Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 43056 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Dante's Inferno - I actually enjoy the first half of this movie or so.  SPOILER ALERT.   

But as soon as the volcano erupts, the movie goes from fun fluff to "are you kidding me".  Each scene has something more unbelievable than the last - it's like they kept trying to out do themselves in the most unrealistic situation ever.  Newsflash - volcanic lava WILL melt your car, regardless of what this movie tries to tell you.

Add to that Volcano... additional newsflash, being directly OVER lava is not good for you.

Pen^2

« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
"Ultra Violet". For the first five or ten minutes, I was enjoying the cool visuals and effects and soundtrack. Then I discovered that the entire movie was that, with nothing new, for two hours or something. The same special effects over and over and over so frequently that you don't just get used to them, you rapidly grow sick of them. The plot was the worst part, because it almost could have been reshaped into something interesting, but it was instead clearly cut and diluted in favour of more repetitive special effects.

I will never get those two hours of my life back.

robobecky

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
Another for me is Silent Hill. Saw it in the theater and the best part was when an audience member made Tarzan sound effects when the lead character was swinging from a vine ;D. It didn't help that I'd had no idea it was based on a video game so was very confused during parts of the movie that make no sense if you are not familiar with the game.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
Dear Miss Misery,

How convenient that 'G.I. Joe.  Rise of the Cobra' is offered on TV tonight.  We must at least take a look at it.

Quotes from today's review of G.I. Joe: Retaliation: "If a big, dumb action movie knows it's a big, dumb action movie and revels in that fact, is that preferable to a big, dumb action movie making the mistake of thinking it's significant, relevant art?"  The answer is, in short, yes (the second movie referred to is Olympus Has Fallen).  Also, "That's not to say that this "G.I. Joe" is good, aside from a couple of dazzling action set pieces, but at least it's efficient in its muscular mindlessness."    ;D
This perfectly sums up why I love almost any Vin Diesel movie. He doesn't pretend to be a great actor and I can just look at his muscles and listen to that beautiful deep voice for a while without worrying about following a plot or character development...there isn't any  :D
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #214 on: March 31, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »
Dante's Inferno - I actually enjoy the first half of this movie or so.  SPOILER ALERT.   

But as soon as the volcano erupts, the movie goes from fun fluff to "are you kidding me".  Each scene has something more unbelievable than the last - it's like they kept trying to out do themselves in the most unrealistic situation ever.  Newsflash - volcanic lava WILL melt your car, regardless of what this movie tries to tell you.

Add to that Volcano... additional newsflash, being directly OVER lava is not good for you.

I also seem to remember a scene with Grandma and a boat that was  ::)  :o

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »
I know I am the only person on this planet that thought Dances with Wolves was boring - but I am.  I thought it was awfully dull and have never seen all of it.  oops

I did not enjoy Chariots of Fire either. 

I hate it when I feel guilty for not enjoying movies that everyone else LOVES!  Especially Oscar winners   :-[

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
I know I am the only person on this planet that thought Dances with Wolves was boring - but I am.  I thought it was awfully dull and have never seen all of it.  oops

I hate it when I feel guilty for not enjoying movies that everyone else LOVES!  Especially Oscar winners   :-[

You are not as alone as you think... :)
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Redwing

« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »

You definitely aren't.  What a snoozefest.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »

Mom loved it.  I tried.  It's saying something when Costner is the upbeat part of a film.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
catbug wrote:

"I have to say the worst movie I ever saw was suggested by my mum, and even she agrees that it was a huge mistake. The Gods Must Be Crazy."

See, I found it to be very entertaining.  You know how someone will tell you something like, "you'll like this if you like British humor" or such?  It's like that, in that humor that comes from sub-Saharan Africa is peculiar and it either tickles you or it really doesn't.  If it doesn't then I can only imagine how awful it would be to sit through hours of it.

LazyDisy wrote:

"This perfectly sums up why I love almost any Vin Diesel movie. He doesn't pretend to be a great actor and I can just look at his muscles and listen to that beautiful deep voice for a while without worrying about following a plot or character development...there isn't any"

For one where he almost did some good acting, check out Pitch Black.

Redneck Gravy wrote:

"I know I am the only person on this planet that thought Dances with Wolves was boring - but I am.  I thought it was awfully dull and have never seen all of it."

I liked it and I still thought it was far too long, so you're not wrong in my opinion.  The funny part is that I've thought that way about many Kevin Costner films.

Virg

LazyDaisy

« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »
catbug wrote:

"I have to say the worst movie I ever saw was suggested by my mum, and even she agrees that it was a huge mistake. The Gods Must Be Crazy."

See, I found it to be very entertaining.  You know how someone will tell you something like, "you'll like this if you like British humor" or such?  It's like that, in that humor that comes from sub-Saharan Africa is peculiar and it either tickles you or it really doesn't.  If it doesn't then I can only imagine how awful it would be to sit through hours of it.

LazyDisy wrote:

"This perfectly sums up why I love almost any Vin Diesel movie. He doesn't pretend to be a great actor and I can just look at his muscles and listen to that beautiful deep voice for a while without worrying about following a plot or character development...there isn't any"

Redneck Gravy wrote:

"I know I am the only person on this planet that thought Dances with Wolves was boring - but I am.  I thought it was awfully dull and have never seen all of it."

I liked it and I still thought it was far too long, so you're not wrong in my opinion.  The funny part is that I've thought that way about many Kevin Costner films.

Virg

I've seen it, and the follow up Chronicles of Riddick.

They're not the worst Sci-Fi films I've ever seen. I think that honor goes to Ghosts of Mars -- bleck. I agree with a Rotten Tomatoes review: "Mad Max Heads for the Angry Red Planet on a Pitch Black Night of the Living Dead." For a really gory Sci Fi "thriller" starring Jason Statham, Ice Cube, and directed by John Carpenter, it was mind-numbingly dull and dumb. By the middle of the movie, I ended up hoping the "zombies" won but couldn't manage to watch it through to the end.

Diesel's style of acting is to flex menacingly, smirk in both a scary and sexy way, and deliver a great one-liner. He almost never plays a likable character, and yet I end up cheering for him. He plays it really quite well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »

I remember some wag calling it "Lunches with Agents.'
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #222 on: April 01, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »

Mom loved it.  I tried.  It's saying something when Costner is the upbeat part of a film.

But Costner wasn't in Chariots of Fire....

... Oh. Never mind.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:15 AM »
catbug wrote:

LazyDisy wrote:

Redneck Gravy wrote:

Virg

I've seen it, and the follow up Chronicles of Riddick.

They're not the worst Sci-Fi films I've ever seen. I think that honor goes to Ghosts of Mars -- bleck. I agree with a Rotten Tomatoes review: "Mad Max Heads for the Angry Red Planet on a Pitch Black Night of the Living Dead." For a really gory Sci Fi "thriller" starring Jason Statham, Ice Cube, and directed by John Carpenter, it was mind-numbingly dull and dumb. By the middle of the movie, I ended up hoping the "zombies" won but couldn't manage to watch it through to the end.

Diesel's style of acting is to flex menacingly, smirk in both a scary and sexy way, and deliver a great one-liner. He almost never plays a likable character, and yet I end up cheering for him. He plays it really quite well.

You all should watch Find Me Guilty. Vin Diesel captures the swagger of Jackie DiNorscio perfectly.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2013, 07:16:55 AM »
The only movie I saw where Vin Diesel did a comedy  (not counting clever  one-liners in action movies) was The Pacifier, playing a Navy Seal who gets assigned to take care of a family that's lost the father to spies who were looking for some program.   

It wasn't a good movie but it did have its funny moments.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata