Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 36322 times)

Whimsyone

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
I confess..don't hate me! Neither my husband or I liked "Les Miz". Huge, over-dramatic waste of time! And I'm a singer! Didn't like the sung dialog, emotional messes of main songs, or Anne Hathaway coming back for Hugh Jackman at the end. Very cheesy! But I did like Helene and Sasha in their parts! And Jackman's "Send Him Home."
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
Octopussy. I dislike Roger Moore as Bond to start out with (not his fault, I just prefer Connery and Craig), and the jokes are too tired for me, plus death by octopus, plus Bond dressing as a clown. I would rather watch George Lazenby's Bond movie over and over again rather than watch Octopussy ever again. I would rather make a movie of myself scrubbing my feet than ever watch that stupid, stupid, horrible movie again.
~~~~

The Prince and the Showgirl. Good grief, what an atrocity. I really did try to watch it, but 10 - 15 minutes was all I could take. I'm not sure who was worst in that movie, and, frankly I don't care. By the time I decided it wasn't for me, I was about to hit the TV because everyone was all wrong for their roles.

Agree with both of these.  (I especially agree with your Bond preferences.) I like Olivier and Monroe, but this film didn't work.  It wasn't funny and it wasn't romantic.  I have to watch "Now Voyager" to wash out my brain if I have to watch TP&TSG with my grandmother.

Ha! You have great taste in Bette Davis movies!  :D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
Anything with Jim Carrey. Really-I don't get why anyone would like his brand of humor. It's just not funny in any way that I can see.

He did a few things that's not too "Jim Carrey."  I liked Liar, Liar (it's humor, but not too bad) and The Majestic (not a comedy).  The Truman Show is not goofy either.  There's also the movie where he played Andy Kaufman.

eta: nobody has to like him or his movies, but he doesn't just play goofy and gross.

I am not into the Jim Carrey brand of humor (or, eve, most American comedies), but I did enjoy Liar, Liar.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

HGolightly

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2013, 10:10:28 PM »
SamiHami I love old, classic  Hollywood movies but I have never been able to stay awake during Dr Zhivago.....and I am an insomniac. Booooooooorrrrrriiiiiinnnnggggg!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
Worst movie ever for me:  Dr Strangelove.  There wasn't one enjoyable moment in that entire black hole.  People say it's a dark comedy, to which Isay "Is 'dark' code name for 'ineffective' now?"  They wasted a lot of good actors (they deliberately wasted the talent of George C Scott...) and I will never willingly sit through another minute of it.  I even heard it was one of the best movies, ever, so I watched to the end credits.  That was one of the three worst decisions I've ever made, and I've seen the inside of a jail cell.

Other horrid, horrid movies with no redeeming value (that I've seen at least half of, so as not to fill the list with "I want those five minutes back"):

Twilight.  Rifftrax made it barely tolerable.
Windtalkers.  Nicholas Cage at his... well, Nicholas Cage-iest.  The man couldn't act sad if you told him he'd have to sit through a Nicholas Cage movie marathon.
I second The Core.  When you can make Deep Core look good by comparison, oh my.
Star Trek (2009).  Words cannot express the depths to which this movie sank, then started drilling.
Hulk (2003).  It's a wonder the Marvel movieverse even survived it.
The Dark Knight.  Dull, plodding, and Batman's lines made me laugh far more than Joker's.  (Mostly because he sounded like he gargles with thumbtacks)

Gyburc

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
I'm not sure this was the worst film I've ever seen (that honour goes to In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale), but DH and I tried to watch There Will Be Blood last weekend. We sat through two hours and then just gave up and turned it off. It didn't help that every time I saw a close-up of Daniel Day-Lewis, he reminded me of Inigo Montoya.

This was supposed to be a really good film and it got lots of awards, but why?

I liked some of the films that some PPs didn't - Pulp Fiction, Star Trek (2009) etc., but I agree with Diane about The Dark Knight. I went to see that film expecting a really good performance from Heath Ledger, but honestly I felt he fluffed it, which was quite sad.

And I saw Les Mis in the theatre on my 18th birthday and loved it with a passion. Saw it a few weeks ago, aged 39, with DH and it left me completely cold. Either it didn't translate well into film or (more likely) I am now too jaded and cynical to enjoy it.  ;D

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Library Dragon

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2013, 11:28:35 PM »
I blocked out The Iron Lady. I borrowed it from the library and was embarrassed that I wasted library money on buying it.  I think Wrath of the Titans was a better purchase.  It's a more honest movie--No one will mistake it for historically accurate.  Love her or hate her, but Thatcher is an interesting person.  Instead we got a film about dementia.  A boring film about dementia. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Palladium

• Gemfire Wire Jewellery
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »
I agree with so many of the movies already mentioned, but the one that annoyed me the most hasn't yet.

Alexander. I can only assume that Colin Farrell only agreed to do it to get jobs for all his mates, because all the Greeks had Irish accents. Val Kilmer was awful as Philip, and Angelina Jolie was just plain creepy as Alexander's mother, doing some strange accent I couldn't identify. The whole thing was completely disjointed, confusing and way too long. I still can't believe I stayed until the end.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »
Some friends and I were having an evening of classic horror movies, and we chose something called The Last Woman on Earth. It had a quasi-interesting premise of a disaster befalling Earth and three people being the only ones to survive. Great, I love post-apocalyptic stuff. Not this. We waited the entire movie for it to start. We kept thinking "now... no, now... okay, now," but nothing ever happened! The only part of the whole movie we enjoyed was when the two male characters were arguing over the woman while out fishing and honestly started slapping each other with fish. We all cracked up and were cheering them on.

I think the worst movie I ever saw in a theater was Tailor of Panama. I thought Pierce Brosnan could save anything, but dear lord, this was a miserable piece of drek.

pinkyblue

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2013, 12:44:51 AM »
I guess I won't confess due to its popularity, to the last movie I deserted in its last half hour,  :)  But the one before that that I walked out on was "The River" with Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. Holy cow, that was bad (beginning but also ending, unforgivably, with a bunch of cliches)! 

Lynnv

« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2013, 01:23:22 AM »
  I am sure I have mentioned these before in similar threads, but they remain my top picks for the "I want my 2 hours back" class of movies.

The Core
A film with everything.  Laughable science.   Unlikeable wooden characters with all the charm of wallpaper paste.   A plot that a ninth grader would have written for a school project and gotten a D on.   And awful acting.   DH puts this at the top of his list. 

Dune
The movie was worse, but I didn't like the miniseries either.  One was a terrible adaptation of one of my favorite books.   The other was merely bad. 

Starship Troopers
Take one of the classic sci-if novels of all time, written by one of the grand masters of the genre.  Use the character names and make a movie that would otherwise be unrecognizable as being made from that book.   To be fair, I would not find it nearly as unbearable if they had not claimed it was from the classic novel by Heinlein.   

Nightfall
Take arguably the finest sci-fi short story ever.  Stir in an half-baked romance.   And then make a movie so bad that it might actually warp the fabric of space time.   

Seriously, is there some rule that no book from Heinlein or Asimov can ever be made into a decent movie?  And that most sci-fi classics will be ruined if they are filmed?   Sheesh. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Nora

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »
I know it's been mentioned, but Iron Sky. Come on, a movie about Space nazis from the moon who turn a black guy white with their "technology" and land on earth to get the new Reich going from the great old US of A? And Bob, the one who so desperately HAD to see this movie, and who swore to me it would be hilarious, fell asleep after 10 minutes. There I sat, getting more and more insulted on all sides (I'm mixed race, and my caucasian half was just as horrified as my Ethiopian half...), with Bob snoring blissfully beside me.  ::)
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

zyrs

• spiffily male.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »
Also, although some will consider it heresy, I detest 'Casablanca'.  The movie looks like the script was being written as it was shot.  I later learned that was exactly what happened.
Here's at least one other person on earth, who's on board with you re this one. With me -- I was badly put off by associating with a former friend, who was a film buff of the most snobby, pretentious kind. Humphrey Bogart was this fellow's deity: he was forever doing irritating impressions of the stuff the guy said, particularly from 'Casablanca', which was the Bogart film he lauded to the skies above all others. These goings-on caused me to swear never, ever to watch 'Casablanca'. That was decades ago, and I still haven't.

Worst film which I have actually seen: 'Attack On The Iron Coast', made 1967. A World War 2 story (raid from Britain into occupied France) -- chock-full of all the most stilted, cliche-ish World-War-2-film cliches. So much so, that I suspect it was made as a parody of the genre, though not marketed as such. I saw it by chance, not long after it was released (it was the B feature, to the film which we actually wanted to see). So cornily bad, that it was hilarious.

Geekychick1984

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2013, 07:12:20 AM »
My husband has Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter at home waiting for us to watch together. I am dreading it...I'd like to say I hope it'll have some redeeming value to it, but...hmmm....I suspect it will belong on this list as well.

DH and I watched this NYE this year On Demand.  I found it to be in the "it's so bad it's funny" genre.