Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 41636 times)

Petticoats

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
Les Misérables - The play in the theatre was phenomenal. The movie was awful.  It was long and boring.

Les Mis was the worst-edited movie I've ever seen. No establishing shots. How did Fantine's head end up floating into Valjean's death scene? Bewildering lack of context. And a real lack of orienting the characters in space/setting/relation to each other. If I hadn't seen the show onstage, I would have had no idea how Eponine got shot.

I also would have had no idea what people were saying. The sound editor should have mixed the multi-voice, multi-verse bits (like Eponine singing over Cosette & Marius's love song) so that we could actually distinguish one voice and phrase when it was important, instead of pushing all the volume up equally all the time.... GAH!

And holding on someone's face for an entire song is moronic. In the theater, you can let your eye wander during a song if you want. No such luck in the film. The movie medium would have been better employed *adding* to the song by, for example, visualizing in flashback what Fantine was singing about. But to plunk the camera down in front of a singer's face and leave it there? That's some lazy, unimaginative filmmaking. Yeah, I get that we want some close-ups to show how much emoting the actors are doing. Fine. But do something else from time to time!

Basically, this looked to me like a film directed and edited by people who had no idea how to direct or edit.

Whew, I've been holding on to that for a while. :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2013, 04:25:11 PM »
It's always fun to read these threads to see how divergent peoples' tastes can be. Some of the most hated mentioned are my absolute favorites. Casablanca, Dr. Strangelove, Inglourious Basterds, to name a few.

Yea - I love Tarantino in general, and 2001 A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies ever (I also adore Arthur C Clarke's entire series of Odyssey books, but thought the script for the movie for 2010 was horrifically and unnecessarily dated).
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

cwm

« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »
Les Misérables - The play in the theatre was phenomenal. The movie was awful.  It was long and boring.

Les Mis was the worst-edited movie I've ever seen. No establishing shots. How did Fantine's head end up floating into Valjean's death scene? Bewildering lack of context. And a real lack of orienting the characters in space/setting/relation to each other. If I hadn't seen the show onstage, I would have had no idea how Eponine got shot.

I also would have had no idea what people were saying. The sound editor should have mixed the multi-voice, multi-verse bits (like Eponine singing over Cosette & Marius's love song) so that we could actually distinguish one voice and phrase when it was important, instead of pushing all the volume up equally all the time.... GAH!

And holding on someone's face for an entire song is moronic. In the theater, you can let your eye wander during a song if you want. No such luck in the film. The movie medium would have been better employed *adding* to the song by, for example, visualizing in flashback what Fantine was singing about. But to plunk the camera down in front of a singer's face and leave it there? That's some lazy, unimaginative filmmaking. Yeah, I get that we want some close-ups to show how much emoting the actors are doing. Fine. But do something else from time to time!

Basically, this looked to me like a film directed and edited by people who had no idea how to direct or edit.

I think you've touched on why I was so disappointed in the film. I've never seen the live show, but it's on my list. The movie had the music, it had the costumes (not bad, but not what I had imagined with its budget), but BF came to see it with me and just didn't get it. He's seen the theatre show and loved it, but wasn't so impressed with the movie.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »

That's the real trouble. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables in the movie was the awkwardest thing ever without Les Amis d'ABC there to visually remind the audience.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

cheyne

« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
I had fogotten about Grease 2.  Worst song from this atrocity?  "Reproduction".   'Nuff said.

All yáll are ignorant nincompoops. That's right, I said it. Nincompoops! Grease 2 is an awesome movie. The only reason it's not the awesomest movie ever made is because it's tied for that honor with Flash Gordon. If Grease 2 had somehow managed to get Brian Blessed in its cast, it would be the undisputed champion.

I forgot about Flash Gordon.  I don't want to date myself, but I saw Flash in the theater on it's opening weekend!  Awesome movie  >:D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
I will agree about the editing of Les Mis. There's one part in the song between Marius and Cosette near the end and they chop the song up so oddly so that when she sings "Don't think about it, Marius..." Don't think about what? They cut out what he says ("Every day, I wonder every day, who was it brought me here, from the barricade") so that if you don't know you're left scratching your head, and if you do know, you're just annoyed.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
I had fogotten about Grease 2.  Worst song from this atrocity?  "Reproduction".   'Nuff said.

All yáll are ignorant nincompoops. That's right, I said it. Nincompoops! Grease 2 is an awesome movie. The only reason it's not the awesomest movie ever made is because it's tied for that honor with Flash Gordon. If Grease 2 had somehow managed to get Brian Blessed in its cast, it would be the undisputed champion.

I forgot about Flash Gordon.  I don't want to date myself, but I saw Flash in the theater on it's opening weekend!  Awesome movie  >:D
Oh Flash... so dreadful yet so very wonderful at the same time.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

SCMagnolia

« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
Quote from: SCMagnolia on November 08, 2013, 10:40:46 AM
Worst one I ever sat through was No Country For Old Men.  The  whole movie was violent and just screamed "evil" to me but I sat through it only to get to that ending that just seemed like the Cohen brothers got tired of playing filmmaker and walked away.  I was pissed that I sat through all that awfullness for that terrible what-the-hell-just-happened ending.

That ending was awful. I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just say if that was what I was supposed to take from that gore and violence, well crud, I could have figured out the essential message out myself.

My BIL was just watching this the other night.  I had called to talk to my sister and he answered and I asked what he was doing.  He told me and I said "Oh, THAT movie...  The ending is just unbefreakin'lieveable."  Unfortuately, he thought that meant the movie had an awesome ending....

He called me when it was all over and said I was no longer his favorite sis-in-law and that the VERY least I could have done for my only brother-in-law was to warn him that the ending was going to suck!!!!

I thought I did!   ???

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »
Re Les Mis.  In the live show, each of the students had names and a personality and lines.  In a play full of characters, you still know who each of them were.  In the movie, they don't have individual lines and you don't know who's who; they are just generic background players.  I will never forgive them for the blandness of Do You Hear the People Sing, and for cutting Grantaire's lines in Drink With Me.

Also, Eddie Eedmayne's (Marius) voice annoyed me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:45:22 AM by rose red »

Petticoats

« Reply #474 on: November 13, 2013, 10:54:15 AM »
Re Les Mis.  In the live show, each of the students had names and a personality and lines.  In a play full of characters, you still know who each of them were.  In the movie, they don't have individual lines and you don't know who's who; they are just generic background players.  I will never forgive them for the blandness of Do You Hear the People Sing, and for cutting Grantaire's lines in Drink With Me.

Also, Eddie Eedmayne's (Marius) voice annoyed me.

I thought Russell Crowe was markedly weaker in his singing than just about everyone else. Plus he always looked to me like he was having to concentrate really hard to hit the notes and was having some anxiety about his ability to pull it off. :D

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #475 on: November 13, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned Ferngully in Space.....Avatar? I fell asleep during the movie twice. The 3-D flight scenes made me motion sick. I honestly don't understand all the hype about it.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #476 on: November 13, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
There are movies that are so bad they're good, and movies that are so bad they're a blight on civilization.

The best bad movies are those made by people with genuine imagination (even if warped) with a very limited budget. There's a spark there, even if the monster is  a man in a gorilla suit with a diving helmet.

Campy movies that are intended to be campy are like trying to tickle yourself. It just doesn't have the same effect.

The worst movies to sit through are those made by people with a lot of resources, who simply won't make the effort to do anything inspired. I think you could make a drinking game out of Pearl Harbor, where you take a sip every time the movie does just what you saw coming a mile away, and a swig every time there's a plot hole that could have been easily fixed by a 10th grader doodling in their history notebook during class. But the risk of alcohol poisoning is too great.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

123sandy

« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
I hated Titanic, The English Patient, Ted, It's a Wonderful Life (sorry), all of those Mike Meyers English spy films...Austin Powers? And the worst one I've seen (well, not really I don't think I made it past the first half hour) was...I think it was Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansen in Japan? The name escapes me, but it was dreadful!

blueyzca01

« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
I hated Titanic, The English Patient, Ted, It's a Wonderful Life (sorry), all of those Mike Meyers English spy films...Austin Powers? And the worst one I've seen (well, not really I don't think I made it past the first half hour) was...I think it was Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansen in Japan? The name escapes me, but it was dreadful!

^^Lost in Translation
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

eltf177

« Reply #479 on: November 13, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »
It's always fun to read these threads to see how divergent peoples' tastes can be. Some of the most hated mentioned are my absolute favorites. Casablanca, Dr. Strangelove, Inglourious Basterds, to name a few.

Yea - I love Tarantino in general, and 2001 A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies ever (I also adore Arthur C Clarke's entire series of Odyssey books, but thought the script for the movie for 2010 was horrifically and unnecessarily dated).

I first read the condensed version of 2010 in Pl*yb*y, then read the entire novel. I _loved_ it. Then I saw the movie and wondered *just what in the blazes is this mess?* Too many unnecessary changes...