Author Topic: Where do you keep your butter?  (Read 4878 times)

MOM21SON

Where do you keep your butter?
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
Real butter.  We have 2 butter dishes and when one is low, I put a stick in the clean one so it will be nice and soft for use.  I keep the dish on the counter.  DH insists on putting it in the cabinet on top of the dinner plates.  It drives me CRAZY! 

There can be coffee drippings and dirty dishes all around the kitchen but gosh darnit, he puts the butter in the cupboard, so its not a neatness thing.

Seven Ate Nine

Re: Where do you keep your butter?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »
I keep a stick in a sealed rubbermaid container on my counter.  If someone put it in the cupboard I'd be lost.  It took me a while to break DH of putting it in the fridge, but that's because his mother doesn't use stick butter for bread and such, only for cooking.  She has a tub of margarine for spreading.  Once DH realized that having butter to spread on bread was much nicer than dealing with the stick straight out of the fridge, he got the counter thing really fast  :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
I keep my butter in the refrigerator.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
I used to be a strict 'in the refrigerator' person, but DH insists on having soft/room temperature butter available at all times.  He bought me a beautiful butter dish that we keep on the kitchen counter near the olive oil bottle (another pretty bottle I bought specifically to keep the olive oil in and out on the counter...since I use it all the time).  I'm a neat freak...especially when it comes to clutter on countertops and am very picky about what can be left out.  The butter thing was a big compromise for me...but the pretty dish helped :)

GratefulMaria

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
We are carb-deprived here so don't need butter to be softened unless I'm baking something.  I keep between one and two pounds in the freezer and a current stick in the fridge.  DS1 and DS2 and their GFs do eat bread, etc., though, so I like the idea of a room temp -- counter top, if you please -- storage option.  Has anyone tried a crock like Butter Bell or something?

MOM21SON

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
I used to be a strict 'in the refrigerator' person, but DH insists on having soft/room temperature butter available at all times.  He bought me a beautiful butter dish that we keep on the kitchen counter near the olive oil bottle (another pretty bottle I bought specifically to keep the olive oil in and out on the counter...since I use it all the time).  I'm a neat freak...especially when it comes to clutter on countertops and am very picky about what can be left out.  The butter thing was a big compromise for me...but the pretty dish helped :)

Can you recommend one?  I have looked to no avail, however not in a long time.  If it is not a clear butter dish he will never open it so it will never be put in the cupboard. :P

Lynnv

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
A pound (or two) in the freezer, depending on when the last sale was.  A pound or less, depending on how much has been used since the box got opened, is in the fridge. 

Up to a stick on the counter in a butter dish.  That way it is soft and ready to use when we need it.....oh wait, no.  It is never ready.  There is usually one TINY sliver of butter left when I got to use it since DH used all but that sliver and didn't put out a new stick.   ::)
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »
The rare times I ate bread with butter on it, I like my bread warm.  So, butter stays in the fridge.  Except when I'm baking, then I put the right amount in the KitchenAid hours ahead.
I used to have the Fiesta butter dish, but the lid broke

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
I guess I had a disconnect.  We don't eat butter on a regular basis, so that's why we always keep it in the refrigerator.  I guess if we used it all the time, or at least often enough that it wouldn't go bad sitting out of the refrigerator, I'd put it in a pretty covered butter dish.  The clear glass kind that looks like crystal.  And I'd put it on the counter nearest the toaster.

MOM21SON

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »
We are carb-deprived here so don't need butter to be softened unless I'm baking something.  I keep between one and two pounds in the freezer and a current stick in the fridge.  DS1 and DS2 and their GFs do eat bread, etc., though, so I like the idea of a room temp -- counter top, if you please -- storage option.  Has anyone tried a crock like Butter Bell or something?

The water part kinda puts me off. I am open if someone can explain it better than I understand it.

MOM21SON

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
A pound (or two) in the freezer, depending on when the last sale was.  A pound or less, depending on how much has been used since the box got opened, is in the fridge. 

Up to a stick on the counter in a butter dish.  That way it is soft and ready to use when we need it.....oh wait, no.  It is never ready.  There is usually one TINY sliver of butter left when I got to use it since DH used all but that sliver and didn't put out a new stick.   ::)

HA!  That is why I bought a second dish! 

A few months ago my grocery had it for $2.00 a pound!  HUGE sale.  UMM, the 20 bucks worth of butter is gone.  yeah, we like butter.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
I keep mine in the refrigerator.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
I bake a lot, so I stock up when it's on sale and keep it in the freezer until I need it.  I keep one stick in the butter dish on the counter for daily use.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 05:39:07 PM »

The water part kinda puts me off. I am open if someone can explain it better than I understand it.

I have one, but the only time I used it the weather was extremely warm so the butter slid out of the bowl into the water.  As long as it's not super warm, you use a small amount of water, and that forms a seal so that the bell is airtight.  My sister has one and she loves it.  You change the water every few days to keep it fresh, and unless the butter melts it never touches the water.

MOM21SON

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »

I have one, but the only time I used it the weather was extremely warm so the butter slid out of the bowl into the water.  As long as it's not super warm, you use a small amount of water, and that forms a seal so that the bell is airtight.  My sister has one and she loves it.  You change the water every few days to keep it fresh, and unless the butter melts it never touches the water.

Thanks!  that is why I don't think it would be good for me.  I live in a humid climate.