Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 36289 times)

darling

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
2012: Ice Age, via Netflix. My son and I were laughing so hard through most of it... Let's see... a volcano in Iceland erupted, causing a massive piece of a glacier to come barreling through Newfoundland on a heading towards... you guessed it... New York City. Highlights include footage of the main character and his family driving through "horrendous" blizzard conditions (looks like they filmed in light blowing snow, and used the same footage on a loop - we live in Iowa, and every time it snowed this winter, we would cry out, ICE AGE 2013!!!!), the military using nukes to try to stop or slow down the out of control glacier, the family somehow actually finding the daughter who was stuck in New York, despite no cell connections, and New York City being, well, as big as New York City, and some guy car jacking the family, despite NOT having a gun, and the family having a giant SUV.

Seriously, it was so bad it was funny. You could almost hear the actors mentally eviscerating their agents for getting them into this.

MrTango

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:25 PM »
Saving Private Ryan.  The only movie I have ever walked out on.  After the first 15 minutes, I just couldn't take it anymore, all that violence.  I do realize that war is violent, but I didn't expect the filmmakers to make it look so real.  I didn't need to see that.

I stayed for the whole thing, but during those opening scenes, I sat and didn't move a muscle. I was also amazed at how realistic it was, so I can see why you left.  I don't know that I even breathed during that time.

I saw Private Ryan when it was in theaters.  At the end of the D-day scene, I looked down and realized my popcorn was nearly gone.  Whenever someone mentions that movie, I still wonder what it said about a 15-year-old boy who sat scarfing down popcorn during that scene...

I also hated "Titanic" for the acting.  I saw it four times in the theater because watching the ship sink was totally worth being exposed to horrible acting and Kate Winslet's...assets.

When I saw "Johnny Mnemonic" I thought it'd be awesome to be able to incorporate an artificial data storage device in someone's head.  I'd bet you could get all the raw information necessary for a couple of Doctoral level degrees into a microSD card.

magicdomino

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
Saving Private Ryan.  The only movie I have ever walked out on.  After the first 15 minutes, I just couldn't take it anymore, all that violence.  I do realize that war is violent, but I didn't expect the filmmakers to make it look so real.  I didn't need to see that.

I stayed for the whole thing, but during those opening scenes, I sat and didn't move a muscle. I was also amazed at how realistic it was, so I can see why you left.  I don't know that I even breathed during that time.

One of the group that I was with spent the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan in the lobby.  According to a theater employee, this was not uncommon, and he was able to tell her when it was safe to go back inside.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »
So bad it was still bad: "Master of Disguise"

I actually watched it on purpose due to a really colorful bad review with the following (paraphrased): "The only way to explain this movie is that Hollywood executives are a race of aliens and this has been released as a test for a planned invasion of Planet Earth.  If anybody laughs at this movie, we are too stupid to make good slaves."

It was as bad as promised.

heartmug

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »
Someone already said it:  Ishtar.

Also Vanilla Sky and Howard the Duck.  Wish I could have those hours from my life back.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »
Eyes Wide Shut.

I got treated to that movie and I still think I paid too much.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
The Sixth Sense is one of my favorite movies.
Lord, Love a Duck, I couldn't even finish watching.
I didn't like the book and liked the movie even less...Gone With the Wind.  it made me shy of movies with overtures.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
Apt Pupil.  I love Ian McKellen, but that movie was just horrible.

I never saw this, but was it based on a Stephen King novella?  About a boy who discovers his neighbor is a former Nazi concentration camp guard or physician?  If so, that story was so disturbing to me, I can't imagine the movie.

Only movie I ever walked out on was Angie, with Geena Davis.  My college roommate and I went to it, and walked out halfway through.  I can't even remember what it was about, but I remember thinking the acting was just horrible.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
It looks like a home movie some friends decided to make on a boring weekend.  Seriously, I've never seen anything like it.  I've seen more professional footage and acting on America's Funniest Home Video.

This describes my nomination for the so-bad-it's-just-plain-excruciating-to-watch category - "In The Dead of Winter." Mr. Bottlecaps and I have one of those horror movie packs that comes with usually six or eight movies, all B movies, and they're usually not great at all but we kind of enjoy watching B movies so that doesn't matter to us. So, after watching a few in the pack that were decent (by our tastes, anyway), we watched this one. That's two hours of my life I'm never getting back, unfortunately. We kept watching despite the crappy filming and crappy acting because we thought, "Well, maybe the plot will get better." It didn't. It was nauseatingly awful, the filming really did look like it was done with someone's home video recorder, and the acting seemed like they just went out on the street up to random people and said, "Hey, wanna make a movie this weekend? We'll pay ya twenty bucks!" If you ever get the chance to watch this movie, take a pass, seriously.

House of 1000 Corpses. Rob Zombie not only owes me the price of admission, but 2 hours of my life as well. It seems sad to me that he doesn't get that you have to want to root for someone in a horror movie. If you just hate everyone, you have no investment in the plot.

Anyway, that movie is why we created the "Rob Zombie rule". We sat through that whole movie because it had to get better. It didn't. So, now, after 15 minutes or less, if a movie is dreadful, we acknowledge that it probably isn't going to get better and cut our losses.

LOL, love the name of the rule. :) Perhaps I should make one up and call it the "Dead of Winter rule." I actually didn't mind "House of 1000 Corpses" though. Really the only character I absolutely could not stand was Baby. It's not at the top of my favorites list or anything, but I am willing to watch it with Mr. Bottlecaps (he loves the movie).
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

turtleIScream

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »
Horrible movies I wish I could forget watching:

The Million Dollar Hotel
Prelude to a Kiss
The Last Airbender

Movies that are so bad they're good:

Surf Ninjas
Starship Troopers (1 & 3)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
Eyes Wide Shut.

I got treated to that movie and I still think I paid too much.

Agreed. 

A friend fell asleep on this film three times (from a rental) in the same place, missing the last half hour.  The same thing happened to me when I attempted to watch this on HBO. 

My mother taped it off HBO and I watched the last hour of it at her place.  I want those three hours back, so I told my friend she didn't miss anything worthwhile.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
The worst movie ever watched on purpose:  Manos:  Hands of Fate, but fortunately it was the MST3K version.

Worst movie ever watched by accident:  Spies Like Us.

Agreed. Anything on MST3K is worth watching!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 01:02:37 PM »

Don't troll me, flame me, flog me etc but I HATED Titanic. Great effects, great set & costume design but horrible, horrible writing and acting!

I won't flame you and I'll jump right in there with you.  Overwrought emoting, horrible writing, and when you don't even like the main characters you're supposed to like, you know you're in a bad movie.

That movie was so full of holes it resembled swiss cheese! Leonard Di's character survived for a long time in that water. Wrong. Hitting that water would have been like hitting cement. And if you survived that, hypothermia would've killed you very quickly.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
I agree with so many suggestions here: Howard the Duck, Vanilla Sky, Ishtar, Eyes Wide Shut.

My own addition: The Beach. When you don't care what happens to anyone in the cast, the movie maker has failed.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 01:09:09 PM »

Don't troll me, flame me, flog me etc but I HATED Titanic. Great effects, great set & costume design but horrible, horrible writing and acting!

I won't flame you and I'll jump right in there with you.  Overwrought emoting, horrible writing, and when you don't even like the main characters you're supposed to like, you know you're in a bad movie.

That movie was so full of holes it resembled swiss cheese! Leonard Di's character survived for a long time in that water. Wrong. Hitting that water would have been like hitting cement. And if you survived that, hypothermia would've killed you very quickly.
It's been years since I watched that movie but didn't they ride the ship down into the water? I didn't think they actually jumped.