Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 40000 times)

Reika

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »

Reika wrote:

"Because of Waterworld, I refuse to watch anything with Costner in it. It's not that I dislike him as an actor, I think he's kinda meh, but not awful. It's just that I associate him with what I consider mental torture and start twitching if I even hear his voice."

That's too bad.  Field of Dreams was a really good film.

Virg

Fortunately, I saw that long before Waterworld. It was quite good, but I can't face it again.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »

I liked the movie, but I don't think that the idea was to necessarily like either of the lead characters. Just laugh at them for their bizarre dance to see who could get the most attention. I imagine a sequel set 10 years into the future where Bob is now the esteemed arrogant psychologist and Dreyfus is a nutty patient that drives him insane...and they switch places again.

It came off to me as "Let's laugh at this guy because he has a mental illness!" - granted, the movie's pretty old by now, but I think that's the part that bothers me the most.  (As with any movies with that general setup - "Let's laugh at Napoleon Dynamite because he's a social reject!"  "Let's laugh at how the blind guy and the deaf guy could have totally caught that bad guy if they had been sighted and had normal hearing!")

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »

I liked the movie, but I don't think that the idea was to necessarily like either of the lead characters. Just laugh at them for their bizarre dance to see who could get the most attention. I imagine a sequel set 10 years into the future where Bob is now the esteemed arrogant psychologist and Dreyfus is a nutty patient that drives him insane...and they switch places again.

It came off to me as "Let's laugh at this guy because he has a mental illness!" - granted, the movie's pretty old by now, but I think that's the part that bothers me the most.  (As with any movies with that general setup - "Let's laugh at Napoleon Dynamite because he's a social reject!"  "Let's laugh at how the blind guy and the deaf guy could have totally caught that bad guy if they had been sighted and had normal hearing!")

+1 for shout out to, I believe, See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »

Reika wrote:

"Because of Waterworld, I refuse to watch anything with Costner in it. It's not that I dislike him as an actor, I think he's kinda meh, but not awful. It's just that I associate him with what I consider mental torture and start twitching if I even hear his voice."

That's too bad.  Field of Dreams was a really good film.

Virg

Fortunately, I saw that long before Waterworld. It was quite good, but I can't face it again.

FoD is one of the few Costner movies that I can stand. Possibly because his best emotion is "dazed and confused."

As an aside, we have an actual costume from Waterworld -- won it at a raffle at Western Costume. My son wore it for Hallowe'en a couple of years ago.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #304 on: April 08, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

I truly believe I am the only person on earth who is completely 'meh' about The Princess Bride.

No, you're not. I'm 'meh' over, you're 'meh' over it, we can be 'meh' over it together!  :P

It's not a terrible movie, but I really don't get the 25+ years broo-ha-ha over it.

Tia2

« Reply #305 on: April 08, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
The Shadow with Alec Baldwin.

They were obviously going for 'D*ck Tracy' vibe but it was just bad.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »

+1 for shout out to, I believe, See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

That's the one  :)  I actually kind of liked it, but the humor based around the main characters' disabilities really bothered me.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #307 on: April 08, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »

The first problem was casting Alec Baldwin.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Elisabunny

« Reply #308 on: April 08, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »

The first problem was casting Alec Baldwin.  :P

That one really bugged me because IIRC Harlen Ellison begged for years to write the script.  If the copyright owners had let him, the movie might have actually been good.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Hillia

« Reply #309 on: April 08, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »

I truly believe I am the only person on earth who is completely 'meh' about The Princess Bride.

No, I'm right there with you.  Not bad, just...meh.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LazyDaisy

« Reply #310 on: April 08, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »

I didn't get the same impression they were making fun of the mentally ill. I guess to me the movie was making fun of people who pretend to have mental illnesses -- i.e. drama queens. That's not quite so offensive in my book. He was afraid of change, common life situations, illness, and death; he'd get attached to pets and people; he's self-centered. Bob could quite easily conquer these fears when he decided to, which means he wasn't really mentally ill, just immature, which is probably why the children in the movie were especially fond of him.

For See No Evil, Hear No Evil -- granted Richard Prior made a career of being offensive, kind of like Mel Brooks -- but why couldn't a deaf person partnered with a blind person solve a crime? Sure it was a screw-ball comedy but I'd call them role models  >:D ...well, OK, sort of.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reika

« Reply #311 on: April 08, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »

FoD is one of the few Costner movies that I can stand. Possibly because his best emotion is "dazed and confused."

*snickers* I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. I don't think he's a bad actor, but sometimes I think he's a bit overrated.

As an aside, we have an actual costume from Waterworld -- won it at a raffle at Western Costume. My son wore it for Hallowe'en a couple of years ago.

*twitches*

Oh, another so bad it's hysterically funny is the movie Dark Star. I think it was meant to be a spoof on sci-fi in general, but it so bad it was funny and not in the way the makers intended.

snowdragon

« Reply #312 on: April 08, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »

Editeer

« Reply #313 on: April 08, 2013, 11:50:44 PM »

Editeer wrote:

"Of the better-known movies that I can remember, Independence Day was one of the worst. It was an action picture with no action. It was a blockbuster that was simply . . . boring. The alien spaceship (or whatever it was) lands on the freeway, and everyone gets out of their cars, stands there, and screams. The spaceship makes the road shake. Everybody stands by their cars and screams. Road shakes. Big noise. Screams. The hero saves the day by  . . . typing on a keyboard (to do something completely stupid from a technical POV)."

Are you sure that was Independence Day?  It's true that there were a few flash scenes of Jeff Goldblum typing but the synopsis you wrote doesn't fit the movie very well at all (for one thing, no alien ship ever landed anywhere in the whole film unless you're counting them crashing when the human counterattack starts working).

I meant when the alien ships were in the sky attacking (not landing). But maybe I'm remembering a different movie, or maybe I slept through some of it?

Last_Dance

« Reply #314 on: April 09, 2013, 03:42:13 AM »

It's not a terrible movie, but I really don't get the 25+ years broo-ha-ha over it.

Self-perpetrating nostalgia?
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.