Author Topic: Keeping books vs letting them go  (Read 1704 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Keeping books vs letting them go
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »
I have a set of shelves on one wall of my spare bedroom.  When they are full, I'll have to purge more vigorously but right now, my rules are:  Keep series together; keep books I'm liable to reread; keep books that are signed or inscribed or are somehow special in some way.  Everything else, I donate and/or give away.

I do have a Kindle, now, but I still buy books.  If I can buy the paperback more cheaply than I can buy the electronic version, I'm buying the paperback.  And since I buy books at Costco and at my local book store when they have a buy 3 get 1 free deal going, they are often a lot cheaper than the electronic version.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »
My neighborhood is dangerous.  People often put out boxes of books on thesidewalk with a sign along the lines of, 'Free To A Good Home'. That means you can go out to buy a container or milk and come home with a container of milk and three books.  Because many people in our neighborhood are avid readers or work as reviewers the selection of free-range books can be wonderful.

Some I read and keep.  Some I read and toss.  Some I read and sell. Some I read and put back out in a 'Free to a good home' box. Mr. Thipu does the same.

When I was young, every book that came into my home was treasured.  That isn't the case now.  It may sound terrible but books can be  like people you meet.

Some are treasures you encounter and know you want to keep.  Some are of passing interest. You read them and learn from them  but you don't really want to keep them.  Some books you don't
 really enjoy but you keep  them because they work well with other books and  might be of use in the future. Some books are just fun to have around the house.

A library is very much like a group of friends. Some come, some go and there are a few you love forever.       

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:44:57 PM by Thipu1 »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »
My neighborhood is dangerous.  People often put out boxes of books on thesidewalk with a sign along the lines of, 'Free To A Good Home'. That means you can go out to buy a container or milk and come home with a container of milk and three books.  Because many people in our neighborhood are avid readers or work as reviewers the selection of free-range books can be wonderful.

Some I read and keep.  Some I read and toss.  Some I read and sell. Some I read and put back out in a 'Free to a good home' box. Mr. Thipu does the same.

When I was young, every book that came into my home was treasured.  That isn't the case now.  It may sound terrible but books can be  like people you meet.

Some are treasures you encounter and know you want to keep.  Some are of passing interest. You read them and learn from them  but you don't really want to keep them.  Some books you don't
 really enjoy but you keep  them because they work well with other books and  might be of use in the future. Some books are just fun to have around the house.

A library is very much like a group of friends. Some come, some go and there are a few you love forever.       

I love this analogy! I used to beg my dad to go to the library as a kid, like other kids begged to go to the park!  And some books I'd take out over and over and read and re-read, others, once was enough.

And a side note; i'm 47 and just bought a bunch of the Ramona books, and Cherry Ames nurse books - they were Kindle deals recently.

learningtofly

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
Love the quilting series from Jennifer Chiaverini.  Borrowed them all from the library.  We have no storage.  Books I really treasure are stored. Ones I didn't have room for I donated to the library.  They sell books twice a year. I buy books, read them, and donate them back for sale  :)

Library Dragon

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »
There are some I keep.  Some I donate to the Friends if the Library book sale. 

I have a growing collection of autographed books.  I'm trying to be good and not keep them all.  But...If you touch my Tomie de Paola books you may loose a hand.  Yes, that is a photo of me with George R.R. Martin. Over here is Rick Riordan.  What do I let go of????  :'(

I joke that library conventions are like cr@ck conventions.  You walk the hall and publishers hand you books.  I'm an addict and they feed my addiction. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
I'm a huge rereader and rewatcher. Which is why amazon loves me. I used to reread books till they fell apart - rebuy them and read them till they fell apart. Dad always wanted me to buy hardbacks because he thought they would last longer so cost less*. So he would love my digital books.

*Hardback books don't work for me for 2 reasons. THey hurt my hands (combo - skin condition/raw skin and lack of strength/motor skills.) They tend to have whiter paper and black type on stark white paper = words floating off the page due to dyslexia.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 03:20:08 AM »
I'm a huge rereader and rewatcher. Which is why amazon loves me. I used to reread books till they fell apart - rebuy them and read them till they fell apart. Dad always wanted me to buy hardbacks because he thought they would last longer so cost less*. So he would love my digital books.

*Hardback books don't work for me for 2 reasons. THey hurt my hands (combo - skin condition/raw skin and lack of strength/motor skills.) They tend to have whiter paper and black type on stark white paper = words floating off the page due to dyslexia.

I don't like hardbacks either, but it's mostly the size.  I like to curl up in bed and read without my glasses on, and mass market paperbacks are just about the right focal distance away without giving my face papercuts.  (Yes, I'm that nearsighted, and yes, I've done that.)  Anything with larger pages means I have to sit up and actually put my glasses back on  :P

When I first started reading romance novels, I told DH I'd fill up the cute little bookshelf I was using as a nightstand and that would be it - when I got too many, I'd take them to the used bookstore and trade them in 2-for-1 for something else.  Then it got to be "I'll fill up the bookshelf and this box in the closet."  Now it's "I'll fill up the bookshelf, both drawers in YOUR nightstand, the box in the closet, a stack next to the bed, and two or three shelves up in my study."  That's just romance, mind you - the science fiction, mystery, and assorted nonfiction is elsewhere  :P  Not my fault, though - now that I'm a writer myself and hanging around with other writers, people keep giving me free books!

(Not like DH can talk - he sorts his books into science/computer textbooks, Eastern philosophy, and classic science fiction.  And he refuses to get rid of any of his college textbooks, because he thinks he might want to look things up someday.)

It may not surprise you to hear that we have a lot of books in our house.

Verloona Ti

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:41 AM »
I do have a kindle and an android, I prefer the android's book layout.

I still buy books as I find that reading a  book on an electronic devise just does not work for me. I wish it did, but it doesn't : When I read a screen instead of  a printed page, I find myself skimming, I do not visualize , and I do not retain near as much as from a real book. I like the *idea* of e readers, but for me , they are only good for books unobtainable in print form.

I  prefer hardbounds, don't mind trade paperbacks, will settle for a mass market paperback only if the book cannot be found in any other format, or is ridiculously unaffordable. I find with mass markets, there isn't enough margin, and the spine has to be broken and bent to see the text that is running down into the crease. UK mass markets are bigger and better than USA ones, though perhaps that has changed in recent years.

I have disposed of too many books that I then wound up re buying, so I am very reluctant to part with a book. When I do part with books, I mostly just donate them, unless they are in bad shape -those I toss.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »
Since I had to get rid of a lot of books a few years ago I have refrained from buying many new ones.

I kept all but three of the "coffee table" books, which went to a friend.  I donated about 4,000 paperbacks to my local library and to Goodwill.  I don't get many magazines and now I only keep Food Network's magazine and the March and September issues of Vogue.

The rule I have about books is that I keep it if I think I will read it again, or if it is a collectible.  I will give away stuff I don't think I will read again.

I don't yet own an e-reader.  That will wait for a paycheck. 

I also have trouble with most hard-covers.  The size, weight, and the way they need to be handled make them impractical for carrying around and reading on the subway.  Their size also makes them impractical for apartment dwellers.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
DH and I are both bookworms, so when we married and combined our book collections it was pretty overwhelming. Plus, since we often have similar tastes, it meant we had a lot of duplicates. Also, early in our marriage traveling book stores were popular; they would pop up for a limited time (2 or 3 months, usually), sell off whatever books they had super cheap and then shut down. We'd spend $50 and come out with a big ol' box of books. It got to the point where our itty bitty house was getting overrun with books. So, we gave away/donated a bunch of books, put a lot more up in the attic (who knows what's up there after all these years??) and started using the library.

We agreed we would no longer buy books unless we had first gotten it from the library and knew that it was one we really wanted to own. There are exceptions, of course, but it's cut down on our book buying by probably 85-90%. I still go through mine periodically and donate some to the library every year. But ones that aren't special or that I know I'll never read again? Those have to go.

So we still probably have too many books, but it's helped tame the beast somewhat, anyway.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Elisabunny

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »

I don't like hardbacks either, but it's mostly the size.  I like to curl up in bed and read without my glasses on, and mass market paperbacks are just about the right focal distance away without giving my face papercuts.  (Yes, I'm that nearsighted, and yes, I've done that.)  Anything with larger pages means I have to sit up and actually put my glasses back on  :P

When I first started reading romance novels, I told DH I'd fill up the cute little bookshelf I was using as a nightstand and that would be it - when I got too many, I'd take them to the used bookstore and trade them in 2-for-1 for something else.  Then it got to be "I'll fill up the bookshelf and this box in the closet."  Now it's "I'll fill up the bookshelf, both drawers in YOUR nightstand, the box in the closet, a stack next to the bed, and two or three shelves up in my study."  That's just romance, mind you - the science fiction, mystery, and assorted nonfiction is elsewhere  :P  Not my fault, though - now that I'm a writer myself and hanging around with other writers, people keep giving me free books!

(Not like DH can talk - he sorts his books into science/computer textbooks, Eastern philosophy, and classic science fiction.  And he refuses to get rid of any of his college textbooks, because he thinks he might want to look things up someday.)

It may not surprise you to hear that we have a lot of books in our house.

I have a rather large number of romance novels piled up behind my bedroom door.  Fortunately for Mr. Bunny's sanity and eye-rolling muscles, I now only buy them for my Kindle. :D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
I keep anything I will re-read, anything part of a series that I will re-read any part of, and anything sentimental. Other stuff gets purged and taken to Half-Price Books on a semi-annual basis. I started purging seriously when I was moving to a new house and have kept up the habit since then. My philosophy is that I should be able to walk into my library and pick up anything on the shelves to re-read, not put it back and think "yuck, not that one."

SheltieMom

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 11:38:45 PM »
We just keep building new bookshelves ;D

My husband and I (and all 3 of our kids, although 2 are married, and the 3rd is in college, so none are home now)are seriously compulsive readers. There are books that we will part with, but we do reread books. That's a good thing, because we couldn't afford to buy even used books again. I'm currently reading the Larry Niven "Known Space" books (thanks to an e-hellion who mentioned Ringworld in another thread). I have about 800 children's books, and I estimate there are close to 4000 books in our house. Yes, we live in a library.

BTW, I love Jennifer Chiaverini. I have all her books, and have read all except the latest one at least twice. I'm currently working on my second quilt from one of her patterns.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59:54 AM »
Almost all of the books in my tiny apartment are ones I haven't read (yet), or what I consider to be reference books that I keep to look something up in. I have started collecting some favorite children's books (like picture books), which I intend to keep even though I've read them; that's a bit dangerous. My stacks are embarrassingly high, so I try really hard not to bring any new books home. I guess I'm just a slow reader. I think I've read 7 books so far this year and my mom is on 30 or so.  :P 

If I read a book and want to "keep" it, I send it to my parents' house to be stored in my old bedroom. There's a good chance my mom will be interested in reading it too, which helps me feel better about sending them more stuff.  :P I'm not really into rereading, though; I tend to keep nonfiction more than fiction, in case I want to refer to it, and I keep fiction only if it's really awesome or has some other extenuating circumstance. Basically books have to work it for me to keep them, it's not the default.

If I read a book and didn't really care for it, I'll get rid of it. I'm not very sentimental about books. Generally I save up several and donate them to the library, or ask a couple of friends if they're interested. Someday I would like to have a big house with lots of room for my books. I still wouldn't keep those I had read and didn't care for, but I would have a lot more room for unread books, reference books, and the few favorites I want to keep forever.

My mom has a Kindle and loves it, and keeps suggesting I get one. I'm not ready to make the leap yet. You know how Amazon recently started saying that if you bought a CD from them, you can download the mp3 songs from that CD for free? I want them to do that with books. You bought this book from us seven years ago--so you can have the Kindle version for free! At least that would take care of some of my stack. I just feel silly getting an e-reader, that I would immediately fill with books, when I have all these unread paper books sitting around. I think right now it would just be an invitation to (further) excess.
~Lynn2000

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
I keep my oddball books and my frequently-reread ones.  I do get rid of books, but rarely and usually to Halfprice books. I do have a fair number in my discard box, but might do this instead:
http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/