Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 31618 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
The worst movie you ever saw
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:29 AM »
DH has terrible taste in movies (in that he never likes what I like!) but we both like so-bad-it's-good movies so I really started this thread to get recommendations  :)  What's the worst movie you ever saw?

So-bad-it-was-awesome category: Robogeisha.  It's just so . . . Japanese, and then there's a fantastic amount of gratuitous violence, and the American voice actors did a fantastic job trying to take the dialogue seriously.  I put it on as a joke for a Valentine's Day movie and we were going to give it five minutes . . . I've seen it three times now.

So-bad-it-was-still-bad category: Northfork.  Gorgeous setting, beautiful cinematics, incredible scenery . . . would have been a nice place to put a plot.  Or some conflict.  Or something.  It's about a town that has to move because a dam is being put in which will flood the area, except there's no actual flooding going on, just a lot of small town life.  It's like "Our Town" but in 1950's Montana and without all the deep stuff I was supposed to get out of that play in high school english class but didn't.

So yeah, that's my vote - what are your worst movies?

Chip2

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »
The worst movie ever watched on purpose:  Manos:  Hands of Fate, but fortunately it was the MST3K version.

Worst movie ever watched by accident:  Spies Like Us.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
Worst movie I saw that others raved about: Lost in Translation.

nayberry

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
ultraviolet,  thats 90 minutes i'm never getting back

Sideways,  2 blokes drinking wine and complaining, just dull,

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
Dream Home (not to be confused with Dream House with Daniel Craig)  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831872/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2

It looks like a home movie some friends decided to make on a boring weekend.  Seriously, I've never seen anything like it.  I've seen more professional footage and acting on America's Funniest Home Video.

AnnaJane

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »
Future War, though I also watched the MST3K version. I honestly think it's not possible for a human to watch the original version and not suffer significant brain trauma.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
Worst of just plain bad: Dumb and Dumber (or it may have been a sequel).  Worse, that was shown at a retreat!

So bad it's great: Tie between Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and Lord Love A Duck.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:20 AM »
Worst movie i ever saw and actually the only one I've ever walked out of: The Color of MOney. This was just after Top Gun, which, as a college student in close proximity to the USNA, I loved. But this one. SOOOOO incredibly boring.

The other that comes to mind is The Royal Tennebaums. Which got RAVE reviews, and I kept waiting for it to get better but it never did. I just could not get into it. I'm still not completely sure what it was about.

And finally, to round out my tirfecta. The Butterfly Effect. I'm not good with movies that go back and forth, and where you can't quite figure out what the heck is going on.

Cami

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »
1.Yul. It was about 1981 or so. NYC. My friend and I were meeting my boyfriend (now my dh), his best friend and his best friend's girlfriend in Manhattan. Best friend and his girlfriend lived in Manhattan and said they'd come up with our plans. Imagine our disappointment when the plans in NYC ON A SATURDAY  NIGHT were to go see a movie. Our disappointment deepened, however, when we got to the movie they were so excited about and it was in Turkish about prisoners on a weekend furlough. The movie was even worse than expected. It was horrid. To add insult to injury, the best friend fell asleep!  The best moment was when the guy behind us stood up about 1 hour into what seemed like a 6 hour marathon and yelled, "THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE EVER!" Best friend fell off his seat. THAT was fun.

2. The Weatherman with  Nicholas Cage from a few years ago. It was my friend's turn to pick the movie. She's a huge Cage fan. Horrible movie. Depressing. Exploitive of the girl actress. Depressing. Did I mention it was depressing? I wanted to leave. She kept insisting, "It has to get better." Uh, no, it doesn't. At the end of the movie, the guy next to me said, "I don't know why that guy did NOT commit suicide because after watching this movie, I want to." My friend announced that she had forfeited all future rights to pick movies as a result.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »
Hoooo boy.

Worst film I got dragged to unwillingly (because I knew it was going to be dreadful): Johnny Mnemonic (it stars Keanu Reeves; nuff said)

Worst film I got stuck watching (because I was sleeping in the living room and thus couldn't go to bed until it was finished): City of Angels (it stars Nicholas Cage; nuff said)

Worst film seen on DVD (bought): Wicker Park (it stars Josh Hartnett as a pseudo stalker and it only goes downhill from there)

Worst film seen on DVD (rented): Black Mask 2 (90-120 minutes of my life I will never get back - and the only reason I made it through was in the hopes it would start making sense. It didn't.)

So-bad-its-good: The Scorpion King (it's utter drivel, but at least it's entertaining drivel!)

MrTango

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
Worst movie I ever saw on TV was called (I think) "Atomic Twister."  It was a made-for-TV film about a tornado that threatens to cause a nuclear power plan to melt down, or something...

I've seen lots of bad movies in theatres, but two stand out.
"The Sixth Sense"  (I realized what the plot "twist" was going to be about two minutes after Bruce Willis got shot).
"The Perfect Storm"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »
I did sit through 'Ishtar' just to see how bad it was.  The reviews were correct.  It was on TV and the ads were a relief.

'Last Year at Marienbad'  was pretentious, pointless,plotless, and useless.  The projectionist could easily have gotten the reels mixed-up and no one would have noticed.  It was a sure-fire insomnia killer.

Also, although some will consider it heresy, I detest 'Casablanca'.  The movie looks like the script was being written as it was shot.  I later learned that was exactly what happened. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:18:48 AM by Thipu1 »

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
Whale Rider.  I still don't think my brain has fully recovered.

alkira6

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
Supernova. I cajoled DH to come watch it in the theaters on opening weekend.  To this day, every time I mention a movie that might possibly be even the slightest bit maybe a little iffy, I get "remember Supernova?"

Horrible science, horrible acting, complete nonsense plot, utterly absurd ending.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
Saving Private Ryan.  The only movie I have ever walked out on.  After the first 15 minutes, I just couldn't take it anymore, all that violence.  I do realize that war is violent, but I didn't expect the filmmakers to make it look so real.  I didn't need to see that.