Author Topic: Where do you keep your butter?  (Read 5546 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Where do you keep your butter?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 08:11:35 PM »
When it is on sale, I buy a lot - usually 6 pounds of salted (for eating) and 6 pounds of unsalted (for baking).  I freeze it until I need it.  I keep a pound or two in the fridge.  Then I cut one pound up into about 5 pieces (doesn't come in sticks here unless I want to pay about double) and put them in little Tupperware containers.  One stays on the counter; the rest I keep in the fridge until the counter one is getting low/empty.

What are you doing in my kitchen? ;)
My butter is all unsalted.  I will also some organic butter in the fridge too for special dishes.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

MOM21SON

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
To those that asked, you can certainly keep butter out.  I have no idea how long it lasts, ours is always gone before it goes bad.  We use butter everyday.  Well Dh and DS do.  When I want some it is always a sliver left which lead to the second dish.

MOM21SON

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
Re: freezing:  I do find that some cheap butters are crumbly when I go to cut them into pieces after the pound has been frozen.  But good quality ones?  No issue.

I have not had that problem.  Maybe let it soften more?

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:58 PM »
Refrigerator. We usually have at least two or three pounds, since I bake weekly. We buy a spreadable-when-cold butter/olive oil spread for things like toast etc, so we don't really need room-temp butter.

audrey1962

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
The lesson I learned as a child: always cover the butter when you leave it on the counter or else the cats will lick it. Since we didn't have a cover for a time, we put the butter in the cupboard near the plates. Seriously.

Bluenomi

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
Can you not get spreadable butter in the US? I don't know any Aussies who keep butter out of the fridge. Most people have tubs of spreadable butter or marg in the fridge and only use stick butter for cooking which also lives in the fridge.

The weirdest little things are different between countries  ;D

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »
The lesson I learned as a child: always cover the butter when you leave it on the counter or else the cats will lick it. Since we didn't have a cover for a time, we put the butter in the cupboard near the plates. Seriously.

We had a small dog when I was growing up and she would get up on the table and eat a whole stick of butter if it was left out -- I wonder if that's why when I started to live on my own I felt that butter should be in the fridge!

MOM21SON

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »

The cats do love butter!  I have them covered.  DH had no pets growing up so I don't know what he is thinking. 

BTW he also puts peanut butter in the fridge and jelly in the cupboard.  Go figure.

jmarvellous

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Can you not get spreadable butter in the US? I don't know any Aussies who keep butter out of the fridge. Most people have tubs of spreadable butter or marg in the fridge and only use stick butter for cooking which also lives in the fridge.

No, it's pretty common, actually. I'm totally shocked by this keeping butter out on the counter stuff.

We keep a butter dish in the fridge sometimes with soy margarine, but we more often have a tub of the spreadable stuff in the fridge. It takes us months (2-3) to go through a small tub. I rarely bake with butter, so if I have it at all I keep it in the freezer.

Library Dragon

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
I would end up in divorce court if I tried to serve soy margarine.   :D

I have made my own butter-olive oil spread.  The whipped butter that's easier to spread tends to be more expensive.  Not having cats or dogs pets aren't a problem my butter on the counter.  It is used fairly quickly and never goes bad. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Jaelle

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »
Wait...people keep butter out on the counter on a permanent basis? As in it never goes into the refrigerator? I had no idea that was even possible!

I've always got a couple of sticks in the fridge and more in the freezer for later use, as I bake quite a bit.

You're not alone! I'm stunned too. And now I want to try it.  ;)

Ours is in the fridge. We generally only use it for baking, though.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »

Of course you can!  But ounce for ounce its a lot more expensive. Or its not pure butter.

mmswm

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »

My old cat, Booger (RIP) could sniff out uncovered butter from a mile away.  He was a large Maine Coon, so getting into the cabinets was a piece of cake for him.  Butter dishes had to be the plastic ones that snapped shut or he'd bat them onto the floor and nom away.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

amylouky

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 12:49:08 AM »
Wait...people keep butter out on the counter on a permanent basis? As in it never goes into the refrigerator? I had no idea that was even possible!

I've always got a couple of sticks in the fridge and more in the freezer for later use, as I bake quite a bit.

Me too. Not keeping the butter in the fridge has never even been an option for me.
I think having softened butter would make toast eating soooo much more pleasant. I think I have a bit of bread-specific OCD.. whatever is spread on my bread has to be spread more or less evenly, which is hard to accomplish with cold butter.
Does anyone know how long it will last on the counter? We generally keep our house around 68-70.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 01:39:06 AM »

I only use it for baking, too. And I don't think I'll try keeping mine on the counter. Pretty sure the reason I've never seen anyone store butter like that is that I live in southern Arizona and most of the year it would wind up as a puddle in short order.  :)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona