Reply #361 on: April 17, 2013, 06:39:10 AM »
I'm sure that I've seen worse movies, but one that stands out in my mine is Sucker Punch.

Not because the movie was just god-awful. It was pretty bad, yeah...but I was more disappointed in it because it has the potential to be kind of cool. It had an interesting premise. It was just terribly done. I never go in to a movie expecting it to be bad, but when I expect something to be OK and it's AWFUL, I feel like I've lost something.

Our former house guest raved about Sucker Punch, and so when we saw it at the supermarket for 3, we bought it. I'm not someone who usually takes offence at sexism in films, but I have to say, this one made me want to bleach myself all over.  >:( The premise was quite good - girl trapped in asylum re-creates herself and her friends as superheroes in order to escape what's really happening to them. And the fantasy action sequences were a lot of fun.

But. The girl also imagines that the asylum is some kind of brothel, and all the girls have to practice their dirty dancing to entice their clients. The only reason I could see for this was to provide an excuse to put the girls in skimpy costumes and plaster them with make-up and fake eyelashes, and get them to wiggle their excuse-mes at every opportunity. The main character is referred to throughout as Baby Doll and is dressed like a very young teen, which I also found pretty creepy.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Stormtreader

« Reply #362 on: April 17, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »
Seconding The Room - the added bonus is that it goes on for so long, it becomes good-bad, bad-bad, good-bad, bad-bad, i-just-want-this-part-of-my-life-to-be-over-bad....

Also nominating Night of the Comet, my friend loves it but nothing happens! And of course Prometheus, so much promise wasted. AND the fact it was all set up to be nearly-almost a prequel and then they decided they needed to get a little more milage out of the main baddie and hauled him back on his feet again.  >:(

crella

« Reply #363 on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
Magicdomino, love your attack rose, and  guihong, I'm glad I wasn't the only one, thank you!

BarensMom

« Reply #364 on: April 17, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »
I just saw "Boxing Helena." 

I have to go listen to the 10-hour version of the badger song now.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #365 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Last night I was subjected to a Disney channel original movie and was so glad that I could turn it off with the excuse that it was bed time.  Those things are so horribly written and you don't need a crystal ball to know exactly how it's going to turn out in the end. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

gingerzing

« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »
I agree with Titanic, I always say the hero in that movie was the iceberg.

My sister and father were at the Titanic Historical Society's annual banquet, and my sister was making conversation with another woman seated at their table. She commented that she'd met the woman's husband earlier and asked, 'And are you as much of a fan on the Titanic as he is?' as he had made quite an impression with his unbounded enthusiasm for things Titanic.

The wife fixed a baleful look upon my sister and replied, 'Actually, I'm a fan of the iceberg.'  ::)

Made me laugh.  Reminded me of the movie Lake Placid  (fairly rotten movie called a Horror-Comedy about a man-eating crocodile loose in the lake. )  Betty White is in it and has the best line in it.  "I'm rooting for the crocodile. I hope he swallows your friends whole. "

Melle

« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
Worst movie I ever saw: Gentlemen Broncos. That may have been in part because I wasn't the target audience and it went over my head a lot of the time, plus it was poorly dubbed, but all in all it was just a whole lot of humorless boredom. I was very close to walking out of the theater but - as I had gone there with a friend and she is of the I-paid-for-it-I'll-sit-through-it variety - I dozed off a little instead.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #368 on: April 17, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
I saw Phantom Menace a few times with a friend when it came out in the theaters, as it was summer, theater had A/C, and it was a distraction from missing DH who was in boot camp at the time. 

I kept falling asleep during the pod racing scene.  That was so long and so boring.  I think the main reason I kept going back was that I have a small crush on Liam Neeson.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #369 on: April 17, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »
Wild Wild West --  another entry for the "worst film with the best cast" awards.  This movie just staggers from one unfunny scene to the next. Salma Hayek was in such useless role that it makes me wonder why they bothered to get a name actress. Then there was the horrific lack of chemistry between Will Smith and Kevin Kline. The late Roger Ebert said it was like they were acting to rear-screen projections of each other.

Then there is the racism and handicapped jokes. While it was supposed to be "ha ha, we're so obvious about our racism and handicapped epithets, get it? *wink*wink*", it just comes off as crass and repulsive, no more so than in the following dialogue (for those playing at home, West is African-American and Loveless has no legs).

Dr. Arliss Loveless: Mister West! How nice of you to join us tonight and add COLOR to these monochromatic proceedings!

Capt. James West: Well, when a fella comes back from the dead, I find that an occasion to STAND UP and be counted!

Dr. Arliss Loveless: Miss East informs me that you were expecting to see General McGrath here. Well, I knew him years ago, but I haven't seen him in a COON's age!

Capt. James West: Well, I can see where it'd be difficult for a man of your stature to keep in touch with even HALF the people you know.

Dr. Arliss Loveless: Well, perhaps the lovely Miss East will keep you from being a SLAVE to your disappointment!

Capt. James West: Well, you know beautiful women; they encourage you one minute, and CUT THE LEGS OUT from under you the next!

:o

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #370 on: April 17, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
That was really painful.  If not for the racist/handicapped jokes I would laugh cause I love puns. I hate when movies waste a great cast with a horrible screenplay.

SpottedPony

« Reply #371 on: April 17, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
Wild Wild West --  another entry for the "worst film with the best cast" awards.  This movie just staggers from one unfunny scene to the next. Salma Hayek was in such useless role that it makes me wonder why they bothered to get a name actress. Then there was the horrific lack of chemistry between Will Smith and Kevin Kline. The late Roger Ebert said it was like they were acting to rear-screen projections of each other.

Then there is the racism and handicapped jokes. While it was supposed to be "ha ha, we're so obvious about our racism and handicapped epithets, get it? *wink*wink*", it just comes off as crass and repulsive, no more so than in the following dialogue (for those playing at home, West is African-American and Loveless has no legs).

Dr. Arliss Loveless: Mister West! How nice of you to join us tonight and add COLOR to these monochromatic proceedings!

Capt. James West: Well, when a fella comes back from the dead, I find that an occasion to STAND UP and be counted!

Dr. Arliss Loveless: Miss East informs me that you were expecting to see General McGrath here. Well, I knew him years ago, but I haven't seen him in a COON's age!

Capt. James West: Well, I can see where it'd be difficult for a man of your stature to keep in touch with even HALF the people you know.

Dr. Arliss Loveless: Well, perhaps the lovely Miss East will keep you from being a SLAVE to your disappointment!

Capt. James West: Well, you know beautiful women; they encourage you one minute, and CUT THE LEGS OUT from under you the next!

I am a fan of the series that this 'movie' was based on, I've never seen the movie, but from the comments of the fans who have, I have no interest in seeing it.  In the series, Robert Conrad (James West) and Ross Martin (Artemus Gordon) had a chemistry that was second to none.  Robert Conrad was the perfect action hero and ladies man.  Ross Martin could do accents and dialects and would become the character he was portraying. The Oscar nominated dwarf actor Michael Dunn was the perfect choice for Dr.  Miguelito Loveless.  I've heard that he is still on the list of most memorial villians of all time. 

Most who tried to give it a chance, say they walked out after about 15 minutes, they couldn't stand it. 

Spotted Pony

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #372 on: April 18, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »

I am a fan of the series that this 'movie' was based on, I've never seen the movie, but from the comments of the fans who have, I have no interest in seeing it.  In the series, Robert Conrad (James West) and Ross Martin (Artemus Gordon) had a chemistry that was second to none.  Robert Conrad was the perfect action hero and ladies man.  Ross Martin could do accents and dialects and would become the character he was portraying. The Oscar nominated dwarf actor Michael Dunn was the perfect choice for Dr.  Miguelito Loveless.  I've heard that he is still on the list of most memorial villians of all time. 

Most who tried to give it a chance, say they walked out after about 15 minutes, they couldn't stand it. 

Spotted Pony

Yes the series was a gillion times better than the movie.  I couldn't sit through it either. 

Great cast - horrendous writing.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #373 on: April 18, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
That puzzles me - couldn't someone sit down and say, "In general, a good script doesn't cost a lot more than a terrible script. So, let's look at what made the series popular, and write a script in the same vein"? Instead, they seemed to say, "Hey, GIANT MECHANICAL SPIDER! That's all we need to sell this movie, along with Will Smith and the rights to the name of the show. So, I'll get my nephew to write a script to involve a GIANT MECHANICAL SPIDER, and a few one-liners for Will Smith. Goodness knows, since he dropped out of high school he needs a job."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #374 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Twik, I can answer this one straight from an insider's view.  Kevin Smith was talking at a college about a bunch of things, and this particular bungle came up during his talk.  See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

I'll warn for language, but it offers insight into what happened in Wild Wild West, at least so far as your particular comment.  It's long and doesn't seem to apply until the end, but you really need to hear the whole story to appreciate how close you are to the reality of what happened.

Virg