Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 40061 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »
On the topic of Sharknado, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqwdu0u_EE

(Plug for one of the few Dragon*Con [science fiction convention] bumpers I got to write this year!)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »
On the topic of Sharknado, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqwdu0u_EE

(Plug for one of the few Dragon*Con [science fiction convention] bumpers I got to write this year!)
I would watch Hurricannibals and Avalanchovies. 

If I was tied up and had my eyes propped open with toothpicks.  <insert grinning smiley that never seems to work for me here.>

andi

« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
I had fogotten about Grease 2.  Worst song from this atrocity?  "Reproduction".   'Nuff said.

Oh - you just HAD to go there, didn't you?? Evil  ( reaches for the brain bleach)

"Sharknado" rocked!!  They did big screen showings of it here. Love those movies!

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »
Freddy Got Fingered: Tom Green swings a baby around by its umbilical cord while screaming "Wakey! Wakey! Wakey!" Need I say more?

Red Dragon:  Ralph Fiennes was tragically miscast.  With his baby face and lisp, Edward Norton just couldn't bring the intensity the Will Graham character needed.  Harvey Keitel and Philip Seymour Hoffman sleepwalk through their roles.  The director totally botches Freddy's death scene. Really, how could a movie with such a great cast be so bad?

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra: I swear Channing Tatum and Sienna Miller were having a contest to see who could deliver the laziest, half-@ssed performance. They could have been replaced with cardboard cutouts and tape recorders and nobody would have noticed. Actually, that might have been an improvement. Miller won a well deserved Razzie for Worst Supporting Actress.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #454 on: November 11, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
Can't remember if its been mentioned, I probably have but just to be sure I'll throw out "Astronaut's Wife" with Charlize Theron and Johnny Depp.  He hasn't done too many bad ones but oh lordy that was a stinker. 

There's only so much good actors can do with an awful script.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PeterM

« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
I had fogotten about Grease 2.  Worst song from this atrocity?  "Reproduction".   'Nuff said.

All yáll are ignorant nincompoops. That's right, I said it. Nincompoops! Grease 2 is an awesome movie. The only reason it's not the awesomest movie ever made is because it's tied for that honor with Flash Gordon. If Grease 2 had somehow managed to get Brian Blessed in its cast, it would be the undisputed champion.

Vall

« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »
For fun, my DH and I decided to watch all of the movies that were nominated for best picture (not just the winners).  We checked the movies out from the library and started with movies made in the thirties and ended with the nineties.  Some were really excellent, a few were horrible and most were somewhere in between.  The truly horrible ones:

The Great Dictator.  A Charlie Chaplin film from 1940.  We couldn't stand it and turned it off after about 20 minutes.  There were some great movies that year but this one was a dud.

Taxi Driver.  A 1976 film with Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster.  It was horrible,slow and boring but we watched the whole thing.  It seemed to take forever and we were relieved it was finally over.  Even hearing the name of it makes us cringe.

Daydream

« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2013, 12:15:25 AM »
Howard the Duck was the first movie that came to mind when I saw this thread title.  I did a (Google) search and see that others have mentioned it, too.  I was in my early teens and watched it on TV a couple of years after it came out with my male cousin who was the same age. 

It was horribly awful and unfunny to me.  But he was laughing uproariously!  I remember looking at him and wondering if he really thought it was funny or if he was just laughing at how bad it was, but he really seemed to like it.

Also, I took my nephew to see a Pokemon movie he wanted to see when he was about 12 or 13 years old.  I don't know the title.  Oh boy, it was awful!   It also seemed to be geared toward children much younger than him, but he thought it was great.  (I didn't mention any of my thoughts about it to him)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2013, 01:26:52 AM »
Season of the Witch (starring Nicholas Cage and Ron Perlman).

I seem to end up seeing every Nicholas Cage movie that comes out (because either it's fun, or else it's awful and thus fun in a different way), and Ron Perlman is usually the most fun thing about a movie he's in, so odds were this was going to be a funny/awful movie.

Nope. I gave up half way through, partially because I was bored out of my mind but mostly because I couldn't hear the stilted dialogue over the sound of my brain screaming "WIG! WIG! WIGGITYWIGWIG!" every single time I looked at Nicholas Cage.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
Cage's remake of The Wicker Man was appallingly bad.  The original with the late Edward Woodward was excellent.

andi

« Reply #460 on: November 12, 2013, 02:08:12 PM »
"Season of the Witch" was on the other night - glad I skipped it

BarensMom

« Reply #461 on: November 12, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »
Of more recent vintage, I nominate "The Tourist."  No chemistry at all between Johnny Depp and Angela Jolie, at all. period.

My DH was watching "To Live and Die in LA" over the weekend.  That was a stinker.

lowspark

« Reply #462 on: November 12, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
It's always fun to read these threads to see how divergent peoples' tastes can be. Some of the most hated mentioned are my absolute favorites. Casablanca, Dr. Strangelove, Inglourious Basterds, to name a few.

Last Year at Marienbad, which someone mentioned way up thread is definitely my worst ever but I don't really count it as much because it was meant to be an arty film and whenever someone sets out to make a "film for the sake of art and anyway only intelligent high brow people will understand it so if you don't love it you must be stupid", it's pretty much going to be bad. I don't mind if they think I'm stupid.

The worst mainstream movie I've ever seen is Rachel Getting Married, which incomprehensibly got nominated for some Oscars. Yuck.
A close second was Blue Velvet. It was awful.

Some comments on other films that were mentioned:
Les Misérables - The play in the theatre was phenomenal. The movie was awful.  It was long and boring.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer - Look, you have to figure by the title it's not going to be the most serious intelligent movie ever. I thought it was very entertaining for what it was. Lots of action and fun stuff. Nothing earth shattering but I definitely enjoyed it.
Moulin Rouge - This is one of those films that people either love or hate. The first time I watched it, it took me about 30 minutes to get it. Once I did, I fell in love with it.
Anything by the Coen Brothers or Quentin Tarantino -- you either love their stuff or you don't. I do. But I completely understand why some don't. After Fargo came out and was so incredibly popular, I know people who went to see The Big Lebowsky thinking it was going to be like Fargo. The thing is, it was, in a way... it was very Coen Brothers -esque. But the thing about the Coens, all their movies are very different from each other, different genres, different kinds of plots, etc. They're all really good (IMO) but in completely different ways.
What About Bob? – I know I saw that movie, but for the life of me, I can’t remember a thing about it except that Richard Dreyfus was bothering someone else.  I tend to block out bad movies unless they’re so bad I can’t block them out.

lowspark

« Reply #463 on: November 12, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

I liked the movie, but I don't think that the idea was to necessarily like either of the lead characters. Just laugh at them for their bizarre dance to see who could get the most attention. I imagine a sequel set 10 years into the future where Bob is now the esteemed arrogant psychologist and Dreyfus is a nutty patient that drives him insane...and they switch places again.

It came off to me as "Let's laugh at this guy because he has a mental illness!" - granted, the movie's pretty old by now, but I think that's the part that bothers me the most.  (As with any movies with that general setup - "Let's laugh at Napoleon Dynamite because he's a social reject!"  "Let's laugh at how the blind guy and the deaf guy could have totally caught that bad guy if they had been sighted and had normal hearing!")

+1 for shout out to, I believe, See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

That's the one  :)  I actually kind of liked it, but the humor based around the main characters' disabilities really bothered me.

They were trying to capitalize on the great chemistry between Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor that had made Silver Streak such a great movie. Problem was, no matter how good the actors, if a movie is silly, it's silly. See No Evil, Hear No Evil was cute, but it couldn't hold a candle to Silver Streak.

lowspark

« Reply #464 on: November 12, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »
I love scary movies, even campy scary movies. So last year a friend gave me "Hillbillies in a Haunted House." Absolutely the worst movie I've seen...ever!

I just looked that up on IMDB where it got a whopping 1.9 rating out of 10. I've never seen anything get a rating that low. I've got to see if I can get my hands on a copy.  8)

There's a song by The Austin Lounge Lizards called Hillbillies in a Haunted House. It's pretty funny.