Author Topic: Where do you keep your butter?  (Read 4910 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Where do you keep your butter?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »
When it is on sale, I buy a lot - usually 6 pounds of salted (for eating) and 6 pounds of unsalted (for baking).  I freeze it until I need it.  I keep a pound or two in the fridge.  Then I cut one pound up into about 5 pieces (doesn't come in sticks here unless I want to pay about double) and put them in little Tupperware containers.  One stays on the counter; the rest I keep in the fridge until the counter one is getting low/empty.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
A pound (or two) in the freezer, depending on when the last sale was.  A pound or less, depending on how much has been used since the box got opened, is in the fridge. 

Up to a stick on the counter in a butter dish.  That way it is soft and ready to use when we need it.....oh wait, no.  It is never ready.  There is usually one TINY sliver of butter left when I got to use it since DH used all but that sliver and didn't put out a new stick.   ::)

HA!  That is why I bought a second dish! 

A few months ago my grocery had it for $2.00 a pound!  HUGE sale.  UMM, the 20 bucks worth of butter is gone.  yeah, we like butter.

I've met my peoples!  We also had it go on sale for that price about the same time.  There are 7 people in this house and we've gone through about 15lbs of butter in the last month.  Buttered bread is sort of like water around here, and then there's my cookie baking habit...

To answer the OP, there's usually a pound or two in the fridge, 10lbs or so in the freezer, and a half pound on two separate butter dishes out.  One dish lives near the toaster and the other lives on the dining room table.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
My home is never less then 75 degrees (I know this because coconut oil is always a liquid in my home), often closer to 80. I would like butter on the counter but would fear it would get way too soft. I keep it in the refrigerator. Before a dinner party or something I only need to take it out about 10-15 minutes in advance for it to soften considerably.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Refrigerator, since I rarely use butter.  Not that you asked the reason ;), but I didn't grow up eatting butter unless it's baked into pastries someone outside my family baked.  Nowadays I like it on potatoes and corn, but those are rare treats due to health reasons.  I like bread/toast plain.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
I used to be a strict 'in the refrigerator' person, but DH insists on having soft/room temperature butter available at all times.  He bought me a beautiful butter dish that we keep on the kitchen counter near the olive oil bottle (another pretty bottle I bought specifically to keep the olive oil in and out on the counter...since I use it all the time).  I'm a neat freak...especially when it comes to clutter on countertops and am very picky about what can be left out.  The butter thing was a big compromise for me...but the pretty dish helped :)

Can you recommend one?  I have looked to no avail, however not in a long time.  If it is not a clear butter dish he will never open it so it will never be put in the cupboard. :P

Mine is a polish pottery one...you can get them on military bases in BX/PXs for sure...I haven't seen them anywhere else except online.  And it's not clear...I would not be able to handle clear, because I woulnd't want to actually see the butter (maybe that's the deal with your DH...)!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
I buy an European butter block and whip it with an unflavored oil to keep It spreadable. I then keep it in the fridge.a

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 07:03:31 PM »
My Costco sells Kerrygold butter so we get two 3-stick (8oz per stick) packs every two weeks and they live in the freezer. We defrost one at a time and keep it in a sealed Tupperware container in the fridge. I didn't realize you could leave real butter out at room temp. Will it last for just a few days? A week? DH and I don't eat bread but the kids do and I know they'd prefer it soft, especially for making grilled cheese!

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Wait...people keep butter out on the counter on a permanent basis? As in it never goes into the refrigerator? I had no idea that was even possible!

I've always got a couple of sticks in the fridge and more in the freezer for later use, as I bake quite a bit.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

mmswm

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »
My Costco sells Kerrygold butter so we get two 3-stick (8oz per stick) packs every two weeks and they live in the freezer. We defrost one at a time and keep it in a sealed Tupperware container in the fridge. I didn't realize you could leave real butter out at room temp. Will it last for just a few days? A week? DH and I don't eat bread but the kids do and I know they'd prefer it soft, especially for making grilled cheese!

A stick of butter isn't likely to last a whole day in this house.  Before I moved back in with my parents, one might last two days, but never any longer than that.  You might find that if soft butter is readily available, the kids will start eating more buttered bread and grilled cheese, so it won't last very long.  How long it will actually stay good, I'm not sure.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Debbie506

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
I'm in Canada, and as we both work we keep our house coolish at 18C during the day in the winter months.  I generally keep a 1/3 Cup of butter (max) in a decorative butter dish on the counter October to March or April for my toast or rolls, but DH is supposed to use low cholesterol spreadable marg (like Becel) so that  stays in the fridge.   Once spring/summer arrives, it gets too warm to keep my butter on the counter,it starts to taste "off", so I try to remember to bring it out of the fridge about 20 minutes before I need it.  I keep the rest of my pound of butter in the fridge, but I am thrilled to hear from all of you that I can freeze extra pounds if it is on sale!  Never even crossed my mind, but you can be sure I will start doing that!  Does  it change the texture or anything I should be aware of? (I don't bake much, most of my butter is spread on bread...)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »
We typically have a stick or two in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer. If it's left out on the counter for very long, it is presumed to have turned and goes in the trash. I might consider leaving it out if we had a butter bell, but we really don't use enough for it to be worth it.

Also, all butter in our house is unsalted.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MOM21SON

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »
I'm in Canada, and as we both work we keep our house coolish at 18C during the day in the winter months.  I generally keep a 1/3 Cup of butter (max) in a decorative butter dish on the counter October to March or April for my toast or rolls, but DH is supposed to use low cholesterol spreadable marg (like Becel) so that  stays in the fridge.   Once spring/summer arrives, it gets too warm to keep my butter on the counter,it starts to taste "off", so I try to remember to bring it out of the fridge about 20 minutes before I need it.  I keep the rest of my pound of butter in the fridge, but I am thrilled to hear from all of you that I can freeze extra pounds if it is on sale!  Never even crossed my mind, but you can be sure I will start doing that!  Does  it change the texture or anything I should be aware of? (I don't bake much, most of my butter is spread on bread...)

Freezing it does not change a thing! 

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
We stock up when it's on sale, and put most of it in the freezer.  There's always a couple of sticks in the fridge, and we've got the Rubbermaid container thing going as well so that we have soft butter if we need it.  We sort of have to, because when we got the cats they discovered that they liked butter a lot more than we did.  The soft butter container is on the microwave.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
Re: freezing:  I do find that some cheap butters are crumbly when I go to cut them into pieces after the pound has been frozen.  But good quality ones?  No issue.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:30 PM »
1 stick in a butter dish during the cooler months and the rest in the freezer.  During the warmer months, we leave it in the fridge and take it out as needed.