Author Topic: Would you be a child again?  (Read 3161 times)

Bottlecaps

Re: Would you be a child again?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »
Yes and no. If I were to go back, it's possible that I would do things differently to avoid some of the pain that I had in the past few years, and if that were the case then it's quite possible I wouldn't have found Mr. Bottlecaps. As rough as life is sometimes, I wouldn't trade having found him for anything (especially given the fact that I had to go through hell to find this wonderful man). I also wouldn't really want to relive my teenage years, but that's a whole other story. Generally speaking I guess there are certain memories I would want to relive and others that I would rather not relive.

On the other hand, I do miss being pretty carefree, like I was as a small child. I also miss my grandparents, as they were the people who primarily raised me. Oh, what I wouldn't give to eat a bowl of Coco Wheats for breakfast then curl up on my Grandma's lap to watch "The Golden Girls" reruns again, or ride with my Pappaw to pick my mother up at work late at night, and get a chicken salad sub from Sheetz with a bottle of Mountain Dew. (Yes, my Pappaw gave a four-year-old Mountain Dew at 11:00 PM - LOL! And then they always wondered why I turned out to be a nightowl!) :-P
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
Yes, with a totally different family.  I had a horrible childhood and do not care to repeat it.  The physical and emotional scars remind me everyday. 

But, I certainly would love to be a child again with a loving functional family.

If I could keep my brother and grandparents...come to think of it, I would have liked to have been raised by my paternal grandparents, as I think they played a large part of who I am today. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

rachellenore

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
My childhood was fine, my parents were good to me and I didn't have any traumas. But I was a very shy child and lacked confidence, so no, I'd never do that again.

Zen

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 12:00:45 AM »
No. Absolutely not.
I had a miserable, high stress, abusive, mostly friendless childhood. To become a functioning adult, I had to learn a lot of things that are precious to me.
I'm a child in my brain anyway.

CakeEater

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 04:08:18 AM »
I want to say that I would like to go back. I, even at the time, recognised that I was really good at being a kid. I was bright and good at most things, and a bit of a teacher's pet, but mostly got on with people, and had a couple of good friends, had a mostly great family.

I was actually really nervous about being an adult, because I didn't know if I'd be as good at it as I was at being a kid. And while I didn't hav that free-range lifestyle others are talking about, I mostly enjoyed the structure, so it was fine.

But I really like the ability to run my life and my timetable the way that suits me as an adult, and I don't think I would choose to go back. If I had to go back, it would be fine, but I wouldn't choose it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 08:37:45 AM »
Honestly I like my adult privileges quite a bit.  And I'm young at heart so I still enjoy some things I did as a kid like dressing up to take my kids trick-or-treating, and playing with them at the beach, but I can also things as an adult, too. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Margo

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »
Absolutely not. I loved, and love, my parents and siblings, and it would be lovely to see my grandparetns again, but no. Even when I wasn't being bullied, the restrictions of being a child woudl be incredibly frustrating.

If I could go back to being 25, then mayyyybe I'd be tempted. But nothing before then. And that mostly only because I had more energy and if I had the chance again i might take a few more chances with relationships and such like.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
Absolutely not!  My dad was in the Air Force when I was growing up. I was a very shy child and it was sheer torture having to always be the new kid in school with no friends.  My teenage years weren't much fun either.  My mother got a job and I became the almost full time babysitter for my youngest sister.  I also had to watch the fighting and destruction of my parent's marriage.

No, I'm much happier as an adult, thank you very much!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:15 PM »
Only if I could go back with all my memories and maturity from now intact.  Think of how good my grades would be!   ;D

Lynn2000

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 05:07:44 PM »
Only if I could go back with all my memories and maturity from now intact.  Think of how good my grades would be!   ;D

OP here. Thanks for all the great responses! It has been really enlightening.

zyrs made me remember that I often have odd dreams where I'm a child again at school, only I'm more or less "me now" trapped in my child's body. Not fun at all! Stuff like phonics and handwriting was boring enough the first time around for me, trying to do it with a 30+yrs brain while faking being 7 is just painful... :)
~Lynn2000

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »
I agree, OP. This is a very enlightening thread.

I originally said "Yes, if I could go back to the time-frame when I was a child."

I'll stick with that but amend it to say . . . Only if I could stop being a child again before my teenage angst years.

Does anybody remember "Twilight Zone: The Movie?"

The second segment "Kick the Can" with Scatman Crothers is a very poignant tale of exactly what everybody on this thread is describing.

It's been years since I've seen it. I'd like to watch it again, but this thread reminded me of that segment of the movie.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
Only if I got to be a child in the continental US of A.
I have pet mice!

AtraBecca

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
Not in a million years... I had some traumatic experiences at school. Being an adult is SO much easier. Like I said to my mom.... "If someone treated me at work the way I was treated at school, I'd quit! Or talk to HR. Or the police..."

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
Only if I got to be a child in the continental US of A.

Curious -- where did you spend your childhood years?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
I decided today that I wouldn't mind being a child again if it meant being able to attend Hogwarts. ;)