Author Topic: The worst movie you ever saw  (Read 41510 times)

BarensMom

Re: The worst movie you ever saw
« Reply #495 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
Will Ferrell is right up there with Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Tom Cruise, and Ben Affleck in my "movies you couldn't get me to see even if you beat me with a stick" category.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #496 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
Tinker. Tailor. Soldier. Spy.     I know it's probably more realistic that government intelligence/espionage types work in offices, but it makes for a really boring spy movie.  A few people left the theater halfway into the movie, and I really wanted to go with them!  But I stuck it out for Colin Firth.

There's another adaptation that my dad likes better. The more recent one...all he has to say that's polite is, "Gary Oldman looks like a constipated owl." I watch it for Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch, since they work well together and have soothing voices. :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

cabbageweevil

« Reply #497 on: November 14, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
Tinker. Tailor. Soldier. Spy.     I know it's probably more realistic that government intelligence/espionage types work in offices, but it makes for a really boring spy movie.  A few people left the theater halfway into the movie, and I really wanted to go with them!  But I stuck it out for Colin Firth.

There's another adaptation that my dad likes better. The more recent one...all he has to say that's polite is, "Gary Oldman looks like a constipated owl." I watch it for Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch, since they work well together and have soothing voices. :P

GI -- I feel with you, there.  Am not much of a filmgoer; but concluded decades ago -- after struggling thorough a couple of them -- that the spy novels by John Le Carre (the film T.T.S.S. adapted from one of those, with the same title) were not for me: I steer completely clear of them, and of films derived from them.  They just struck me as too gratuitously complicated, and sometimes needlessly weird -- for instance, the Soviet equivalent and opposite number and adversary of the British spymaster Smiley, is called Karla, yet he's a man -- in this context, why?  All the wheels-within-wheels and mirrors-within-mirrors and double / triple / quadruple / quintuple-crossing: I just didn't find all that stuff -- or Le Carre's writing of it -- interesting enough, to be worth the mental labour needed to try to make sense of it.

Largely I expect, because of my being male and elderly, and no film buff: I sometimes have the impulse to ask, "Who is this Benedict Cumberbatch entity -- and what a weird name to have -- of whom you Earthlings speak so much?"

Cherry91

« Reply #498 on: November 14, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »
See Spot Run. I saw it when I was a kid and HATED it. It was too stupid for adults and too gross for kids (IMO).

MrTango

« Reply #499 on: November 14, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.  There are a few good one-liners in the film, but beyond that it's just evidence that William Shatner should never have been allowed to direct a TV commercial, let alone a whole film.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #500 on: November 14, 2013, 09:28:32 AM »
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.  There are a few good one-liners in the film, but beyond that it's just evidence that William Shatner should never have been allowed to direct a TV commercial, let alone a whole film.

At least STV is better than the Abrahms version.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #501 on: November 14, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
I suppose technically I can't even say "Saving Private Ryan" because I kept falling asleep.  It came out to DVD around the time my DH was in boot camp (Marines) and my friends at the time kept insisting I watch it and saying I was being disloyal to my DH by falling asleep during a movie about WWII.  I couldn't even make it past the part where they storm the beach. I was just that bored by it. 

I felt justified though when DH came home and they decided to tell on me.  We all watched it again and I fell asleep, again, and he said he wasn't offended.

I've "seen" that movie twice. Both time I fall asleep while they are on the beach, and I wake up when Matt Damon is screaming at the end.  I dont get it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #502 on: November 14, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »

I watched "The Captains" since it was streaming on Netflix.  Basically Shatner "interviewing" the other actors who portrayed captains in the other ST series and the kid who plays Kirk in the newer movies.  And by "interviewing" I mean the others listening to Shatner as he talks about himself. 

The funny part is watching Sir Patrick Stewart and the others listen with some amusement to his narcissistic ramblings.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kariachi

« Reply #503 on: November 14, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
I agree with Titanic, I always say the hero in that movie was the iceberg.

My sister and father were at the Titanic Historical Society's annual banquet, and my sister was making conversation with another woman seated at their table. She commented that she'd met the woman's husband earlier and asked, 'And are you as much of a fan on the Titanic as he is?' as he had made quite an impression with his unbounded enthusiasm for things Titanic.

The wife fixed a baleful look upon my sister and replied, 'Actually, I'm a fan of the iceberg.'  ::)

Made me laugh.  Reminded me of the movie Lake Placid  (fairly rotten movie called a Horror-Comedy about a man-eating crocodile loose in the lake. )  Betty White is in it and has the best line in it.  "I'm rooting for the crocodile. I hope he swallows your friends whole. "

Okay, I'm still seriously behind on this thread, but I had to respond.

Lake Placid is awe-inspiring.
Lake Placid 2 is bad.
Lake Placid 3 is So Bad It's Good.
Lake Placid 4 was So Bad It's the Funniest Thing I Saw That Year.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

MrTango

« Reply #504 on: November 14, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

I actually enjoyed the Abrams Reboot.  It's not the same Star Trek I grew up with, but they were at least fun to watch.  The one-liners and the cliche lines didn't seem as forced in the Abrams films as they did in V.

I remember one time I was having a Star Trek movie marathon with a bunch of friends (this was just before Generations came out in theaters).  When we got to the end of IV, there was about a half hour of serious discussion of whether we should just skip V and go straight to VI.

DistantStar

« Reply #505 on: November 14, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »
In my personal canon, V didn't happen.  Neither did the TNG movies past First Contact.  And that's without getting into certain episodes of the various series - not too many, but as far as I am concerned, some things did not happen.

nuit93

« Reply #506 on: November 14, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
Not the worst, but I want to add "Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story".

Why?  Because it took 13 years to make another sequel after "Anne of Avonlea" (which can be forgiven for not following the series because at least it made an effort to combine elements of three of the books), and they didn't even continue to follow the novel series.

I had hopes, but it was like the director didn't even try.

HGolightly

« Reply #507 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
Nuit93 I completely agree! Not only did they do aaa weird mosh mash but they brutalized my favourite book in the Anne series, Rilla of Ingleside. It also did not make sense to have a newly married Anne and Gilbert facing WW1 when that was their children's timeline as adults. I would have loved if they did House of Dreams instead or just did Rilla of Ingleside.

nuit93

« Reply #508 on: November 14, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
House of Dreams had so many interesting characters in it that it would have stood alone perfectly.

My ideal way to wrap up the series:

-House of Dreams as the third movie.
-combine Ingleside and Rainbow Valley for the fourth movie.  A lot of it is side stories about the children which, while interesting, would make for weaker movies if they were separated.
-Rilla of Ingleside on its own for the fifth movie.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #509 on: November 14, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »
In my personal canon, V didn't happen.  Neither did the TNG movies past First Contact.  And that's without getting into certain episodes of the various series - not too many, but as far as I am concerned, some things did not happen.

In my personal canon, the only movies that DID happen are II, III, and VI.  The others are either too dull, too silly, or too badly written.