Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 41080 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
I actually did walk out of Eyes Wide Shut when I saw it in theaters.  My mom asked why I was home early, and I told her what it was about.  She agreed I was right to walk out.  ;)

I hated Stealth.  DH and I like futuristic, sci-fi movies, but Stealth was just awful awful awful.  My DH said he thought the actor (maybe Jamie Foxx?) who was killed in the first 15 minutes probably made that a condition of agreeing to be in the movie.  Whenever we see a movie I don't like, DH asks me if I thought it was as bad as Stealth. 

I thought The Prestige was pretty terrible.  The twist at the end made me feel like I'd been duped. 

I've fallen asleep while trying to watch The Fast and the Furious multiple times.  It's just...not exciting.  So maybe this is the worst movie I've never seen?  :P

So bad it's good - League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  DH and I spend the entire movie giggling insanely at the weird, stupid things that happen.  Like the Nautilus being the size of a 15 story building, and somehow managing to sail submerged up the Thames.  Or Nemo developing ICBM's and launching one in Venice.  Or the fact that Nina Harker is a vampire.  Or any of the other insanities they try to play off. 

MrTango

« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
Can't believe I made it through the whole thread and no one mentioned Waterworld or Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Two of Kevin Costner's biggest stinkers.

In RH:PoT he can't maintain an English accent and gives up at some point and morphs into some kind of Brooklyn, NY accent, except that Costner is from California. The movie was trying to be dramatic and romantic but fails miserably on both fronts. It might have succeeded as a comedy; Alan Rickman as the Sheriff was hilarious -- but I'm not sure he was supposed to be.

If you haven't seen "Robin Hood: Men In Tights"...see it!  Mel Brooks rips on the Costner movie something fierce.
I loved Men in Tights! I like most of Mel Brooks movies although Space Balls got to be a little too dumb for my taste.

"Unlike some *other* Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!"

Actually, I liked Spaceballs.  It wasn't as good as History of the World Part I or Blazing Saddles, but it had some great one-liners.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
Can't believe I made it through the whole thread and no one mentioned Waterworld or Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Two of Kevin Costner's biggest stinkers.

In RH:PoT he can't maintain an English accent and gives up at some point and morphs into some kind of Brooklyn, NY accent, except that Costner is from California. The movie was trying to be dramatic and romantic but fails miserably on both fronts. It might have succeeded as a comedy; Alan Rickman as the Sheriff was hilarious -- but I'm not sure he was supposed to be.

If you haven't seen "Robin Hood: Men In Tights"...see it!  Mel Brooks rips on the Costner movie something fierce.
I loved Men in Tights! I like most of Mel Brooks movies although Space Balls got to be a little too dumb for my taste.

Actually, I liked Spaceballs.  It wasn't as good as History of the World Part I or Blazing Saddles, but it had some great one-liners.

"He's an Ahole sir."
"I know that, what's his name?"
"That is his name, sir. Ahole, Major Ahole."
"And his cousin?"
"He's an Ahole too sir. Gunner's class first mate Phillip Ahole."
"How many Aholes we got on this ship?"
"YO!"
"I knew it, I'm surrounded by Aholes!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »

Blazing Saddles is Brooks' best work, but I just do not find a single moment of HotWPtI funny in the slightest.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2013, 07:02:26 AM »
Two Academy Award winners (or at least nominated):  Howard's End and Sling Blade.  Both horrible.

I can't think of the name but there was a period piece with Michelle Pfeiffer and Daniel Day Lewis.  First movie I didn't watch through to the end.

Black Rain.  It was some sort of thriller with Michael Douglas.  Or was it Kurt Russell?  I slept through the middle of it - in the theatre.

And the poster who mentioned Mullholland Drive?  I agree.  Still no idea what that was about.

That was The Age of Innocence.  I enjoyed that one despite that Michelle Pfeiffer isn't up to Daniel Day Lewis is ability.

Verloona Ti

« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »
I rented Crimes of Passion from netflix, watched it last night. As an "erotic thriller", it belongs on this list, but as a (unintentional) comedy it was enjoyable. Dumb script , no logic, lousy acting (from the married couple mostly) , hilariously bad dialogue, styles and furnishings that make it a perfect time capsule of the early 1980s -what's not to love????

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2013, 08:10:03 AM »
Freddy Got Fingered -- the movie where Tom Green swings a newborn around by the umbilical cord while screaming Wakey! Wakey! Wakey!

I still have nightmares. :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:20 AM »
Son of the Mask.  Oh my heavens was that a terrible movie!!!!! And the special effects were terrifying!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
There is, apparently, some justification for Kevin Costner's lack of accent in Prince of Thieves.

Nowadays, not a lot of dialogue is shown on film just as the actors speak it during filming. Much of it is overdubbed later, so that the voices are clearer. Costner was, apparently, told that he could read his lines without an accent during filming, because he would be able to redo them all in the sound studio.

Then, in an effort to get the film out (there was a smaller production of a Robin Hood film being made at the same time, and PoT wanted to be out first), the studio skipped the post-filming sound work.

So, the lack of attention to accents is, at least in the main, attributable to the studio rather than Costner. Of course, in better productions, such as The Lord of the Rings, studios bring in speech coaches to ensure the actors have the right accent. They don't just go, "Sound English, OK?" when there are gazillions of very specific types of English accents to choose from. If Costner was given no direction at all, I can't quite blame him for the whole mess.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »
I hate hate hate the American version of Wings of Desire with a passion. The original German version is my favourite film of all times and what they did to it is just wrong on so many levels. Left the theatre when it became clear that they didn't get what the film was really about.

Sheltering Sky. It was just the worst kind of nothing really happens but we are miserable stuff in stunning surroundings admittedly. But not good. Even John Malkovich couldn't save it. I walked out of that too.

And Uwe Boll's Seed. It is a terrible terrible terrible film. So terrible it's worse than terrible. I accidentally saw his Auschwitz film recently and actually it wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't total excrement either.

I hate Titanic. I don't like Dirty Dancing at all. I feel asleep during the Avengers.

Also, I cannot post this without mentioning Blair Witch II. It was almost so bad it was good, but not quite.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

BarensMom

« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
My DH believed the reviews and took me to see Quentin Taratino's version of "Inglorious Basterds."  What a crummy take on fake history.

DH also took me to see "Battlefield Earth," which was so bad that the best part of the movie was when they stopped it and turned up the lights because I dropped my wedding ring.  The other 5 people in the theater were incredibly nice about it and helped us look.  After it was found, all of us left without watching the end.

DH and I found Coriolanus (2011) so boring, that we both took a nap in the theater.  Best nap ever, though.  I've been thinking about buying the DVD as a cure for insomnia.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »
I forgot to mention the Wickerman remake. Holy macaroni!. It was bad. So so bad.

The original? Pure genius.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:58:44 AM by Perfect Circle »
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
On the subject of fake history, Disney's Pocahontas.

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
An Awfully Big Adventure.

How bad could a comedy featuring Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Edward "Lord Peter Wimsey" Petherbridge and Alan "Watson from Young Sherlock Holmes" Cox be, you ask? When it centers on aging, closeted sexuality, orphans, destructive interpersonal relationships, accidental incest and suicide, it turns out that the answer is "Very, very, very bad." I laughed once, and not at anything I can even approximate repeating on the forum.

Alan Rickman in a bomber jacket is very pretty, but please, please, get your Alan-Rickman-in-a-bomber-jacket fix elsewhere.
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

Geekychick1984

« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
Let's add Tim Burton's insult to Dark Shadows.  While the first 20 minutes were good the rest of the film was astonishingly bad.

yup.  This is the first Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie I couldn't finish.