Author Topic: Do You Agree With These Quotes About Silence/Responding?  (Read 1057 times)

JoieDeVivre

Do You Agree With These Quotes About Silence/Responding?
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »
I heard this quote somewhere, and one of my friends thinks that it's great advice. I'm wondering what you all think of it.

"When one does not know what to say, it is a time for silence."

Also, what do you think about this other quote? I formed this second quote from the first:

"If you don't know what to do, it is best to do nothing until you figure it out."

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Do You Agree With These Quotes About Silence/Responding?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
for the first -  not always. for example, if someone makes a sexist/racist remark, i may not know *what* to say, but I will respond in some way (otherwise it may appear as if i agree with the remark), such as "that's not cool" or "please don't talk like that in front of me".

the second -probably not.

if you are referring to your other thread on entering the workplace, then: no. if you are new to a job and you don't know what to do, then you speak up. or if you are new to a college, a house of worship, a volunteer job, first time you are flying somewhere - then ask. there is nothing wrong with asking. when you do "nothing" you are actually making a choice, you are doing "something", it just happens to be that the "thing" you are doing is refraining from action (I hope this makes sense). and like with your first "rule" - sometimes keeping silent or doing nothing is "doing something".

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools