Author Topic: Honouring the intent to buy - etiquette of a verbal contract  (Read 8167 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Re: Honouring the intent to buy - etiquette of a verbal contract
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Well, that last email I sent got a response!!  And man, what a response.  I think I would have been much happier with an "I'm sorry, I forgot, can we please reschedule."  Instead, I got something about having to work late, and then there were police around when she got home, and...   ::)

That's fine, but I waited about 24 hours before sending my note, allowing for plenty of time for her to get back to me with any sort of reply (not to mention I gave her both my home and cell phone numbers).

I still wanted the wheel enough to reschedule, so I did.  I'm glad I did.  I've posted pictures over in the Craftiness folder.  Here.

Not only did I get an email with the address, I got a followup email that morning, then a followup text, then another followup as I was on the road, as well as a phone call to make sure I got the texts.  That made me laugh.

The wool was not what I had thought I was buying.  I should know by now not to buy wool "sight unseen".  It was matted, felted garbage.  It'll make good fertilizer for the garden.  But even with the wool, I paid less than the original asking price, so I have decided not to bother or care about it.  I'll sort out what I can and recycle the rest.

Thanks to everyone who helped me sort through this and keep me calm.

Amara

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »
Congratulations, Knitterly! I am glad it turned out to be worth the trouble. It's a pretty and interesting little thing.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
I just saw the pictures. Very cute and it looks fun to use as well. I am sorry about the wool, though.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
Sorry it was so much trouble, but I'm glad you finally got it! I admit I was beginning to doubt it would ever happen.
~Lynn2000

Peregrine

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Very nice wheel....Glad it finally worked out well.

I'm a spinner as well.  I got an Ashford Traveller a few years ago, unfortunately between having an inquisitive toddler and being away from home for 7 months, I haven't had a chance to spin as much as I would like.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
I recently got burnt myself by the costume forum but a different guy. I was all set to buy a critical part of the costume for DH when the seller pulled out, saying he preferred to sell the entire costume locally rather than piece it out as he was doing.

And that one part is hard to find, as they usually do sell them as a full kit.

I politely told him that I was disappointed and that I would have to look elsewhere, which was difficult. This was the second time it's fallen through for this part.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 09:45:30 AM »
Katana_Gelder, I know it's a bit offtopic, but can you get that part built as a custom job?  Usually something like this that's hard to procure can be shopped out separately unless there are licensing issues with doing it or the item itself must be an original for some reason.

Virg

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
Well, we could be we can't be sure of the quality unless we see it as a finished product and it has to meet certain standards. People do make them, though.