Author Topic: Birthday Balloon Goes Bust *Update Post 11, 12 & 20  (Read 6569 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Birthday Balloon Goes Bust *Update Post 11, 12 & 20
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
This is speculation of course, but I wonder if Client responded the way he did not because he disliked the gesture, but because he was really touched and surprised by it and didn't know how to appropriately express that. I ran into that situation when some co-workers and I gave our new boss a birthday gift and got a similar reaction from her. We thought she either hated the gift or thought it was inappropriate, but later she wrote us a lovely e-mail thanking us for it and saying how much she liked it. I think she was just caught off-guard because it was unexpected and she had a hard time coming up with words at the time it was given.

Even if that's not the case in the OP's story, I certainly don't think OP did anything wrong.

Or he's awkward about receiving gifts in general (of a more substantial variety). My boss is super-awkward about receiving gifts and doesn't like a fuss made about her birthday, though she does tend to mention her birthday, because... she's awkward.
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
It is possible the client was brought up to downplay any gifts. I have seen it a lot, especially with men.

OP, I think you were fine.

turnip

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
My answer is a little different...

If he was a friend, I'd say he was rude.

However he is a client, and this is a business relationship, and therefore he has every right and obligation to tell you what he considers appropriate client/provider interaction.   I think you take his words as sincere and keep them in your interaction with him.     It is rude to reject friendly gestures, it is not rude to reject business gifts. 

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »
I wanted to POD the PPs who vote that you were okay - your heart was in the right place, it just didn't work out with that particular gift choice for that particular person.

Also, I have to threadjack a teeny tiny bit and say that your subject title made me think of Piglet giving Eeyore a red birthday balloon - that fit perfectly in Pooh's gift of an empty honeypot after it was accidentally popped. ;) In that case, as in this, it was the thought that counted. ;D

Also, can I just say that with all the complaints people may have about customer service these days, I would never dream of complaining about someone who went out of their way to be as thoughtful as you describe. How cynical do you have to be to say "Can you imagine the nerve of that oopsie, giving all her clients gifts? How dare she treat them as individuals instead of walking wallets! I bet she actually talks to people who call instead of sending everything to voice mail or an automated system. Who does she think she is, making generosity a business model?"     /sarcasm  :P
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »
I'm wondering if he's had a bad experience before, and was startled. "She brought me food and something cute - Oh no - maybe she likes me! Likes me likes me...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."