Author Topic: Would you be a child again?  (Read 3875 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Would you be a child again?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
ladyknight1 -- you posted while I was typing my previous post.

She was a SAHM, but that meant soap operas and house cleaning took the priority, not time with her daughters. So, no, I would not go back. (O/T I was astonished to learn working moms today spend more quality time with their children than SAHM's of the the 60's and 70's, cured my guilt forever.)

WOW! What a difference in our upbringing! Even though it's still in the same time frame.

Lynn2000 -- thanks for bringing up this extremely interesting topic! ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »

Not forever, but for a little while, sure. I would hope my brother could come back in time, too, since most of our childhood was hanging out together. I can only imagine the havoc we could wreak together in childhood 2.0. Maybe to somewhere between 5 and 13 years old? Even a little older could be fun. Absolutley i would.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »
I wouldn't become a kid "now", because school is done so much differently.  I wouldn't mind going back in time, though, with the mind I currently have.  It would be fun to see the looks on my old teachers' faces if I suddenly started acing subjects that previously gave me trouble.  >:D 

Also, things that I took for granted (fishing trips, family get-togethers...Blockbuster Video!  :'() would be that much more enjoyable, because I would know that they would not last forever.  Of course, I would probably end up overstepping my bounds by accurately accusing an aunt (who always treated me like I was some kind of heathen) of being mean to my brother and I because she didn't like my mother.  They get along okay now, but I remember barbs that sailed right over my head as a kid, and think to myself, "Dang...burn!"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
It's funny to see the different perceptions of life back when they were a kid and life today.  :)  I certainly agree that today's kids aren't allowed to roam as free (even though things are actually safer)... CPS gets called if kids are allowed to *gasp* actually walk around their neighborhood nowadays!

At the same time, I sort of envy my kids.  I would have loved to be homeschooled as a kid.  They get to spend so much time playing together, making forts, having adventures.  Yesterday my daughter was rescuing babies from ancient Egypt (time of Moses) to take (said in the most dramatic voice you can imagine), "2000 years into the future, to America in the year 2013 A.D., when they could be safe!"  It was hilarious.  Okay, her grasp on the timeline of ancient Egypt is a bit weak, but she'll get there.  I would have enjoyed getting to learn at my own pace.  I remember spending one class in elementary school copying an overhead.  The teacher would put an outline on the overhead projector, and we were to take out our paper and copy it down.  Then wait while everybody else in the class finished.  Then copy the next one.  This was how I learned history as an elementary school student.  (Fortunately, he didn't care if you read a book after you finished the current page while you waited for him to change it.  Otherwise I would have gone insane.)  I would also have really enjoyed my time with other kids being social time with fun and activities, the way my kids' is, instead of just schooltime when you were to sit down and be quiet.  Of course, they probably envy me for getting to go to school and see other kids every day (instead of just 2-3 days a week) and getting to ride on the big yellow school bus!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
Heck no!  I had a fairly decent childhood, some minor traumas, nothing too horrible.  Still would never want to go through it again.  Being shy, quiet and bookish in a neighborhood where outgoing, loud, and outdoor loving was the norm is hard. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 09:44:54 PM »
No. I had an unhappy childhood and would not want to repeat it. Once was enough. :)

On a positive note, I learned a lot of valuable life lessons as a result of my childhood, and am a better person for it. I am far happier, well-adjusted, and more emotionally stable now than when I was a child.

My life is not perfect, but I would not want to redo a single day, because I consider each day a learning experience. I'm at peace with my past and use it as a catalyst to build a better future.

"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Nope. I wouldn't go back to high school either. I had a pretty good childhood, not perfect but my parents loved me and did their best. I did well in school, had plenty of friends, teachers liked me.

Everyone said I was an "old soul". I never wanted to hang out with other kids. I'd rather sit at the table and listen to the adults talk. From about the age of 11, maybe younger, I'd look out my bedroom window and wonder "Where is my husband? How long will I have to wait for him?" As it turned out he lived less than a mile away in the very direction I was looking and I had already met him, though I didn't "see" him until 9th grade (he was older and we had different groups of friends).  ;)

The day I graduated high school felt like finally being born. The day I turned 30 felt like finally becoming an adult. I wouldn't give this up for anything!!

suzieQ

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14:52 PM »
Absolutely not. Too many traumas in my childhood that affected me for far too long into my adult life.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:19:30 PM by suzieQ »
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »
No way.  The youngest I'd ever want to be again is 20.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »
no no no no no.

I had a perfectly normal childhood, with fairly normal and nice parents.  But I remember the shadow of "Getting in trouble" hanging over my head.  Even if I hadn't done anything recently.  My mother is a fussbudget and was often fussing about this or that.  I remember feeling so liberated when I realized I was safe in my own home.  I could do whatever I wanted, and no one would hassle me. 

I was also shy and had no self-confidence.  School was boring...Now I live with my best friend and husband and my daughter is an angel.   

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »
No. I had a highly restricted childhood that quickly evolved into the alternate caretaker for younger siblings. Weekends had to be played to moms plans, dads plans and the fact that each parent hated the others guts. Not fun, I'd never go back to that or wish it one an enemy.

Allyson

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 02:52:42 AM »
No, I'd say not. It always felt like everything crappy that happened to me back then was out of my control entirely. Whereas now, even if I can't necessarily *fix* whatever is wrong, there's a lot more sense that I can do something, at least.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
Nah, I'd rather not.  The early years weren't too bad, but I think once we moved in 86 to where my parents and brother live now, I wasn't terribly happy.   From 2nd grade till 8th, I got bullied frequently, with 6-8th grades being the worst.  I'd really prefer not to relive that.   I'm glad that these days bullying is taken more seriously.  I know it still happens, but schools don't brush it off as "just kids being kids" or tell the victim to "just ignore them."

If I could go back with different parents and living in a different area? Perhaps, but on the other hand it might change where I am now, which I like. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

DaisyG

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
No - too much trauma from my FOO and at school I had no confidence or self-esteem which lead to me putting myself into bad situations. I now have a good job and a wonderful husband and both have really helped me improve my confidence and self-esteem.

misha412

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
I have some fond memories of part of my childhood. If I could escape for a day or two to those particular days, then yes, I woudl love to be a child again.

For the most part, though, no. I came from a dysfunctional family and would not want to repeat the ongoing issues and traumas of that time.