Author Topic: Would you be a child again?  (Read 3649 times)

daen

Re: Would you be a child again?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »
Childhood had its moments. I enjoyed free-ranging over the family farm. I had a lot fewer responsibilities. Answers were pretty black and white. I did well in school and mostly enjoyed it.

On the other hand... I had episodes of mild-to-moderate depression throughout my childhood. I first felt that I fit in with my peer group at age nineteen. I was bullied from time to time.

I'm happier now than I ever have been, in spite of a few issues and uncertainties, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. An afternoon of sunlit play in the sandbox or the opportunity to read all day without any responsibilities has its appeal, but if I need that, I can arrange it. There's a reason why I schedule one or two days of "do nothing until I'm tired of it" on my vacations...

Coralreef

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »
No, I would not go back to being a child or even a teen.  I would go back to my 20's with the knowledge I have now.  At the time, Microsoft and Apple were penny stocks (or close enough to being so)  ;) .

[/right

magicdomino

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
If I could have the brain with all the knowledge I have now, yes, I would go back and start from childhood again.

This. Otherwise, no. while I didn't have a miserable childhood, I was shy, quiet, didn't have a lot of friends and was picked on all the time. No way I'd go back and relive all that agian.

Sounds like my childhood.  I may have to pay bills now, but I can stay up late and eat cereal for dinner anytime I want.  Work isn't any more annoying than school was, and honestly I get along better with my current co-workers than I did with the kids in school.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
It always bothers me when people tell teenagers and college students that, 'these are the best years of your life'.

They aren't.

The best years of your life come later.  They come when you have responsibilities but also have some degree of independence.
  They come when you have a decent job and a little money.
 They come when you can read whatever you want. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
If I could be 20 again and know what I know now...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 11:57:01 AM »
Nah, I'd rather not.  The early years weren't too bad, but I think once we moved in 86 to where my parents and brother live now, I wasn't terribly happy.   From 2nd grade till 8th, I got bullied frequently, with 6-8th grades being the worst.  I'd really prefer not to relive that.   I'm glad that these days bullying is taken more seriously.  I know it still happens, but schools don't brush it off as "just kids being kids" or tell the victim to "just ignore them."

If I could go back with different parents and living in a different area? Perhaps, but on the other hand it might change where I am now, which I like. :)

Yup. this was me too, although for me it was grades 4-6 - I was miserable back then. And while I'm a bit older than you are; for me it was 10 years earlier, same thing. while I look back and think, yeah I was bullied, back then, i think bullying was looked more like physical stuff than being taunted and teased like it is now.

People look at me funny when I say jr. high was slightly better (6-9) since I had some friends. They don't believe me when I say I really did not have many if any friends in my younger years.

But I also wonder like you do, would I have done anything differently, given the chance for a "do over"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
As others have said, if I could go back with the knowledge I've gained? Well I won't lie, it would be nice to feel like I could stand up to bullies and not care if someone told me I wasn't being "nice" by standing up for myself. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
I had no say in anything as a child or teenager. I wish I had been given the opportunity to work at a summer camp when I was a teenager or volunteer at our zoo over the summer break. My parents don't believe volunteering is important, and I would have missed the four family reunions held every summer in July, so I didn't get to. When I graduated high school and had to make my own choices, it was a very difficult shift, as I had no world view or boundaries.

While I don't dwell on my less than pleasant childhood often, when I remember things that bothered me, I try to turn that into a positive experience for my family and my son in particular. DH and I let DS (14) work as a camp counselor in training for 3 weeks last summer, and we go on two non-family visiting trips for every family trip. We stay in hotels when we travel and don't always sleep on someones floor on a pallet. DS (will be 15) is going to work as a camp counselor for 4 weeks this summer, have a family trip, and go to a special camp. He made those choices.  :D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
As others have said, if I could go back with the knowledge I've gained? Well I won't lie, it would be nice to feel like I could stand up to bullies and not care if someone told me I wasn't being "nice" by standing up for myself.

Me too. I am now VERY outspoken, sometimes to a fault, and one of my friends told me this, which I took as a compliment "I've never known you not to speak your mind!"  As a youngster I was so painfully shy it was hard to even say hello to someone.

workerbee

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
I would. Mostly because I'd like to have that feeling of security that I had as a kid. I never worried about bills, or meals, or retirement planning, or any of those other "stamps" of adulthood. Maybe I just got lucky with my parents, but I always felt like there was someone taking care of me.

As a mom, wife, and employee, I spend the majority of my time taking care of other people and I often miss feeling 'taken care of.' It's not a knock on my husband or family at all - they do their best! Still, I happened to be sick recently when my mom was visiting and it felt so good that she knew exactly what to do, what to make for me to eat, what kind of attention to give.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
There are some things about my childhood I kind of wish my kids experienced-Euclid Beach Park (well-known amusement park in Cleveland), horseback riding camp, day camp each summer.  But all of those were marred in some way or another, and the times in general had an unpopular war, racial trouble, assassination, and political turmoil.  So while I miss the goodness of a frozen custard, for instance, in general life was harder for people who were "different" and I wouldn't go back.

MOM21SON

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
Yes, with a totally different family.  I had a horrible childhood and do not care to repeat it.  The physical and emotional scars remind me everyday. 

But, I certainly would love to be a child again with a loving functional family.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
I would. Mostly because I'd like to have that feeling of security that I had as a kid. I never worried about bills, or meals, or retirement planning, or any of those other "stamps" of adulthood. Maybe I just got lucky with my parents, but I always felt like there was someone taking care of me.

As a mom, wife, and employee, I spend the majority of my time taking care of other people and I often miss feeling 'taken care of.' It's not a knock on my husband or family at all - they do their best! Still, I happened to be sick recently when my mom was visiting and it felt so good that she knew exactly what to do, what to make for me to eat, what kind of attention to give.

Except for the last sentence, this is me.  I'd love to go back, especially during summer vacation when I spent my time wandering around town with my friends and not worrying about anything of consequence.

Oh, to be a child again for just one week!
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

jmarvellous

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
You know, there are a few stellar memories of my life, including my childhood, that I wouldn't mind reliving so I could have fresh, clear memories of them.

But returning to my actual childhood for more than a few hours without the benefit of maturity and hindsight? No way! I was shy, nervous, stressed and in a high-pressure, high-stress environment that I just couldn't handle. As my fiance once said, all I want to do is go back in time and give that little girl lots of hugs and tell her it gets better. And she deserves it, too.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
I wouldn't want to be a child again and especially not a teenager. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.