Author Topic: My order is “to go” wink wink (so I can avoid eat in tax)  (Read 3955 times)

reflection5

Re: My order is “to go” wink wink (so I can avoid eat in tax)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
Apparently its just how things are printed on receipt---there is no eat in tax.  You are paying tax on the food.  And to the left of that is where they decided to print either "eat in" or "take out."

The "eat in" is not a description of the tax, it just happens to be printed there.

Well, I do know a fish filet to go is cheaper than a fish filet eaten at the restaurant.  The to-go sandwich receipt does not indicate any tax, the sandwich eaten at the restaurant does say ‘eat in tax’ (as explained) here:
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/eatin-tax-17772.html

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
Yeah.... it's wrong to do it intentionally. But I have done it, albeit unintentionally. There was a burger place near my school, and so i would often go there to eat. I would order, they didn't ask me whether I wanted it to go or dine in, and I sat in the restraunt and ate, because if I didn't there was no place but the benches and the floor to eat.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »
Restaurants don't charge tax. They merely collect them for the government.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »
I can't even remember the last time they even asked if it was eat on or to go - much less provide a tray.  They usually throw it in a bag anyway - how would they know to charge that tax?  I can see tax on the actual food though.

reflection5

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »

Looking at it that way, no business charges tax.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 06:51:18 PM »

Looking at it that way, no business charges tax.

Taht's right. Taxation is the government's function.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 06:54:58 PM »
I can't even remember the last time they even asked if it was eat on or to go - much less provide a tray.  They usually throw it in a bag anyway - how would they know to charge that tax?  I can see tax on the actual food though.

I think tax differs from state to state, maybe even city by city.  I don't think I live in a place with a dine-in tax so they don't bother asking.

Jones

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »
It seems strange to me. If the tax is to encourage people to reduce garbage, I can see a "to go' tax. If it's to encourage them to be safe, I can see charging it to reduce eating-and-driving. But what is the rationale behind a "eat in" tax?

glacio

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
I've had places say You're getting that to go right? They know what's up, and as people on minimum wage I think many of them are in a very understanding position. I never worked fast food in a place that had this option so I can't speak from personal experience.

On the whole, I don't think most employees care one way or the other, although it does bring up all sorts of fun political and ethical existential crises.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
They don't tax any differently here bit they still ask so yhry know whether to put it im a bag or on a tray. And sometimes I will get it to go and start it in the restaurant but finish it in the car so I giess it seems unwise to assume anything about motive when you see the eating from a "to ho" inside.

katycoo

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
Said tax doesn't exist where I live.  If its stealing its stealing from the government, not the resturant, if taht m,akes any difference to people.  I personally think its so trifling I don't see why people would dliberately say take out to avoud paying 20c. 
Sometimes I like to take some of my food with me, so prefer a bag over a tray.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 08:35:41 PM »
I just checked the tax laws in my state. You pay the same tax no matter what.

fountainof

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »
I don't know if that example receipt is real or not but 55 cents on $6.43 is a significant amount of tax as a percentage.  I could see lots of people saying take out to avoid it.

katycoo

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
I don't know if that example receipt is real or not but 55 cents on $6.43 is a significant amount of tax as a percentage.  I could see lots of people saying take out to avoid it.

But if the order was take out, there'd still be some tax.  Maybe not the same tax but it wouldn't be 55 cents cheaper.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »
That happened to us in California.  Our group stopped at a McDonald's the night before our flight out and we noticed the "eat in" tax listed on the receipt.

The next morning at the airport, a few people bought McDonald's there and yes, there it was.  A "carry out" tax on the receipt.

Here you are taxed for food in restaurants and it falls under the "entertainment" tax regulations, but I've never noticed it in fast food places.  I'll have to pay more attention I guess!  ???