General Etiquette > Life...in general

Giving out a phone number without permission.

<< < (2/10) > >>

Lynn2000:
Generally I think it's best not to give out a third party's contact information, but as PP said there are times when most people would say it was perfectly okay, like passing a new phone number on to relatives or mutual friends. For some people the "of course it's okay" zone is bigger than with other people and for some it's smaller; I think it's hard to make a rule about it because there could be so many exceptions.

So I would say, when in doubt, don't pass it on. If you find someone who is too loose with your contact info, asking them to stop is completely polite; they may not be rude so much as they just have a different comfort zone than you. If they don't stop after you ask, they are definitely rude.

Surianne:
Depends on the context for me.  I've had people pass on my phone number in ways that were very helpful before. 

MOM21SON:
I think a "do not give my number out to anyone."  was very clear.

Surianne:

--- Quote from: MOM21SON on March 26, 2013, 03:56:21 PM ---I think a "do not give my number out to anyone."  was very clear.

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, you've totally lost me here.  I reread your first post and am not seeing anything about telling the person not to give out your number.  Are you saying you said that?  If so that's a very different question.

MOM21SON:

--- Quote from: Surianne on March 26, 2013, 04:04:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: MOM21SON on March 26, 2013, 03:56:21 PM ---I think a "do not give my number out to anyone."  was very clear.

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, you've totally lost me here.  I reread your first post and am not seeing anything about telling the person not to give out your number.  Are you saying you said that?  If so that's a very different question.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I said that. 

But, when I am asked for someones number, I always take their number instead and give that to the person.  I would never just give someones number.  There are many reasons that people may not want their number given.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version