Author Topic: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons  (Read 9295 times)

Margo

Re: Being pulled over by police for odd reasons
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

That reminds me of the time I was stopped at a border patrol checkpoint in South Texas and forgot that I had a blow up 3 foot tall alien buckled up in the backseat of my car. I was on my way to the Roswell Alien Festival via Big Bend National Park and in a moment of silliness had strapped him in. Luckily the border patrol agents had a good sense of humor and let me go after telling me a few places to check out nearby.
I didn't get pulled over, but I did get some very odd looks once, as I was driving around with a full size, human skeleton strapped into the front passenger seat..

Particularly when I was waiting in some VERY slow traffic...

I think I got more funny looks the second time I drove him around (when he was wearing a wooley hat, and a coat) than the first time (when he was naked).

But it really was the only practical way to transport him. I couldn't put him in the boot. I had a life-size human torso with removable organs there. And anyway, it seemed anti-social. We'd got to like him.

oogyda

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
Luci45, that's a very nice story.  When my grandmother died, they had to track down my aunt and uncle in Yellowstone National Park.  The park rangers were very helpful.

Oogydad and I once were driving through Montana at 2:30ish a.m.  We would go miles without seeing onother vehicle.  We did see a Bronco sitting in the median, and he got behind us as we went by.  He got very close behind us, shined a spotlight in the cap we had on the back of our pick-up, came up beside us on the driver's side and shined the light in the cab.  Then he pulled a little ahead of us, found a spot to cross the median, and went the other way.  Sure put us on our toes for the rest of the drive. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

clio917

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
I think every state/region has a name for that... It was called a Michigan stop where I grew up.

The only time I've been pulled over (knock on wood...) was when I was driving a rental car. The rental place had apparently forgotten to replace the expired license tabs on the car before they rented it out to me. The cop let me go when I let him know it was a rental. I had to really argue to convince the rental company that, yes, they really did need to let me bring the car back for them to put the new tabs on and that, no, it wasn't really OK for me to finish out my rental period with expired plates.

We used to call that the "South Philly Slide"

Got pulled over once for doing a California roll* through a stop sign.  In California.  What irritated me was that I had seen the cop car behind me so had really made an effort to come to a complete stop, but apparently didn't manage it to his satisfaction (the full 3 seconds, I guess).

(* California roll is one name for where you slow to almost a stop, look, then proceed without having come to a full stop.  Obviously you only proceed if the coast is clear!)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »
The only time I've been pulled over (knock on wood...) was when I was driving a rental car. The rental place had apparently forgotten to replace the expired license tabs on the car before they rented it out to me. The cop let me go when I let him know it was a rental. I had to really argue to convince the rental company that, yes, they really did need to let me bring the car back for them to put the new tabs on and that, no, it wasn't really OK for me to finish out my rental period with expired plates.

It was for this very reason I made the rental company give me a new car. My car is on the ancient side, and its an 8 hour drive to my moms. Last summer I was going down to see her, and had taken 1/2 day, and picked up my car. Then got gas, ran some errands ,etc. it was only then I noticed that not only did the car have FL plates (I'm in NJ), which was ok, but I guess in FL the reg. tags are ON the plate, and had expired June 30 (this was August).  My mom lives in VA. They tried to tell me it was ok, and I  said oh no it is not. I am not taking the chance of getting pulled over in PA, MD or VA with FL plates and a NJ license. even though its a rental, I don't want to take the chance they won't give me a ticket.

And then I insisted they reimburse me for the gas I had put in the car after I picked it up. They were nice and gave me a free day for that. That's the only issue I've ever had with this particular place, and they did take care of it.

MrTango

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »
I once got pulled over by the police so they could switch cars with me...

I was driving their unmarked Crown Victoria while our security vehcile was in the shop.  Seeing four police officers (3 of them over 6 feet tall) pile out of a little Geo Tracker was hillarious.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »
Middle-aged, corporate-looking women with cases of cat food in the front seat don't really fit the drug-smuggler profile.

I know what you mean, and don't take this the wrong way, but drug smugglers often use couriers who are the least likely to arouse suspicion.  (ex: woman with baby, elderly people, etc. vs the "stereotype" of a drug smuggler)

True, though that's somewhat less common in my area. The Border Patrol guy did ask me where I was going, why I was driving a car with Nevada plates, and a few other questions, just in case. He continued to look disappointed, though.  :)

Did he open any of the cat food cans?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »
I was very glad, however, that he didn't look in the car, because we had an interesting collection of items on the back seat:

One plastic bottle of holy water from Lourdes
One 2-foot-tall animated beaver that sang a really annoying song
One 4-foot-long replica longsword - blunt, but without sheath.

I really wonder what he would have made of those...  ;D

I believe that beaver could have gotten you five to ten in some places.

Yes, I truly believe it could have. The only reason we had it was that my PIL were desperately trying to get rid of it. We had managed to 'leave it behind' right up until we were pulling out of their driveway, and then FIL came sprinting out with it and I was just too slow rolling the window up.  ;D ;D

Plus a bag of zucchini?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »

It was for this very reason I made the rental company give me a new car. My car is on the ancient side, and its an 8 hour drive to my moms. Last summer I was going down to see her, and had taken 1/2 day, and picked up my car. Then got gas, ran some errands ,etc. it was only then I noticed that not only did the car have FL plates (I'm in NJ), which was ok, but I guess in FL the reg. tags are ON the plate, and had expired June 30 (this was August).  My mom lives in VA. They tried to tell me it was ok, and I  said oh no it is not. I am not taking the chance of getting pulled over in PA, MD or VA with FL plates and a NJ license. even though its a rental, I don't want to take the chance they won't give me a ticket.

And then I insisted they reimburse me for the gas I had put in the car after I picked it up. They were nice and gave me a free day for that. That's the only issue I've ever had with this particular place, and they did take care of it.

All commercially registered vehicles in Florida expire June 30th. At least registrations can be renewed two years at a time now.

norrina

« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2013, 09:47:16 PM »
Where I live now, if I want to get to Main Road X I can do so by proceeding down My Street, turning onto Big Side Street A, turning again onto Big Side Street B, then cutting down Little Side Street C to connect to Main Road X. I used to live on Little Side Street C, which is the primary reason I know of and use the cut through option.

On this particular day, as I approached the stop sign where My Street t-intersects into Big Side Street A, I noticed that a police officer was stopped in the right turn lane of My Street, about 2 car lengths back from the stop sign. So I stopped behind him, and after a moment he stuck his hand out and waved me around. I cautiously proceeded around him and turned right onto Big Side Street A, from the left turn lane. The officer then turned right onto Big Side Street A himself.

With an officer following immediately behind me, I carefully obeyed all traffic laws as I progressed down Big Side Street A, Big Side Street B, and finally onto Little Side Street C. It was shortly after I turned onto Little Side Street C that the officer hit his lights. Obediently, I pulled as far to the side as I could, really expecting the officer to just swing around me, since Little Side Street C is not a good area of town, and the only thing I had done "wrong" was that right turn from a left turn lane 2 1/2 miles ago that he had motioned me to do anyhow. But now, the officer instructed into his bullhorn that I was to pull over on Dead End Street D, which I did.

Wary (remember, this was not a nice neighborhood, and I used to live in it, so I would know), I rolled my window down a smidge, and obligingly handed over the license and registration when asked. The officer checked them, and finally revealed that he pulled me over because he "couldn't read" my registration tag. But my registration was valid (about 4 months old at that point), and I clearly recalled putting the new stickers on my plate. Oh, no, the problem he said was that the month sticker was faded and he couldn't read if the year was 2012 or 2013 (despite having been directly behind me for 2 1/2 miles on roads with speed limits as low as 35 MPH). He took my license and registration back to the car, and spent nearly 10 minutes with them, finally returning with a warning.

Long story short, I now have a "warning" on my record because SC DMV didn't choose the right weather resistant material for their registration stickers, and a police officer needed spectacles.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »
I worked for the local tax collector's office (where they issue license plates and registrations) we ended up having to replace all the stickers for two years because the supplied material was defective.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »
I was pulled over on a sunny, Saturday afternoon.  I was driving, my SIL was in the front passenger seat and my brother was in the back.  The road was fairly busy and the cop had to quick cut in behind me, his lights already flashing.  I was very confused because I was just accelerating after a stop light so was not speeding.  He took his time looking in all the car windows before he spoke to me.  He said he thought my license plate tab had expired but he sees that it wasn't. He asked to see the car registration and then he let me go.  However, what we really think happened is he noticed a man suddenly sit up in the back seat.  My brother had been laying down and sat up.  There was no way the police officer could see the license tab from a couple cars behind me and we think he was just looking out for my safety - which is really cool, not sure why he didn't just say that if that was, in fact, the case.
He may have thought that he was seeing the actual playing out of an urban legend, The Killer in the Back Seat.

My own is not so dramatic.  I was 17, 5'2" and 100 pounds wringing wet.  Then-BF (now DH) was in the passenger seat.  I went past the cop car at the side of the road, doing the speed limit or just under it, and he pulled out with the lights on.  I stopped and this HUGE Texas cop came up and asked to see my license.   BF asked what the trouble was.  Cop grinned, handed my license back, and said "The little lady didn't look like she was tall enough in the saddle." 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »
I got pulled over when I was driving my Dad's tow truck - because the police officer didn't recognise me as one of the licensed towers in town.

Getting a tow truck license in our town usually involved speaking to this particular officer because he was the one who took the tow tests, but I got my tow truck license in Melbourne.

He was shocked when he recognised me as my fathers' daughter, apologised (because he did know that I had my tow license) and asked where I was heading, because he was on his way to a no-injuries collision and he knew that I was paid per tow.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
I was pulled over on a sunny, Saturday afternoon.  I was driving, my SIL was in the front passenger seat and my brother was in the back.  The road was fairly busy and the cop had to quick cut in behind me, his lights already flashing.  I was very confused because I was just accelerating after a stop light so was not speeding.  He took his time looking in all the car windows before he spoke to me.  He said he thought my license plate tab had expired but he sees that it wasn't. He asked to see the car registration and then he let me go.  However, what we really think happened is he noticed a man suddenly sit up in the back seat.  My brother had been laying down and sat up.  There was no way the police officer could see the license tab from a couple cars behind me and we think he was just looking out for my safety - which is really cool, not sure why he didn't just say that if that was, in fact, the case.
He may have thought that he was seeing the actual playing out of an urban legend, The Killer in the Back Seat.

My own is not so dramatic.  I was 17, 5'2" and 100 pounds wringing wet.  Then-BF (now DH) was in the passenger seat.  I went past the cop car at the side of the road, doing the speed limit or just under it, and he pulled out with the lights on.  I stopped and this HUGE Texas cop came up and asked to see my license.   BF asked what the trouble was.  Cop grinned, handed my license back, and said "The little lady didn't look like she was tall enough in the saddle."

That line, imagined in a slow Texas drawl, made me laugh. :)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

otterwoman

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »
This is from a friend: Years ago she was a home health aide, working an overnight shift at a client's home. It was very early morning when she was driving home. It was Spring time, and up here in Spring the frogs come out of hibernation and start looking for other frogs. The frogs cross the roads. My friend was steering around the frogs on the roads, when pretty red and blue lights started flashing behind her. She pulled over.

The officer comes up and asks her if she'd been drinking. She explained she was on her way home from work. He asked her why she was swerving all over the road.

"I was trying to avoid the hiphops."
"The hiphops?"
"Umm, the frogs."

The officer took her license back to his car. My friend watched him in her rearview mirror. He leaned into the car and spoke to the other officer in the car. The other officer suddenly burst out laughing, head down, fist pounding the dashboard. The first officer is now leaning on the patrol car laughing. After a few minutes, he composed himself enough to walk back to my friends car. He handed back her license and then told her "G_d will forgive you, hit the frogs."

Hexteacher

• The time has come to grow old disgracefully.
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:16 AM »
This happened to me a few years ago when I owned my first bike.  I had been at an evening computer class and was riding home in the dark.  Now as per usual I had checked my lights before I headed off, but hadn't realised that shortly after my tail light had burned out.  Of course my ride through town took me right past the police station.  Less than 100 yards later I get pulled over on a busy 2 lane road in the middle of town.  Thus the saga begins.

I stop the bike, switch off the engine and dismount.  The officer explains that the tail light is out, and asks for my license.  Fortunately I had it on me.  So there I was with dozens of cars passing and the police car behind with the blue lights going.  At this point I heard the officer on the radio getting my address, insurance and other details.  At which point he says the following: "Well everything seems to be in order, but I will be giving you a breathe test to check to see if you have been drinking".  Oh well says I, and off he heads to his patrol car to get the kit.  Somewhat embarrased he comes back to me  to tell me "sorry sir, it seems that I don't have my breathyliser with me, however since I have radioed in that I shall be testing you I have had to ask for another unit to come with the kit.  Though chatting to you it is clear you haven't been drinking" 

Five minutes later a second patrol car pulled up in front of me with its lights going and two more police stepped out.  The officer wandered over to the second car, and came back embarrased.  "Sorry sir, it appears that their breath tester hasn't been calibrated, so I've asked for another unit to bring one".  At this point the third unit (a police van) shows up, also with blue lights going etc. 

Picture the scene, there's me on my small 125cc bike, and three police units with lights going.  Lord only knows what the passing motorists thought was going down.  The breath test took only a couple of minutes to do, then the first officer escorted me home. 

Guess what went in the bike's tool kit that evening?  (I never went anywhere without spare bulbs after that.)
it's ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! IT'S.......oh bugger it's coming right for me..." Baron Von Frankenstein.