A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Travel

Italian translation help with food allergies, please!

(1/1)

IrishGenes:
I am traveling for the very first time to Europe next month, and I am beyond excited!  :D

Unfortunately, I have quite the extensive list of food allergies, and I would like some assistance with translating them from English to Italian.  The fortunate part of my allergies is that none of them are life-threatening... just enough to make me very uncomfortable.  While I know many Italians understand/speak English, I do not want to make any assumptions.

Would you (general) look over my translations to see if I am way off on any of them?  The Italian translation is in parenthesis. 

Many thanks!

Medication Allergies: (Medication Allergie:)
Erythromycin (Eritromicina)

Epi-pen and Benadryl in purse (Epipen e Benadryl in borsa)

Food Allergies: (Allergie alimentari:)
Vegetarian due to meat allergies: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, fish (Vegetariana a causa di allergie a base di carne: manzo, maiale, pollo, tacchino, agnello, pesce)
Nuts: peanut, walnut, almond, hazelnut, cashew, pecan (Frutta a guscio: arachidi, noci, mandorle, nocciole, anacardi, noci pecan)
Shellfish: crustaceans, molluscs, shrimp (Molluschi: crostacei, molluschi, gamberi)
Berries: blueberry (Frutti di bosco: mirtillo)
Egg Whites (albumi d'uovo)
Cantaloupe (cantalupo)
Celery (sedano)
Green Peas (Piselli)
Plums (susine)
Rye (segale)
Vanilla (vaniglia)
Chocolate (cioccolato)

Rohanna:
Is it possible to look at menus ahead of time for restaurants? That is a huge list to trust a restaurant that speaks your language with - I'd be wanting to maybe write up suggestions for what you can safely eat as well as what you can't.

Library Dragon:
I had DH take a look and you've a good job.  It's pretty clear, while some Italians may have never seen a pecan they will know you have allergies to different nuts.  Are pistachios a problem?  You're more likely to see those than cashews.

One site that might be helpful is http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/food-and-wine/vegetarian-in-italy-vegan-gluten-free-europe.  It has good tips.

IrishGenes:

--- Quote from: Library Dragon on March 25, 2013, 09:37:04 PM ---I had DH take a look and you've a good job.  It's pretty clear, while some Italians may have never seen a pecan they will know you have allergies to different nuts.  Are pistachios a problem?  You're more likely to see those than cashews.

One site that might be helpful is http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/food-and-wine/vegetarian-in-italy-vegan-gluten-free-europe.  It has good tips.

--- End quote ---

That looks like a helpful website.  Thanks!

I am allergic to all kinds of nuts, so I will clarify that on my list. 

lady_disdain:
Since you mention an epi pen, keep in mind that not as many people will know what an epi pen is or how it is used.

Also, I would be extra aware of hidden meat products, specially meat broth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version