Author Topic: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons  (Read 9482 times)

reflection5

Being pulled over by police for odd reasons
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
I was talking to someone who told me he had been pulled over by the police the other evening because his rear window was not cleaned off quite good enough to see thru.  He apologized, got out and cleaned it better (which is the safe thing to do).  No citation, just a verbal reminder.

Actually, that’s not so “odd”, but it got me to thinking about something that happened a long time ago when I was very young.

I’d had a discussion with my then-BF, which resulted in a final break-up.  I got into my car and sat there for awhile crying.  Then I proceeded to drive home (it was about 1 am).

I noticed a police cruiser pull up as I stopped for a red light. (I was still sobbing.  The officer turned on his siren and motioned for me to pull over.   After checking license/registration he asked if everything was okay.  I told him I’d just had an argument with BF, but I was okay.  He said “well, you shouldn’t be driving right now.  You could hurt yourself or someone else”  I explained I was just a few minutes from home, and he said he would follow me to make sure I got there okay.

He was right; it taught me a valuable lesson.

So, have you ever been pulled over by police for anything other than a violation or mechanical reason?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:25:06 PM by reflection5 »

EnoughAlready22

Re: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
My mom once got pulled over.  She had just come off an exit ramp and knew she wasn't speeding. So she pulls over to see what's going on.  The officer came up to her window with a sheepish grin.  It turns out he had pulled someone else, had just gotten back on the road, but forgot to turn off his lights.   ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
In college a group of us were headed to a church retreat and we were pulled over because my friend's car had six seats - three in the back plus the driver, passenger, and a bench seat in the middle where most cars have the gear shift.  The officer assumed that we had one more person than the car was designed for, but there really were six seats.  Then he tried to say that the girl in the middle didn't have a seatbelt on - how he would have seen that from his car, I don't know, but he was wrong because we were all buckled up too.  He took forever to actually let us go.

Same friend, but my car this time, same retreat the next year - we had to go late, so my friend and my sister and I headed out late and were going to get there at about 2 AM.  We were in the middle of nowhere at around midnight when we pulled off the highway to switch drivers.  The exit from the highway dumped us into a bunch of farmland with nothing anywhere nearby, so we just pulled over to the side of the road in near-pitch-black conditions to swap out.  We had just gotten settled back in when police lights came on from behind us - like, RIGHT behind us.  Turns out the police officer was hiding with his lights off, waiting to catch drunk drivers or speeders coming off the highway, and we just happened to have done our driver switch less than ten yards ahead of his car.  He probably freaked out when we stopped the car and two of us got out - probably assumed we were planning to attack him or something :P  He was very nice about it - took our license and registration and whatnot, suggested we not do that in dark areas in the middle of nowhere again, and let us on our way.

nuit93

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
I've been followed by cops for reasons I couldn't figure out, but never pulled over.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »
For several months, I was getting stopped almost weekly even though I wasn't doing anything illegal or unusual, and I never received any kind of citation, just warnings to drive carefully.  I finally found out why when an officer let the story slip.  One of the officers in my area had a son, and that son had a car that looked very much like mine.  That car had been stolen, and so the reason I'd been stopped so many times turned out to be that they were checking that I owned the car I was driving.  That didn't make it any less irritating that I was constantly getting pulled over.

Virg

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »
I got pulled over once and was grilled very closely on my movements earlier in the day. Nothing about my car or my driving, just a lot of questions about how I had spent my morning. It was kind of frightening, because the officer had called for backup before getting out of his car, as a second state trooper appeared just a few minutes after I was stopped.

Neither of them would answer my questions about why I was pulled over. They just kept asking questions and demanding the names and phone numbers of people who could verify where I had been that morning. Only I didn't have phone numbers for my professors and fellow students in my grad school classes. I could only give them the department's main phone number, and they didn't like that. It was pre-cell phone days, and I did not have phone numbers for any of these people.

I finally turned from being frightened to being mad, because the officers were just hounding me and I knew I had done nothing wrong. I refused to answer any more questions until they told me why I had been stopped and allowed me access to a phone to call a lawyer. This was after about 15 minutes of questioning, demanding to see my license and registration, proof I was in grad school, making me get out of the car and be patted down. There are limits. I reached mine.

Turns out, there had been a rash of convenience store robberies, one just that morning, and one of the thieves was a dark-haired woman driving my make, model and color of car.

They finally let me go when I pulled out a couple of notebooks and showed them notes I had taken, with a header that had the class and date on it. I guess they figured a convenience store thief would not have gone to the trouble of faking a notebook full of notes on medieval English drama.

The police did follow up and call several of the people I mentioned to them, though.

Since they pulled me over only about a mile from campus, many of my friends and at least two professors saw me. I had to deal with teasing about that for months.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Amara

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »
My mom once got pulled over because she was going too slow on the freeway, about 45 mph, I believe. (In southern California, this is bad. The law is 65 mph, but in fact for most drivers that is nothing more than a suggestion.) He told her he wouldn't give her a ticket, but she asked him to because "it would help her to remember." We joked about it for years, kidding her that he'd probably been in the last few minutes of his shift and then "this woman made him spend the time to write a ticket."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:20:44 PM by Amara »

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
A friend got pulled over because their license plate wasn't clean enough. In Vermont. In mud season. Frankly, there are days it's pretty good to be able to tell what color a car is, never mind the plate (I clean mine every time I fill the tank, but my blue car isn't blue from the middle down right now).
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
My mom once got pulled over because she was going too slow on the freeway, about 45 mph, I believe. (In southern California, this is bad. The law is 65 mph, but in fact for most drivers that is nothing more than a suggestion.) He told her he wouldn't give her a ticket, but she asked him to because "it would help her to remember." We joked about it for years, kidding her that he'd probably been in the last few minutes of his shift and then "this woman made him spend the time to write a ticket."

My FIL got a ticket for doing the speed limit down the 15 years ago.  The officer told him he was creating a hazard going so slow and that he needed to adjust his speed to the flow of traffic.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
I cut a cop off by mistake and got pulled over.   I had been at a stop sign where I could only go straight or turn left as there was a building to my right.  I completely saw the cop coming from my left, waited a full 3 seconds, but had also mistakenly assumed he had a stop sign as well to turn left.  Turns out he didn't.   He came close to hitting me and pulled me over.  I stammered out my apologies and that I thought he had a stop sign.  He agreed with me that he thinks there should be one there as well, but there isn't, and please be aware of that from now on.  He let me go without a ticket.

Margo

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »
I got pulled over once as I was driving my parents and two of their friends home at around midnight one night - I was in my early 30s, and was acting as a taxi driver so they could all have a glass or two of wine at the formal dinner they'd been to, so they were all very smartly dressed.

The officer looked really shocked when he saw us, and he did then tell us I hadn't been doing anything wrong - he'd pulled us over ostensibly because the number plate was not clear (country road in winter, there was a lot of muddy spray) but really because we were in a older model Ford, late at night, and apparently these vehicles are easy to steal, and therefore popular with 'joyriders', and he could see there were a lot of people in the car, which apparently also fits the profile of a stolen car. He pulled us over assuming the car might be stolen. Presumably a car full of well dressed people in late middle age didn't then fit the profile...

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
I got pulled over because I crossed (slightly) into the shoulder on a sharp curve, late at night, with a car full of college girls. I think the officer was looking for drunk drivers, and figured if I'd go into the shoulder, I was drunk. Nope, just from Florida and not used to winding roads. In fact, the whole car was sober - we were all under age and were on our way to a drag show. He gave up after I offered to recite pi for him - I told him that due to ankle surgery, I couldn't stand on one foot at all.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
I got pulled over once for something someone else had done (although I had also done something dumb)!  The road I used to take home was two very long lanes, the left turning left down a steep hill, and the right going straight or turning right. There was always a huge backup at the left turn light, but the arrow to turn left was also long, so it really wasn’t that bad. So one day, which had been a really carpy day for me at work. I’m waiting to make my left turn, and I was about 3 cars back, when the light turned yellow. Now I KNOW I should have stopped but I didn’t as I just wanted to get home.

Well, all of a sudden I see flashing lights behind me so I pulled over, and thought, oh carp, just what I need. So the cop comes over and says “did you make that turn?” Thinking he meant basically turning on a red light, I very slowly said yeees. He then said “I couldn’t believe what I saw, a car coming up in the right lane, and then turning left”

I then realized he must have mistaken me with another car, and I said oh, no no no, I didn’t do that, I thought you pulled me over for turning on a red. He then asked me if I had SEEN who did it. Um no, I did not. I will say that while I had been waiting in line for the light to change and turn, a small, white sports car zoomed up in the right lane. Which could have been the one, however, since I drove a gray, four door sedan, I don’t know how the cop mistook me for the car that possibly made the very illegal turn!

mmswm

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
My mother has had the experience of being pulled over because she drove the same make and model vehicle as one that was involved in a crime.  My mother, however, can be mouthy and knows the law very, very well. After the second "off" question, my mother told the officer he needed to produce a warrant to arrest her and/or search her car, or let her go.  She would be kind enough to give him time to go back to his car and contact whomever he needed to, but she would wait no longer than 10 minutes, then she motioned to the smart phone in her lap  and noted she'd be happy to record her request, and noted she was also aware that the police cars were all equipped with dash cams.  He let her go immediately. The whole conversation took less than 5 minutes.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Lynnv

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
I got stopped when I was on the bike.  I had just pulled back out on the road after an emergency bug stop.  I had gotten a bee down my shirt, so had stopped to try to get it out before I got stung.  Someone had apparently called the cops about the crazy woman dancing on the side of the road.   The cop was, fortunately, a biker and understood me perfectly when I told him I had been doing the "biker bee dance."   ;D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein