Author Topic: SIL's Bday Gift  (Read 1292 times)

Raina

SIL's Bday Gift
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:16:31 AM »
DH, MIL, SIL, and I all went out tonight for dinner to celebrate all of our birthdays because the three of us have birthdays all in a row: February, March, and April.  Mine is the April bday, and SIL brought a gift bag for me to dinner today which was very sweet and thoughtful of her, as she has not done this in the past.  I tried to find something nice to say about each item, but the last item in the bag was one of those  :o kind of things.  I did my best to say something about how sweet and cute it was but honestly, my first reaction was shock because I thought it was an item of clothing for bedroom enjoyment, if that makes any sense.  DH couldn't help me out because he was speechless since he had the same thought as well!  Obviously, it's not, but the entire time I held it in my hands my brain was furiously trying to reconcile what I thought and what I was holding.

I honestly tried to be excited, and I am truly grateful that she thought to buy me something this year.  The dilemma is that she sent me an email after she got home saying if it wasn't to my taste, to return it to the store for a different item.  I'm really lost at how to respond to her email, so if you have any polite wordings, I would really appreciate it! Would it be best to simply thank her for the gifts again, and not mention whether or not I'd want to exchange it? I don't think it'd be polite to say I'd return it, but I'm also a little afraid she'll ask about it when she comes over to our home next.  It's a little tricky because we are not close at all and she can be very sensitive about some things.

Thank you for your help.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: SIL's Bday Gift
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:45:53 AM »
She gave you an out. In order to exchange, do you need a receipt from her, or is there an exchange slip in the bag? If this is something that you *really * will not wear ( is it something that * could* be adapted to bedroom use?), then thank her for all the lovely gifts and say : TheThing is really beautiful, unfortunately it's just not my style/doesn't go with my coloring etc. I saw that ThatStore has 'something similar but not as provocative' that I will get a lot of use out of.

If you already have an exchange slip then don't say anything about TheThing; just a general thank you for the lovely and thoughtful gifts.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools