Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 43399 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #390 on: April 22, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
Redneck Gravy wrote:

"In the Cat and The Hat didn't the poor mother just go shopping?"

Well, yes, but CitH isn't Disney so it doesn't have to follow the rule of bad mother figures.

Piratelvr1121 wrote:

"Sure there's been toxic relationships before but I have a hard time remembering any where the "mother" was so emotionally manipulative as Mother Gothel. The stepmothers of the past were generally just outright hateful."

I do have to agree that Mother Gothel isn't a good example of a bad mother figure in a Disney story because she was a kidnapper, not Rapunzel's real mother.  She only kept Rapunzel around so that she could use the magic in her, so the idea of violated or neglected familial duty isn't there.  It seems unfair to call their relationship "toxic" because it wasn't really a relationship at all and nobody who watched it really expected Mother Gothel to be anything other than a monster even if Rapunzel didn't know any better.

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #391 on: April 22, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »
True, though I guess since she kidnapped Rapunzel as a baby and told the child she was her mother, the poor girl didn't really know any better.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #392 on: April 22, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »
Strong, powerful women always are cast as evil or a witch, while nice girls are meek and subservient.

That's not always true. I've actually read a few of the original Grimm's stories recently, and they are by no means written with "nice girls don't do anything active" in mind.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #393 on: April 22, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Toxic parents are the most popular villain class in Mexican novelas.  Mothers are twice as deadly as fathers.

MerryCat

« Reply #394 on: April 22, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
Strong, powerful women always are cast as evil or a witch, while nice girls are meek and subservient.

That's not always true. I've actually read a few of the original Grimm's stories recently, and they are by no means written with "nice girls don't do anything active" in mind.

Yep, and even the Grimm tales are kind of cleaned up. In Donkeyskin, an early Cinderella variant, the princess is running away from an incestuous relationship with her very toxic father. There's no fairy godmother and she has to fend for herself in the prince's kitchen.

Stirling

« Reply #395 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
Movie that's so bad its great - Killer Clowns from Outerspace.

Classic movies I just don't "get" - 2001 A Space Oddessy and Eraser Head.  I've seen them both many times and just don't get them.  However, I don't consider them bad movies.

I know there are movies that I don't care for, But I can't think of any at the moment.

Edited to add:

I thought of a movie that I stopped watching because I found it completely offensive with no redeeming qualities.  It was Bruno.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:34:10 PM by Stirling »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #396 on: April 23, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
Speaking of the Brothers Grimm, Terry Gilliam's take on them was pretty bad. I was very disappointed - I love a lot of his work, like Baron Munchausen, and the Grimm movie seemed so uninspired.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #397 on: November 07, 2013, 11:53:05 PM »
Movie that's so bad its great - Killer Clowns from Outerspace.

Classic movies I just don't "get" - 2001 A Space Oddessy and Eraser Head.  I've seen them both many times and just don't get them.  However, I don't consider them bad movies.

I know there are movies that I don't care for, But I can't think of any at the moment.

Edited to add:

I thought of a movie that I stopped watching because I found it completely offensive with no redeeming qualities.  It was Bruno.

Just think of 2001 as being designed to ask more questions than it answers, and when all else fails, confuse. :-)

(It's one of my personal favorites)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Cricket

« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2013, 05:58:36 AM »
*snip*

My husband has Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter at home waiting for us to watch together. I am dreading it...I'd like to say I hope it'll have some redeeming value to it, but...hmmm....I suspect it will belong on this list as well.

Just the title made me laugh  ;D It intrigued me so much that I looked up the storyline and chuckled some more. I sounds like an excellent candidate for the so-bad-it's-good award and I kind of want to see it now. Wonder if it will come to Australia.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2013, 06:53:44 AM »
Rock of Ages.  I couldn't even finish watching it. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

scotcat60

« Reply #400 on: November 08, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
I've just seen "The Eagle" based on Rosmary Sutcliffe's "The Eagle of the Ninth" After the first ten minutes the story degenerated into almost nothing that Ms Sutcliffe ever wrote.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #401 on: November 08, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »
Pulp Fiction

I know that is sacrilege to say because it is such a cult classic; but I don't think I handled more than 10 minutes of the movie - glad that I only rented it and didn't waste money at the theater..

Totally agree with you. 

I was on a date once with a guy who wanted to be sweet about picking a "chick flick" that he thought enjoy.  We went to see a Sandra Bullock movie - What about Steve or some such title like that.  It. Was. Awful.  He couldn't quit apologizing!!!

Worst one I ever sat through was No Country For Old Men.  The  whole movie was violent and just screamed "evil" to me but I sat through it only to get to that ending that just seemed like the Cohen brothers got tired of playing filmmaker and walked away.  I was pissed that I sat through all that awfullness for that terrible what-the-hell-just-happened ending.

Avengers was awful.  Watching it with a raging migraine didn't help its cause any, either.

Terminator 2.  Could not wait for that movie to end so I could end my equally-lousy date and go home.  And just my luck, it's the movie that just never ends!

Ted.  'nuff said.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #402 on: November 08, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
Pulp Fiction

I know that is sacrilege to say because it is such a cult classic; but I don't think I handled more than 10 minutes of the movie - glad that I only rented it and didn't waste money at the theater..

Totally agree with you. 

I was on a date once with a guy who wanted to be sweet about picking a "chick flick" that he thought enjoy.  We went to see a Sandra Bullock movie - What about Steve or some such title like that.  It. Was. Awful.  He couldn't quit apologizing!!!

Worst one I ever sat through was No Country For Old Men.  The  whole movie was violent and just screamed "evil" to me but I sat through it only to get to that ending that just seemed like the Cohen brothers got tired of playing filmmaker and walked away.  I was pissed that I sat through all that awfullness for that terrible what-the-hell-just-happened ending.

Avengers was awful.  Watching it with a raging migraine didn't help its cause any, either.

Terminator 2.  Could not wait for that movie to end so I could end my equally-lousy date and go home.  And just my luck, it's the movie that just never ends!

Ted.  'nuff said.

Agree on Pulp Fiction, can take or leave T2, never saw the others, except for Avengers which I frankly cannot disagree more with... although you having a migraine during a loud, flashy action movie might have colored that.  ;)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #403 on: November 08, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
I really didn't care for 2001: A Space Odyssey either. I started fast-forwarding through the headache-inducing visuals at the end and I'm still not sure what happened.

And as someone said upthread, Boxing Helena was awful. Also, the second X-Files movie - and I LOVED the show beginning to end. But that second movie was a mess.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

nuit93

« Reply #404 on: November 08, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
Rock of Ages.  I couldn't even finish watching it. :P

I couldn't look away.