Author Topic: Sharing research space  (Read 1212 times)

learningtofly

Sharing research space
« on: March 30, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »
Hi y'all,

I work in a lab doing research.  The standard is everyone has their own cube, but that you share bench space with one person.  In my case I share with two people.  To be honest it hasn't been hard.  One of the people does not work at the bench.  She stores a few things there, but in the last year she has worked at the the bench once.  All her equipment is in a private room.

Recently this coworker complained that she didn't have any bench space.  I didn't know why she needed it as she's always at her desk or the private room, but I cleaned the bench, cleared shelf space, and rearranged drawers.  We have three chairs and three workspaces.  In the month since I cleaned everything this coworker has yet to enter the lab.  The bench has reverted to a two person space as there are two people there who legitimately need the space.  When she complained again, the third coworker pointed out that this woman has her own private space.  It didn't appease her.

Is there more I can do?  She has stuff on the bench that I have to work around.  As I said, she never uses the stuff so it sits gathering dust.  I really want to ask her why she feels the need for a presence on the bench when her job does not require it and I'm tired of her telling people that we don't give her space.  Is there a good way to handle it?  Others notice that she's never at the bench, so they understand why she doesn't have space.

Only me

Re: Sharing research space
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »
HI

Who is she complaining to and have you bothered to bring up your points to that person. If its you and the other person who use the bench, then don't worry about apeasing her. But I would keep note (document) or can you take it to a supervisor and ask what's up.

Onlyme

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »
Why don't you talk to her about it?

learningtofly

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
We did.  Or rather the other person on the bench did.  She gently brought up the fact that she has her own private room.  And it was countered by :But I don'thave any bench space."  It's like she needs to hang onto this real estate even though she can't use it and hates that we can. 

As far as I know she hasn't mentioned this to our supervisor. 

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
...I cleaned the bench, cleared shelf space, and rearranged drawers.  We have three chairs and three workspaces.  In the month since I cleaned everything this coworker has yet to enter the lab...

Next time she complains, tell her exactly what you told us in the above and see what she says. It does sound like she may be merely marking her territory or maybe she does want to come and work at the bench but feels its occupied.

Honestly, if I was in your position, I would spread out into the usable space too if no one was using it, but maybe she see that and feels like there no room for her.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
...I cleaned the bench, cleared shelf space, and rearranged drawers.  We have three chairs and three workspaces.  In the month since I cleaned everything this coworker has yet to enter the lab...

Next time she complains, tell her exactly what you told us in the above and see what she says. It does sound like she may be merely marking her territory or maybe she does want to come and work at the bench but feels its occupied.

Honestly, if I was in your position, I would spread out into the usable space too if no one was using it, but maybe she see that and feels like there no room for her.

I'll echo this. Point out that you *have* made space for her in the past.