Author Topic: S/O Tattoo Threads--Spouse Opinions of Tattoos  (Read 1502 times)

Micah

Re: S/O Tattoo Threads--Spouse Opinions of Tattoos
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
My other half dislikes both piercings and tattoos. Doesn't stop me from getting them. I previously had a partner who tried to control every aspect of how I looked. Clothes, piercings, right down to what I weighed. It's my body, if I want to put something in it, or on it, my partner should respect me enough to deal with it.

It works both ways though. I really don't like the way my partner looks with short hair, but when he wants to shave it down to a number two, I do it for him. It's his head.

The only way I'd consider not getting a tattoo would be if it was a symbol he found offensive. I have stopped with the facial piercings too, I think I have enough, lol. There is such a thing as too much metal.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

magician5

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »
Doesn't this go both ways, though?  Should your SO try to avoid offending you "just because he/she loves you"?

At the very least, this thought should prompt both parties into taking the conversation to a different level: "here's why I want it" and "here's why I wouldn't like seeing it" instead of "you can't control me" and "you can't do it".
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 11:51:33 PM »
Doesn't this go both ways, though?  Should your SO try to avoid offending you "just because he/she loves you"?

At the very least, this thought should prompt both parties into taking the conversation to a different level: "here's why I want it" and "here's why I wouldn't like seeing it" instead of "you can't control me" and "you can't do it".

I agree.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Lynnv

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
My first tattoo was long, long, long before I met DH.  Not liking my tattoo=no problem.  Trying to tell me I shouldn't have one or being vocal or annoying about it=big problem.  In DH's case, neither one was an issue.  He likes my tattoos and has since gotten some ink himself. 

DH and I did talk about the design of my more recent ink-but he didn't get any say in whether or not I got one.  If he hated the design and could articulate why, I would have probably considered something different or reworked what I wanted.  But he would never be the final arbiter on whether or not I got one.  Or on design.  If I really loved it and he disliked it, I would still get it. 

He has done the same with each of his.  I like one, don't love the other (though it isn't awful or anything, just not to my taste).  If he were the sort to get something racist or awful tattooed on himself, that would be a different issue (but it also would never come up with us).

I would not have let him, or anyone, talk me out of getting one altogether.

His folks will probably have a full-grown cow if they ever see his (or mine).  But their probable overreaction was not something I took into account when getting mine done.

Edited to fix typo.  D'oh!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:33:09 AM by Lynnv »
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Cami

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
Neither of us would ever say, "You can't" or "Don't do it", we just don't think it's wise to voluntarily change your appearance in a way the other person hates.

At a certain point, people who are more attractive in your spouse's eyes than you are... going to be more attractive than you are to your spouse.

I think that's especially true if the change in your appearance is one that would have been a dealbreaker had you had it when you first started going out.