Author Topic: Home Sales Party....how to say no gracefully?  (Read 4308 times)

Georgie

Re: Home Sales Party....how to say no gracefully?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
My Aunt once gave me great advice in declining invitations to sports events. She said "Shout, 'NO, NO, NO!'....If you are too polite, you risk them inviting you again later".

I think the same holds true for sales "parties"

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:40 PM »
If you think she'll only send sales-related e-mail, set up an e-mail through gmail or something like that and give her that address.  You don't necessarily have to check that e-mail - just so you'll be able to get her off your back.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 01:16:24 AM »
My Aunt once gave me great advice in declining invitations to sports events. She said "Shout, 'NO, NO, NO!'....If you are too polite, you risk them inviting you again later".

I think the same holds true for sales "parties"

I love your Aunt

that_one_girl

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »
If you're not busy, why not go just to spend some time with your friend.   They usually have food and games at those kinds of parties, so you might end up having fun.  Your mere presence, even if you don't buy anything, makes your friend look better to her potential customers.

I would say to her, "Please don't send me your sales e-mails, since your products are not to my taste.  However, if you text me and let me know what day your party is on, I might be able to make it."

If you don't want to attend the parties at all, I would just say to her, "I'm not interested, please take me off your mailing list."

Margo

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
I suggest you be much more firm.  Part of the training they receive is how NOT to take no for an answer.

"Friend, I am not interested in hosting or attending your sales parties, but I wish you a lot of luck with them.  It looks like you're having a good time with it.  But I don't want to receive any emails, so no thank you."

I agree 100% with this. I would not say anything about the cost - that gives an opening to her to try to convince you to buy when there is a sale, or to pressure you to get involved to earn discounts.

If she pushes, then just repeat "It's not my thing. I'm really not interested"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
My mom's always getting invited to these.  I've had both my mom and my grandmother call me to ask if there's anything I want (usually the cooking one) because they feel obligated to buy *something* and they don't need anything.  I think both of them like the product, but they've bought what they need of it already, you know?  I wish more people would invite them to the children's book seller party, because I could totally give them a list of books they could get for us if they really wanted to.  :)  But no, always cooking stuff.  I've already got my ice shaver and apple corer, don't need anything else.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
My mom's always getting invited to these.  I've had both my mom and my grandmother call me to ask if there's anything I want (usually the cooking one) because they feel obligated to buy *something* and they don't need anything.  I think both of them like the product, but they've bought what they need of it already, you know?  I wish more people would invite them to the children's book seller party, because I could totally give them a list of books they could get for us if they really wanted to.  :)  But no, always cooking stuff.  I've already got my ice shaver and apple corer, don't need anything else.

I need a new food chopper because the kids broke mine, but I'm afraid to get one because I don't want to be back on the Sales Party radar, KWIM?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »

I need a new food chopper because the kids broke mine, but I'm afraid to get one because I don't want to be back on the Sales Party radar, KWIM?

See that makes me a little sad.  You should be able to go when you want without fear that you'll be pounced on for future parties.  The whole point is to make shopping easier and cheaper (cheaper because overhead is eliminated and easier because you're basically sitting around with your friends looking at magazines).

strawbabies

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 01:20:38 PM »
I have a throwaway email address that I use for signing up for stuff online.  Sometimes I get emails in thee that I want, like discounts on my favorite restaurants.  The other stuff I go in every few days and delete.  My "real" email address is kept pretty secret.  If I were you, I'd set up a junk one through one of the free email services and give her that. 

daen

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
Generally, the sales pitches at the home sales in my area aren't high-pressure, and there's usually a lot of socializing and/or games that I kind of enjoy. For that reason, my response is usually along the lines of "As long as you're okay with me not buying anything." I've never had a negative reaction to that - I suspect most people I know have the parties to get the hostess discount/gift, and a lot of the people I know who get into home-party sales do so for the discount, rather than for profit.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

A lot of the time the people who got out will get rid of their inventory on ebay or craigslist.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Roses

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
Decline is a great Facebook event feature.  You don't have to say why, you just set yourself as "Not-Attending". 

I actually removed a 'friend' on FB because the only time I heard from her was to get one of these invites for Every. Home. Sale. Company. 

Just say no to the e-mail and tell her FB is your primary means of communication.