Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 42045 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #375 on: April 18, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »
Wow Bruce Smith is funny and I see the next connection...

lilfox

« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
Well, I know where the next great sci-fi (or Scyfy) movie script is coming from...  my 3.5 yr old DD!  The other day she told me about volcano spiders that shoot lava webs.  She also has described a Godzilla monster that is orange with black stripes (Tigerzilla!).

Anyone know of some big name actors who want to help out a new kid in the business?  ;D

turtleIScream

« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
Well, I know where the next great sci-fi (or Scyfy) movie script is coming from...  my 3.5 yr old DD!  The other day she told me about volcano spiders that shoot lava webs.  She also has described a Godzilla monster that is orange with black stripes (Tigerzilla!).

Anyone know of some big name actors who want to help out a new kid in the business?  ;D

Huh. I would actually go see that. Sounds cool!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #378 on: April 21, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »

Huh. I would actually go see that. Sounds cool!

I'd go see it too, especially if Tigerzilla and Volrachnid were being controlled by space aliens.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, as most would probably say it was a good movie and well done but it makes me uncomfortable to watch.

Disney's Tangled. It has its funny parts but the relationship with Mother Gothel and Rapunzel makes it hard for me to watch it.  I'm the odd one out in my family for not liking it, though DH can understand why more than the boys can. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #380 on: April 22, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »
It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, as most would probably say it was a good movie and well done but it makes me uncomfortable to watch.

Disney's Tangled. It has its funny parts but the relationship with Mother Gothel and Rapunzel makes it hard for me to watch it.  I'm the odd one out in my family for not liking it, though DH can understand why more than the boys can.

I can understand how the Rapunzel/Gothel scenes would be triggers.  Sorry they dragged it down for you.  :/

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #381 on: April 22, 2013, 02:03:15 AM »
Tangled bothered me mostly from a feminist perspective.  "Naive girl who keeps repeatedly trusting the lying man who wants something from her despite all evidence and common sense to the contrary" can be a powerful character story in a modern adult movie - the kind with the flawed anti-hero where you're really not cheering for anyone and nobody really wins - but it bothered me in a fairy tale.  It especially bothered me because the character arc was set up for both main characters to grow and learn and get past their flaws and they just . . . didn't.  They were exactly the same people (emotionally) at the end as they were in the beginning, just with ". . . and now you're together; isn't that cool?" slapped on top.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #382 on: April 22, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
Tangled bothered me mostly from a feminist perspective.  "Naive girl who keeps repeatedly trusting the lying man who wants something from her despite all evidence and common sense to the contrary" can be a powerful character story in a modern adult movie - the kind with the flawed anti-hero where you're really not cheering for anyone and nobody really wins - but it bothered me in a fairy tale.  It especially bothered me because the character arc was set up for both main characters to grow and learn and get past their flaws and they just . . . didn't.  They were exactly the same people (emotionally) at the end as they were in the beginning, just with ". . . and now you're together; isn't that cool?" slapped on top.

I can see that.   And I dunno, first time I ever saw any part of it was while my cousin's daughter was watching it and just from watching a few moments of the Mother Gothel and Rapunzel scenes I was surprised a Disney movie had that kind of toxic relationship. Sure there's been toxic relationships before but I have a hard time remembering any where the "mother" was so emotionally manipulative as Mother Gothel. The stepmothers of the past were generally just outright hateful.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #383 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »

I can see that.   And I dunno, first time I ever saw any part of it was while my cousin's daughter was watching it and just from watching a few moments of the Mother Gothel and Rapunzel scenes I was surprised a Disney movie had that kind of toxic relationship. Sure there's been toxic relationships before but I have a hard time remembering any where the "mother" was so emotionally manipulative as Mother Gothel. The stepmothers of the past were generally just outright hateful.

Disney just doesn't like female parents.  At all.  See: Bambi.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #384 on: April 22, 2013, 08:16:37 AM »
Well there was Andy's mom in Toy Story, Merida's mother, Simba's mother, and Mulan's but that's all I've got when it comes to movies in Disney/Pixar movies and good, present mothers. 

Though I guess it could be argued that with Mother Gothel isn't really Rapunzel's mother and her real mother did love and worry about her.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »

That's not Disney's fault; Bambi's mother dies in the book,  too. Just as Tony and Tia are orphans in the book Escape to Witch Mountain.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #386 on: April 22, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
It's a classic trope of children's literature - children who are left to their own devices, either through losing their parents, or by having abusive caregivers. I think children find it a fascinating concept - "What if I couldn't rely on my own parents? What if I had to survive on my own? What if I had to act like a grownup (and didn't have any grownups to stop me from doing whatever I wanted)?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #387 on: April 22, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
Honestly, for kids to be the heroes of the story, you have to have a way to get the parents out of the way. If the parents are there, the kids can't really be the ones responsible for saving the day. So the parents have to be dead or absentee, or the kids have to be away at school or run away.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #388 on: April 22, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »
In the Cat and The Hat didn't the poor mother just go shopping? 

LazyDaisy

« Reply #389 on: April 22, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »

Lots of Disney movies are based on old folk tales, like Grimm's. In most of those the mother, at least, is dead. I think that is more indicative of the mortality rate several hundred years ago rather than a dislike for females/adults. Childhood was different back then -- and over much earlier than it is today. Our perception of these stories has definitely changed from when they were first told. Some of the actions of the adults would have been perfectly acceptable generations ago, but now we see them as reprehensible. Strong, powerful women always are cast as evil or a witch, while nice girls are meek and subservient. Disney has attempted to clean up and modernize many stories while keeping to the original plot. Unfortunately, you can't have a Rapunzel without a witch to kidnap her, and it would be a totally different story altogether if it was a man who kidnapped and held her in a tower.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams