Author Topic: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons  (Read 9676 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
I got stopped when I was on the bike.  I had just pulled back out on the road after an emergency bug stop.  I had gotten a bee down my shirt, so had stopped to try to get it out before I got stung.  Someone had apparently called the cops about the crazy woman dancing on the side of the road.   The cop was, fortunately, a biker and understood me perfectly when I told him I had been doing the "biker bee dance."   ;D

Oops. Slightly OT but I have a friend who is not only allergic but afraid of bees. She hasn't yet learned that if she's calm and leaves them alone they will go away. Instead she shrieks, jumps and waves her arms. I call it the "Bee flail"

oogyda

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
I once got pulled over.  The officer approached the passenger side, opened the door (of my 2 door pick-up)and said "Hi.  I just wanted to see the baby."  It was an officer that used to frequently check on the employees of the mini-mart I worked at (there was often only one of there at any given time, and the cops checked in on us) throughout my pregnancy.  After a little chit chat and appropriate oohing and aahing over the beautiful baby girl, he lectured me to keep that door locked, "cuz anybody could open it and grab her her"

In the meantime, I swear that everyone I knew drove by and saw me sitting with a cop car (with his lights on) behind me.  I had several calls that afternoon asking if I was okay, what I'd been pulled over for, etc. 

Speaking of bikes....although I believe Lynnv was speaking of a motorcycle....Oogydad once got a speeding ticket on his bicycle (actual, pedal type mountain bike) 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

reflection5

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
In the meantime, I swear that everyone I knew drove by and saw me sitting with a cop car (with his lights on) behind me.  I had several calls that afternoon asking if I was okay, what I'd been pulled over for, etc.   

Yeah, that happened to me when I lived in a small town. :D  (I got a speeding ticket.)  A neighbor happened to drive by and wanted to see if I needed money or a ride.  Couple people drove by slowly and honked.  I got a few calls later.

Just remembered another one - my brother once got pulled over for "making out" in the front seat with his girlfriend.  Officer told him to keep his eyes on the road, and told gf to scoot away and followed the car for awhile.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:01:44 PM by reflection5 »

MOM21SON

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
When this happened I was working full time and in school full time.  However I needed to keep my social life up.

When I was 18-19 a friend and I were driving to the local clubs.  Legal at 18 at that time.  My friend was driving.  We were headed east and the cop was headed west.  We were smoking legal cigarettes.  Well cop passed us did a quick Uturn and pulled us over.  He was insistant that I was smoking pot!  My eyes were red and I did look tired.  But he was really nasty and threatening.  He emptied the ashtray onto the street, offered to "take me to the station for a quick little test."  He also threatened to tear the car apart.  We were really stunned and scared.  He finally let us go after about 20 minutes.

Come to find out that cop was known for his abusive behavior to everyone he stopped.  A few years later he was taken from the force by someone that wasn't taking his crap.

sleepy59

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
I got pulled over three times in a week once because the police thought I might have been involved in an armed robbery!

The first time they pulled me over I had four children in the car, three of the children were in car seats and I was quizzed by two policemen about where I had been that afternoon, where my car had been parked, who had keys for my car and did I have a spare key and If so where was it kept.  I answered all their questions but they wouldn't tell me what they were investigating.

The next day I got pulled over again and questioned again. This time I only had 2 children in the car but still had all three cars seats in place.

A couple of days later I was pulled overs again, no children but three car seats in the back of the car.  I answered the questions again and asked why I'd been pulled over three times in a week. The policeman finally explained that there had been an armed robbery and they had reports that the get away car was the same colour and make as my car and some of the number plate was similar.  I did point out that my car wouldn't make a good get away car unless the robbers were child size due to the car seats!

Thankfully the policeman said he'd put a notice up saying not to pull me over again and I didn't get pulled over again.

baritone108

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
I was talking to someone who told me he had been pulled over by the police the other evening because his rear window was not cleaned off quite good enough to see thru.  He apologized, got out and cleaned it better (which is the safe thing to do).  No citation, just a verbal reminder.

So, have you ever been pulled over by police for anything other than a violation or mechanical reason?

Where I live this is something you can get a citation for so techinically it would be a violation, even if the policeman was nice and didn't give out the citation.

Jules1980

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
In college a group of us were headed to a church retreat and we were pulled over because my friend's car had six seats - three in the back plus the driver, passenger, and a bench seat in the middle where most cars have the gear shift.  The officer assumed that we had one more person than the car was designed for, but there really were six seats.  Then he tried to say that the girl in the middle didn't have a seatbelt on - how he would have seen that from his car, I don't know, but he was wrong because we were all buckled up too.  He took forever to actually let us go.

Same friend, but my car this time, same retreat the next year - we had to go late, so my friend and my sister and I headed out late and were going to get there at about 2 AM.  We were in the middle of nowhere at around midnight when we pulled off the highway to switch drivers.  The exit from the highway dumped us into a bunch of farmland with nothing anywhere nearby, so we just pulled over to the side of the road in near-pitch-black conditions to swap out.  We had just gotten settled back in when police lights came on from behind us - like, RIGHT behind us.  Turns out the police officer was hiding with his lights off, waiting to catch drunk drivers or speeders coming off the highway, and we just happened to have done our driver switch less than ten yards ahead of his car.  He probably freaked out when we stopped the car and two of us got out - probably assumed we were planning to attack him or something :P He was very nice about it - took our license and registration and whatnot, suggested we not do that in dark areas in the middle of nowhere again, and let us on our way.

He might have thought you saw him and decided to switch drivers because the current driver was drunk and didn't want to be caught.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
My parents got pulled over for a breath test one night and my Mum didn't have her license on her. But, my stepfather did and had been drinking at the work dinner they were coming back from. The cop let them off as they did the right thing, even if they didn't anticipate it.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
He pulled us over assuming the car might be stolen. Presumably a car full of well dressed people in late middle age didn't then fit the profile...

Something similar happened to me. I live close to the Mexican border in an area noted for drug smuggling. At the time, my car was in the shop and I was driving a rental. I can't remember the make and model of the car, but it was a higher-end, sporty kind of thing - nothing like what I usually drive, but I wound up with it because of a mix-up at the rental place. I'm in Arizona, but the car had Nevada plates.

While driving home from work and within a mile of my house, I was pulled over by Border Patrol. The agent approached my car rather cautiously, shining his flashlight into my eyes, but when he got a good look at me he lowered the flashlight and the look of disappointment mixed with disgust on his face was so hilarious that I couldn't help laughing. Middle-aged, corporate-looking women with cases of cat food in the front seat don't really fit the drug-smuggler profile.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
My sister, while on vacation in another state with some friends, was pulled over, forced out the vehicle at gunpoint, and grilled by the cops for some time. She and the vehicle matched the description of a woman who had murdered her child and fled the scene.

Not a great way to start a vacation.   :o
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

reflection5

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »
Middle-aged, corporate-looking women with cases of cat food in the front seat don't really fit the drug-smuggler profile.

I know what you mean, and don't take this the wrong way, but drug smugglers often use couriers who are the least likely to arouse suspicion.  (ex: woman with baby, elderly people, etc. vs the "stereotype" of a drug smuggler)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
Middle-aged, corporate-looking women with cases of cat food in the front seat don't really fit the drug-smuggler profile.

I know what you mean, and don't take this the wrong way, but drug smugglers often use couriers who are the least likely to arouse suspicion.  (ex: woman with baby, elderly people, etc. vs the "stereotype" of a drug smuggler)

True, though that's somewhat less common in my area. The Border Patrol guy did ask me where I was going, why I was driving a car with Nevada plates, and a few other questions, just in case. He continued to look disappointed, though.  :)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:24 PM »
BG - I grew up in the memorial villages. The roads are narrow and used to have deep ditches beside them. After a series of near misses where cars or in my case a school bus - forced a kids off the road into ditches, a group parents/citizens got together had colverts put in and an Hike and Bike trail put where the ditches used to be. It is the LAW that bikes stay on the Hike and Bike trail - it is illegal for bikes to be on the roads that have a hike and bike trail.

Sis and I were going to the library. Arrogent new man forcably stops us and screams at us for riding our bikes on the "Sidewalk". Village Cop sees us trying to get away from him stops and gives him whatfore - he also issues him 3 tickets 1 for him and 2 for his kids for riding their bikes in the street.

Mom and I are driving down Piney Point. SOme brats I go to school with get off the hike and bike trail and block the road riding side by side. Hedwick cop comes up behinds us and flicks his lights and sounds his siren. Mom is fed up and pulls over. He pulls around us, waves does the siren and light thing again and pulls over the brats. Their parents called up mom and cussed her out for "making the brats break the law and calling the cops on them. How I don't know - no-one had cell phones back then.

In Harris County you can pay your registration at the grocery store. I did. Granted it was on the last day of the month - but I paid it on time. I was pulled over 5 - 6 times for having expired registration. I called Harris County thinking somehow my payment was lost. NO - they have 45 days to put it in the computer. Now I didn't get a ticket - because I had all the paper work in my glove box proving the sticker on my car was valid. I have to give the Richmond and Rosenburg cops some praise. After the 3rd time - when I had finally gotten a response from Harris County I told the cop. He said he would spread the word not to pull over the Smith teacher with the green honda because Harris County had messed up. I still got pulled over on the tollway several more times.

A friend left a rest stop as a DPS officer pulled in. They were just a couple of moments down the road with the DPS officer exited the rest stop lights and siren on and pulled them over. When they pulled out he saw a stuffed dog on the ground where they had parked. They had been the only car there so he decided to try and return it. It was her son's lovey. It must have got knocked out when they were putting him in the car seat.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »
I've been pulled over heaps of times on the bike for 'random licence checks'.  It's no big deal, but it's truly surprising the number of people that ride without having their licence on them.

Probably the oddest occasion was a couple of years ago at Cowes, Phillip Island, during one of the practice days for World Superbikes.  I got pulled over on the main drag into town, ostensibly for a random licence and registration check, but in reality because the cop wanted to check out my bike - yes, he told me quite openly.

We had a lovely chat on the side of the road, meanwhile several hundred riders went past, each looking over and giving me a surrepticious 'everything OK?' signal, and me nodding back at them.  It's rather touching how the motorcycling community looks out for each other.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
My brother was just leaving his boarding house (because he was on a short term work contract) to come home for a holiday.  A few minutes down the road, he got pulled over.  Because the local cop wanted to check out the new guy staying Mrs. Jones boarding house.

Later in that same trip, after dark, an oncoming car flicked its high beams at him.  Since he was already on low beams, he didn't do anything.  Then the car flicked again.  My brother flicked back.  Car puts on its high beams and leaves them on so my brother responded in kind.  Car pulls a uey after it goes by and then puts his lights on and pulls my brother over.  Cop tried to give my brother a ticket for driving with the high beams on so my brother asked for the cop's name and badge number so he could report him for the same thing.  Guy was on some kind of power trip for some reason and my brother had no intention of joining him.  Cop let him go.  But between the two stops, he was almost an hour late getting home.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario