Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 39056 times)

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2013, 08:18:32 AM »
For me it's Panic Room and Ghost Ship. I've never been a huge Kristen Stewart fan because she seems to have only 1 expression. Ghost Ship was just bad, bad, bad. Bad plot, bad script, bad acting. I was dating my now dh at the time and he fell asleep it was so awful. Ghost Ship is how we guage the awfulness of a movie now.

I didn't think it would be possible to dislike the end of Ghost Ship more than the rest of the movie, but it certainly was. That was the movie where I began to have a suspicion that I'll watch any old thing that has Gabriel Byrne in it. ( I have also seen Hello Again and End of Days, so that theory is pretty well confirmed!)
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »
I present the Nicholas Cage remake of The Wicker Man.   The 1973 original had the incomparable Christopher Lee and was all Shirley Jackson-ish shock.  Nicholas Cage managed to make the story funny.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
Speaking of Kristen Stewart, that reminds me of another movie I saw but I can't remember the name.  Began with a Z, involved two young boys who played a game and ended up in space.  Was quite a rip off of Jumanji.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

booklover03

« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »
Speaking of Kristen Stewart, that reminds me of another movie I saw but I can't remember the name.  Began with a Z, involved two young boys who played a game and ended up in space.  Was quite a rip off of Jumanji.

That was Zathura.

booklover03

« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »
For me it's Panic Room and Ghost Ship. I've never been a huge Kristen Stewart fan because she seems to have only 1 expression. Ghost Ship was just bad, bad, bad. Bad plot, bad script, bad acting. I was dating my now dh at the time and he fell asleep it was so awful. Ghost Ship is how we guage the awfulness of a movie now.

I didn't think it would be possible to dislike the end of Ghost Ship more than the rest of the movie, but it certainly was. That was the movie where I began to have a suspicion that I'll watch any old thing that has Gabriel Byrne in it. ( I have also seen Hello Again and End of Days, so that theory is pretty well confirmed!)

My mom is the same way with Pierce Brosnan  ;D.

daen

« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »

That was Zathura.

I'm not prepared to call Zathura a ripoff - more along the lines of a sequel or a "same-universe" story.

Both Zathura and Jumanji were originally kids' books by Chris Van Alburg.  Zathura is the later of the two, and refers back a number of times to Jumanji, both in text and illustrations. In (the book) Zathura, the kids have the Jumanji board game, but decide to play this other board game, Zathura, instead.
And then, of course, stuff ensues.
At the end of the book, one of the boys takes the Jumanji game and stuffs it in the trash, suggesting he has a pretty good idea what will happen if they start playing that, too.

I've seen both books at my library - the illustrations are fantastic.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »

Color of Night -- Bruce Willis' first and last foray into soft-core p0rn; it's hard to believe that Willis was in Pulp Fiction, which was released the same year.  Color of Night is like a Skinemax movie with actual actors in it. The supporting cast consisting of Lance Henriksen, Brad Dourif, Lesley Ann Warren, Kevin J. O'Connor, Scott Bakula, and Ruben Blades are completely wasted. There's a "shocking" plot twist that any idiot can see coming from a mile away. As of 2013 it remains the first and only movie to win the Razzie for Worst Film and nothing else.

I had forgotten this one...yes horrible is being too kind to this movie.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

That was Zathura.

I'm not prepared to call Zathura a ripoff - more along the lines of a sequel or a "same-universe" story.

Both Zathura and Jumanji were originally kids' books by Chris Van Alburg.  Zathura is the later of the two, and refers back a number of times to Jumanji, both in text and illustrations. In (the book) Zathura, the kids have the Jumanji board game, but decide to play this other board game, Zathura, instead.
And then, of course, stuff ensues.
At the end of the book, one of the boys takes the Jumanji game and stuffs it in the trash, suggesting he has a pretty good idea what will happen if they start playing that, too.

I've seen both books at my library - the illustrations are fantastic.

Ah okay.  I didn't realize they were both done by the same author, that makes more sense.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mikayla

« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
Independence Day.  Maybe I should call it the most disappointing, because I'm a summer blockbuster nerd and I'll sit through almost anything, ignoring all plot holes.  But this was a fail from beginning to end.  The President of the US flying a crop duster?  Uh, no....

I also agree with PPs on Matrix and Forrest Gump.  On the latter, everyone swore I'd love it just like everyone else.  Everyone was wrong. 

I also loathed this comedy called What About Bob?  I tried 3 times and lasted less than 15 minutes.

Oh, and on recent ones, it has to be Carnage with Jodie Foster, who I love.  But it was too strange for words. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
Independence Day.  Maybe I should call it the most disappointing, because I'm a summer blockbuster nerd and I'll sit through almost anything, ignoring all plot holes.  But this was a fail from beginning to end.  The President of the US flying a crop duster?  Uh, no....

I also agree with PPs on Matrix and Forrest Gump.  On the latter, everyone swore I'd love it just like everyone else.  Everyone was wrong. 

I also loathed this comedy called What About Bob?  I tried 3 times and lasted less than 15 minutes.

Oh, and on recent ones, it has to be Carnage with Jodie Foster, who I love.  But it was too strange for words.

I loved the Matrix (and the fan edit of the sequels that removed all of the Zion stuff), and I personally think What About Bob is Murray's second best work, second only to Groundhog Day and yes, surpassing Ghostbusters.  But that's the great thing about art, it's entirely subjective.  :)  I mean, Michael Keaton's Batman (which was a real dud) beat Weird Al's UHF (which was hilarious) the year they came out.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

I don't recall POTUS flying a crop duster in ID4. Fighter jet, yes - but not a crop duster. I love it, but I do so dearly love action movies.

Forrest Gump I rented once to try to find a scene alluded to in a film studies class I was taking (Prof mentioned a scene from a famous movie that Tom Hanks had been digitally added to for a bit in Gump). It was so awful I watched the whole thing on fast forward and missed the scene.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

booklover03

« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »

I DESPISED What About Bob. The rest of my family loved it, so it became a "family favorite". I can't count how many times I had to sit through this movie and try to entertain myself. Ground Hog Day was the same way. Everyone else seemed to love and think it was hilarious and for me it was like watching paint dry.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »

I DESPISED What About Bob. The rest of my family loved it, so it became a "family favorite". I can't count how many times I had to sit through this movie and try to entertain myself. Ground Hog Day was the same way. Everyone else seemed to love and think it was hilarious and for me it was like watching paint dry.

I was forced to watch it for AP Psychology.  Seriously.  The rest of the class watched "Silence of the Lambs," and I and the one other girl who absolutely refused to sit through it (the week before AP tests, no less, when we really wanted to be doing actual learning and reviewing!) got sent down the library to watch "What About Bob?" instead.  We had to have the TV on, but we tried to tune it out and do homework instead.  Still hated it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
I have read this entire thread!

Popular and award winning movies that I despise:
Sideways
Crash
Forrest Gump
The Golden Compass
Flashdance
Avatar (an alien version of Pocahontas)

Others:
Romancing the Stone (all of them)
The Blair Witch Project
The Cable Guy
Dirty Dancing
Red Dawn (2012 remake)
Footloose (2012 remake)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »
Ugh, The Cable Guy!! I hate that movie!!