Author Topic: My order is “to go” wink wink (so I can avoid eat in tax)  (Read 4098 times)

reflection5

I rarely go inside fast food places, but today I went inside a McDonald’s to get something to drink (and it was really “to go”).  As I was leaving, I saw a lot of people with food in bags but they were sitting at the tables eating.  Of course, this is nothing new.  People say an order it “to go” to avoid paying the eat-in tax.

Have I done it?  Well, :-[ yes, but I was with someone who decided to eat inside.

I’ve never heard of an employee accosting a customer and saying “Hey!  You said that order was “to go”.  You owe $.32 cents tax.  Pay up.”  I’m sure McDonands is used to this, and I guess they just ignore.

Do you consider this stealing?  Rude?

I do think it's unfair if the place is crowded and people who have paid tax and are carrying trays are waiting to sit down.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:51:12 PM by reflection5 »

Eden

Re: My order is “to go” wink wink (so I can avoid eat in tax)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »
There is a tax for eating in?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
I have never heard of an "eat in" tax.  Here, you pay the restaurant tax on fast food as well as regular restaurant food.  There is no differentiation.  If there were one, however, I would find any attempt to circumvent it dishonestly to be extremely rude.

reflection5

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »

Yes, I've seen it on the receipt.  On drinks there is a tax whether you eat in or carry it out.

Here's a link about McD eat-in tax.
http://www.onedigitallife.com/2006/07/27/mcdonalds-eat-in-tax/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:55:35 PM by reflection5 »

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:10 PM »
I've never heard of an eat in tax either.  I often get a bag even though I'm eating in because it's not as messy for me and I can take leftovers home if I have any.  So maybe they did pay the tax, but just like bags better than trays (unless there's a rule that dine-ins must have a tray).

But if there's a tax and the cashier ask if you are eating in or leaving, you (general) should tell the truth.  This is more about ethics than etiquette.

Eden

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
Huh. Always learning something new on E-Hell.

It is dishonest, so I guess that makes it wrong in a general sense, not necessarily from an etiquette standpoint. I won't lie. I probably would do the same thing.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I had never heard of a difference in taxing food to go vs food eaten in if it was prepared the same way.

I am aware of the following difference. Say I go to a deli and buy a cup of soup to be immediately consumed, then it is taxable as prepared food no matter where I eat it. Bit if I buy a sealed non-heated jar of the same soup, it is then not taxed because it is packaged to be "prepared" at home.

But states that differentiate between whether kids eat the same chicken nuggets at the restaurant or in the car is new to me. Maybe these states just see it as a easier statute to implement.

To your etiquette question, I do think the people are gaming the system, and are not being honest.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:09:57 PM »

Yes, I've seen it on the receipt.  On drinks there is a tax whether you eat in or carry it out.

According to the link, there's also a "take out tax".

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
Add me to those who've never heard of an "eat-in" tax.  I wonder if it's a regional thing.

If you're doing it to avoid a tax, it's dishonest.  If you're getting your food in a bag because it's easier to carry your food in a bag (and take home leftovers), it's fine. 

I am always asked if I am eating in or taking it to go, and I'll say eating in, but please put it in a bag so I can get it to the table - I usually say this while trying to juggle a toddler and my wallet at the same time.  There's no way I can get a toddler, stroller, high chair, and tray of food to a table by my lonesome. ;)

I think it's hard to judge someone's motives and know for sure if they paid the eat-in tax or not unless you were directly behind them when they said "to-go".

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »

This really doesn't have anything to do with McDonald's, exactly. It's merely a reflection of a given state's sales tax regulations, which may charge different amounts for dine-in vs. food eaten off-premise.
Utah

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »

I just read that.
If it's just a tax that you're paying no matter what, I do not think it matters one bit whether you are eating your food from a bag or off a tray.

reflection5

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »

This really doesn't have anything to do with McDonald's, exactly. It's merely a reflection of a given state's sales tax regulations, which may charge different amounts for dine-in vs. food eaten off-premise.

McDonald's is just one of many places that charges the eat-in tax.  I used McD in my opening post because that's where I happened to have gone and that's where I saw people sitting and eating food that was bagged up "to go".  However, it's my understanding the practice is common at other places.

azleaneo

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 06:29:10 PM »
I think it depends entirely on the state.

Some people order food to go because they are going to only eat a portion of it and then it is already bagged for them. I don't think this is that big of a deal, and anyone who thinks that they're "getting a deal" by doing it one way or another is really just doing it over pennies.

Cami

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
It's just THE tax on the food. They classify it as "eat in" or "take out" on the tax line, but the tax is the same regardless of where you eat the food.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
Apparently its just how things are printed on receipt---there is no eat in tax.  You are paying tax on the food.  And to the left of that is where they decided to print either "eat in" or "take out."

The "eat in" is not a description of the tax, it just happens to be printed there.