Author Topic: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons  (Read 9682 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »
I was very glad, however, that he didn't look in the car, because we had an interesting collection of items on the back seat:

One plastic bottle of holy water from Lourdes
One 2-foot-tall animated beaver that sang a really annoying song
One 4-foot-long replica longsword - blunt, but without sheath.

I really wonder what he would have made of those...  ;D

Oh, that reminds me of another story. I was pulled over legitimately for going a few miles over the speed limit. This was amusing in and of itself since at the time, I was driving an ancient car we called the Crapmobile. It was surprising that it was actually capable of going over the speed limit.

Anyway, the officer did the usual asking of questions and checking of documents, which took a while, then let me off with a warning.

The hilarious thing about the encounter was the fact that he never made a single comment about the large raven (yes, a real one - a rehab case) flapping, squawking, and clearly visible in a box in the front seat.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

ScubaGirl

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2013, 02:23:43 PM »
I was pulled over on a sunny, Saturday afternoon.  I was driving, my SIL was in the front passenger seat and my brother was in the back.  The road was fairly busy and the cop had to quick cut in behind me, his lights already flashing.  I was very confused because I was just accelerating after a stop light so was not speeding.  He took his time looking in all the car windows before he spoke to me.  He said he thought my license plate tab had expired but he sees that it wasn't. He asked to see the car registration and then he let me go.  However, what we really think happened is he noticed a man suddenly sit up in the back seat.  My brother had been laying down and sat up.  There was no way the police officer could see the license tab from a couple cars behind me and we think he was just looking out for my safety - which is really cool, not sure why he didn't just say that if that was, in fact, the case.

lilfox

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
Got pulled over once for doing a California roll* through a stop sign.  In California.  What irritated me was that I had seen the cop car behind me so had really made an effort to come to a complete stop, but apparently didn't manage it to his satisfaction (the full 3 seconds, I guess).

(* California roll is one name for where you slow to almost a stop, look, then proceed without having come to a full stop.  Obviously you only proceed if the coast is clear!)

cattlekid

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
We used to call that the "South Philly Slide"

Got pulled over once for doing a California roll* through a stop sign.  In California.  What irritated me was that I had seen the cop car behind me so had really made an effort to come to a complete stop, but apparently didn't manage it to his satisfaction (the full 3 seconds, I guess).

(* California roll is one name for where you slow to almost a stop, look, then proceed without having come to a full stop.  Obviously you only proceed if the coast is clear!)

alkira6

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »

I have been pulled over in Scotland, Tennessee, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Illionois, Michigan, Kentucky, Florida, Alabama, DC, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Texas, Missouri,and Virginia.  Out of all of these, most were routine traffic stops that resulted in nothing, one was a ticket for going 65 in a 55 (crossing over a state line and didn't slow in time), 4 resulted in my car being searched (nothing found), one passenger being arrested (a cousin that I was taking home who had a child support warrant ), and one citation for a broken tail light and no proof of insurance (both dropped after I went to court with proof of insurance and report of the fixed tail light).

At least you have only 32 states and a few territories to go, then you will have been pulled over in every state!

Yeah, no, not looking into that.  ::)  The Land Whale - that car was wonderful, yet cursed.  This was the same car that was constantly getting rear-ended.  Between the stops and the accidents a busted water pump gave me the excuse I needed to sell it.   

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
My sister has a '93 Cadillac Eldorado that she has driven into the ground.  It is in horrendous shape...I'm almost afraid to ride along in it.  She has been pulled over 2-3 times just so the police can ask her why her car looks like it is about to explode! 

Library Dragon

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »
When I received my one and only speeding ticket I made the state trooper cry.  I was doing 73 in a 65 zone.  Well, no, I didn't.  He saw the disabled veteran's license  plate.  He started telling me about his own military disability, his fight to come back, become a state trooper, etc.  By the time he was done I felt like I should present him with a bill for therapy. 

Oh, well.  He needed to talk to someone and I had to pay $$$ for him to do it. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Chip2

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
I was in stop-and-go traffic in a mid-size town in TN when the plain blue sedan behind turned on its flashing lights. The only thing I could even consider being a problem is that my hatch wasn't shut, but when I pulled over the cop just wanted to talk about FL. My car had a dealer sticker on it from my town and the detective was from the same town. We talked for about 10 minutes, then the cop gave me his card and we both went on our way.

snowfire

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
I've got two.  Some years ago DH & I and a friend were driving back from Las Vegas to Idaho, going up the eastern side of Nevada.  We had been down in Las Vegas for the Macworld convention.  While DH & his co-worker were doing booth duty, I had been playing tourist and hitting some of the auto salvage yards.  At the time we both had old cars & I was known on a first name basis at our local salvage yards.  Down in Vegas I had scored a replacement bumper for DH's muscle car and a complete exhaust system (all pipes from engine back) for a friend's MG.  Since the bumper was for the car we were driving it was obviously too big to fit inside the car.  We had the bumper and the longest part of the MG exhaust pipe rolled up in an old bedspread and strapped to the top of the trunk just behind the rear window.  Thinking back, yeah it looked kind of odd...it was about "body" size and shape.  I think a combination of that and a long boring shift in the middle of nowhere late at night caused a tribal cop on the Duck Valley reservation to pull us over and quiz us about where we had been and where we were going.  It took him a good ten minutes to get around to "Sooooo, what's that rolled up in the blanket?"  We explained, he could see we were driving a 20 year old car, he told us to be careful and have a nice drive and waved us on.  We giggled a lot that if we were really going to transport a body, we wouldn't be that obvious about it.

The second time, my Mom had just moved a month or so before and she was still having issues with mail going to the old house.  Because of this, and the normal headaches of moving she had missed renewing her car license tags.  She and I had been up at our place in the hills and had one of my cats with us.  Unfortunately, we found out the hard way that Neko gets carsick.  He had already horked in his carrier and so Mom was holding him in her arms with a towel on her lap.  I was driving.  The cop pulled us over and he was standing on the passenger side of the car since it was too dangerous for him to be on the drivers' side.  He was questioning us about the registration and we quickly realized the problem.  In the meantime, poor kitty is starting to puke again.  The officer took pity on us, told us to take care of the registration and sent us on our way.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
My sister has a '93 Cadillac Eldorado that she has driven into the ground.  It is in horrendous shape...I'm almost afraid to ride along in it.  She has been pulled over 2-3 times just so the police can ask her why her car looks like it is about to explode!

Kind of OT, but this reminds me of my own fear of getting pulled over in our car:

Mr. Bottlecaps and I have a '74 Plymouth Duster. It runs pretty good but looks rough as ehell. It's our daily driver but it's also a project car, as we're slowly but surely doing restorations on it. I'm hoping this won't be a problem after we prime and paint it, but right now it's nickname is the Rust Bucket, hehe (lots of surface rust and just a couple small spots where it's eaten through, nothing a little Bondo can't fix). I'm so afraid we're going to get pulled over just because our car looks like it's about to fall apart at any minute, LOL.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
A few years ago when I was living in Tasmania we were on our way to work in rush hour, myself and my parents, and we saw a huge queue of cars up the road. We thought it might be an accident, but when we finally crawled towards town we saw the cop cars.

They were checking licenses.

They made half the town late firework so they could catch six people with expires licenses.

Yup, I've seen the same thing heading into Hobart - Friday morning, peak hour, inbound (on the Brooker Hwy near the DEC) doing random breath tests and pulling in every single car in the LH lane.  Same going home, again Friday afternoon peak hour, outbound near the Granton roundabout where everything occasionally comes to a grinding halt anyway because the LH lane ends.  Coming into Easter they'll probably be at it again this afternoon.

All my random licence tests were on the mainland.  Here they seem a little more laid-back about bikes. 

PS where did you live down here?  (If you don't mind me asking, of course!)  I'm up in the Derwent Valley.

Minmom3

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »
At one point, when DD#1 was little and the only kid, I was driving some sporty monster whose make escapes me, but you couldn't see in the back seat from outside.  I used to drive the commute lane on part of my route to the baby sitter in the morning, and for a week or two, I think I got stopped EVERY morning, only to have the cop come up and see her there in her car seat, apologize to me, and go back to his car.  After a week or two I think they must have learned and put out the word, and it no longer happened.

The scariest thing I've ever had happen with a cop car was driving down a lovely local freeway, in a lovely local town, on a 50 mile trip back to my apartment, when an unmarked car came up behind me, landed and stuck to my rear bumper, and both sounded his siren and flashed his little mobile light at me.  Scared the *%^)*(& out of me.  He had plenty of room to go around me on the right (multi lanes, perfectly legal) but he wanted ME to move over.  So, I moved, and he zipped on by, and about a mile down the road, I saw him parked at the off ramp, doing exactly nothing.

The second scariest was one morning when I was groggily going out for donuts really early, and came to a stop at a 4 way intersection.  And it's a damned good thing I did so, because a cop coming the other way ran his stop sign and would have T-boned me if I hadn't stopped properly.

But, to give credit where credit is due, one memorable date, late at night, the cops took me home and lectured me about how they were going to have to talk to my mother when we got there (because my date had done a hit and run, and WHY I hadn't peed my pants is a mystery to me) and after thoroughly cowing me, as soon as I put my key in the lock, he turned and walked way.  I turned and asked him,"Wait!  Didn't you want to talk to my mother?!"  I don't think he even answered me, he just left!  I'd have baked him cookies the next week if I'd know who he was and were to take them. 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

mmswm

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2013, 12:03:08 AM »
My scariest story was when I was barely 21 years old.  I was driving home from class fairly late at night.  Part of my route took me past the edge of a rather unsafe neighborhood.  Unfortunately, I couldn't really avoid that part of the route. There'd also been a rash of crimes committed by a police impersonator in an unmarked car.  This is important information.

So, I'm driving down US1 and just as I get past the brightly lit mall area and start to approach the not-so-nice neighborhood, I saw flashing lights. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that it was an unmarked car. I wasn't about to pull over at that exact spot.  Thankfully, there is a major police station/fire house/government center just a few blocks from where I was, so I did what every police public service announcement advised me to do.  I turned on my hazards and drove to the police station.  When I got there, the officer that tried to pull me over got really nasty and tried to physically yank me out of the car.  I screamed (from pain) loudly enough to attract attention.  The officer let go, but he continued to berate me.  His supervisor came out and asked what was going on.  By then I'd calmed down enough to tell the supervisor that his officer had legitimately initiated a traffic stop because I was most definitely speeding, but because I was a woman travelling alone and he was in an unmarked car, I drove to the police station before I stopped, as all of the women in the county had been advised to do numerous times over the course of the last several weeks.  The officer tried to insist that I was attempting to evade him, but his supervisor called him a moron and said who tries to evade a traffic stop by driving to a police station?  The supervisor let me go with a warning.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:40 AM »
We had a pristine Cadillac that was about 10 years old, drove it through a small town and there was a car in the left turn lane with his signal on, so passed on the right, obviously. The cop stopped us, was really shocked that our Cadillac was so old, gave us a ticket for passing on the right - he also told us our fine would be $20 and we could settle it with him. Um- hmm, we said to ourselves.

So we went to our day in court with a copy of the Illinois big book of laws (Lucas knew the drivers' ed teacher quite well) and the dude didn't show up for court. We were sloughed off by the court's attorney and the judge. We soon heard that the cop was, um--, let go because he did so much of what he tried to do with us. By the way, he was the chief - at least there were only 3 other cops.

This one is sad. Pre-cellphone, we always told someone in the families where we were going and the route we were taking, and what vehicle we would be driving. We were on our way to the camp on US Rt 30 when the county cop pulled us over. The first thing he said was, "Your driving is fine! Are you Lucas? Your father is in the hospital in *this town*." I always marvel at what chain of events that took place with my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, the state and county police and the luck that that particular man paid attention to all the dispatches and saw us. We got there in time to comfort our nieces, to hold our daughter, and to see Lucas's father take his last breath.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:28:47 AM by Luci45 »

learningtofly

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2013, 08:47:34 AM »
I drive a busy highway on my commute and the left lane is a passing lane.  I spend the entire commute in the left lane passing along with other like-minded fast drivers.  Occasionally a police officer will come up in the passing lane.  They don't turn on their lights, you are supposed to just know they are there and move over to let them pass.  It's a decent system as long as you remember to look in your rear view mirror every so often.  I have no idea why they can't just travel with the rest of us, but DH is a local and he assures me this is the norm.

So yesterday I'm coming home and a police officer comes up behind me.  I move over, he passes, and I got back in the lane behind him.  Except the car in front of me didn't move over.  He just kept driving 15 mph over the speed limit with the cop behind him.  Odd, but he was traveling with traffic and there were 4 cars ahead of him.  We slowed down, we sped up, it was a normal commute.  And then suddenly we really slowed and I realized that the car in front of me was following no one.  He must have annoyed the cop because next thing I know the car was getting pulled over.  Since the officer had been following this guy for a good twenty minutes before pulling him over I'm guessing it wasn't a registration issue.