Author Topic: Where do you keep your butter?  (Read 5249 times)

Zen

Re: Where do you keep your butter?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »
We have about six pounds of unsalted in the freezer, and a pound in the fridge. We put a tablespoon or so out on the counter in a covered butter thing, and rotate it out every couple of days. If left longer, it goes bad. If we use salted, it gathers water out of the air (we also have to store the salt carefully, if left out of a sealed bag it gets too moist to use). If we leave it uncovered it attracts geckos and bugs (maybe the bugs are why I've found a gecko in the butter twice?). We live in a high humidity, always warm area of Hawaii.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 02:58:24 AM »
The more hot and humid it is, the quicker your butter will go bad.  There are spreadable butters here in the US and lots of people buy them.  I like the taste of pure unsalted butter, I just don't like the mix of oil and butter.

Using a crock or a butter dish that uses water as a seal helps the butter to stay fresh longer

crella

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 04:08:32 AM »
In the fridge. Summers are hot here, and we had cats for almost 20 years, so it's just a habit to keep it there.  In the morning I soften up as much as we'll need in the microwave, 10-20 seconds is enough. Not enough to melt it, just soften it up.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 04:09:36 AM »
The Lakeland insulated butter dish keeps my butter soft in the winter and solid in the summer.

LTrew

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:39 AM »
I bought a beautiful butter bell from Germany, but it was a bit too big for us so I've put it up and just buy spreadable Lurpak which stays in the fridge.  Maybe when my boys are bigger and start eating us out of house and home the butter bell will come back.

Margo

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »
How long it keeps will depend on the temp of your house. Most butter dishes I've come across are designed to keep the butter cooler than it would be it t were just sitting out, but less cold than a fridge. I have one like this http://www.henrywatson.com/retail-shop/collections/original-suffolk-terracotta/original-suffolk-terracotta-butter-box

In very hot weather I sit it on a plate in a little water, which 'wicks' up through the unglazed terracotta and keeps the dish a little cooler.

Before refridgerators were common, things such as butter and cheese would typically be kept in the pantry, which was generally cooler than the rest of the house. i don't currently have a pantry but my grandmother did, an she would always keep cheese and butter in the pantry, not the fridge, as they tasted better and (in the case of the butter) it's easier to spread.

We can get spreadable butter here but it does not taste quite the same as 'real' butter, so I still prefer the solid kind,and keeping a small quantity out means I have it available to spread on bread or toast when I want it. as long as it is kept covered it lasts a couple of weeks with no problems.

oogyda

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:22 AM »
This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend way back when.

She was horrified that I kept my "butter" out on the cupboard. 

Me: It's margarine, so it doesn't matter.  I keep the real butter in the fridge.
Her: That doesn't matter, it can still go bad.
Me:  Where do you keep your cooking oil?
Her: In the cupboard.
Me: Does it go bad?
Her: No. It's vegetable oil.
Me: That's what margarine is.  I suppose it could go bad after a good long time, but it doesn't last that long.

Then we checked the label on the margarine. 

Nowadays, it depends.  I use butter primarily for cooking, but have about 1/4 pound out and softened when kids and grandkids are here. 

I am going to get a butter bell as soon as I remember to stop at this one store when I go by when it's open. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

LibraryLady

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »
We keep our butter out on the counter by the toaster (west Texas).  The house will get up to 80 deg. F in the winter and of low 60s in the winter.  Like others who posted, butter was kept in the pantry or maybe ice box (old fashioned refrigerator that had a block of ice in it for coolness) - I can remember my granny talking about it.  Granny was born in in 1885 and at 95. 

Aunt Hattie - Granny's sister- would make a pound cake out of old butter.   You would leave the butter in the bowl, covered with a plate out for 2-3-4 weeks. TNow this was home=made butter from Aunt Ila's cow Dawn.   It would give the cake a distinct flavor.  I have the recipe if anyone wants it.

In today's homes, butter will not go rancid in a day or two.  It would have to left out, in an un-airconditioned home for quite a long time before it goes "bad" and even then if you used it for baking, it probably would not make you ill.

AnnaJ

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
A butter bell, and heat really isn't an issue.   I live in a place where it's 100 degrees plus for four months of the year - yes, we have air conditioning but there are limits to how cool you can keep the house - and the bell works fine.  We just put fresh, cool water in it every morning in the summer and it keeps butter for up to three days; it might last longer, but that's the longest we've had a stick of butter last.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »
I always keep my sticks of butter in the fridge. It's a habit from when I lived in FL. I still keep my flour in the freezer, too. In FL the heat and humidity made proper food storage necessary. Now I'm in NJ, but still doing things the same way.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
I keep a single stick on the counter in a ceramic butter dish. We go through about a stick every week or so for GP. I've never had an issue with it going rancid, but make doubly sure to keep it on the counter furthest from the oven. During the summer, the butter dish sometimes goes in the cupboard, just to keep it cooler. Additional butter is stored in the fridge for use in baking or cooking.

I did try a butter bell once. Loved the idea, hated that I needed to remember to change the water every other day.
Utah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend way back when.

She was horrified that I kept my "butter" out on the cupboard. 

Me: It's margarine, so it doesn't matter.  I keep the real butter in the fridge.
Her: That doesn't matter, it can still go bad.
Me:  Where do you keep your cooking oil?
Her: In the cupboard.
Me: Does it go bad?
Her: No. It's vegetable oil.
Me: That's what margarine is.  I suppose it could go bad after a good long time, but it doesn't last that long.

Then we checked the label on the margarine. 

Nowadays, it depends.  I use butter primarily for cooking, but have about 1/4 pound out and softened when kids and grandkids are here. 

I am going to get a butter bell as soon as I remember to stop at this one store when I go by when it's open.

When margarine was made with hydrogenated oils, it stayed relatively solid at room temperature.  Now that it is non-hydrogenated, it goes pretty soft if you leave it out of the fridge.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CakeBeret

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
We usually go through a pound of butter a week, between the things I cook/bake and the fact that there's almost always fresh bread on hand.

I keep one stick in the fridge, one stick in a butter dish on the counter, and the rest in the freezer.

The counter butter is eaten quickly in my house, usually 3-5 days. I've never had it go bad, and I have had some sit out for nearly two weeks. I do use salted butter, if that makes any difference.

Spreadable margarine is nothing compared to real butter, so I don't buy it, and spreadable real butter is obscenely expensive. I experimented with making my own spreadable butter, but I find that we're much happier just keeping a stick of butter on the counter.

We keep the house pretty cool, 65-68 in the winter and no more than 71-72 in the summer
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 05:50:38 PM by CakeBeret »
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

EMuir

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »
We have a pretty dry climate, and I bought a metal dish to keep the butter in that seems to wick away the heat like a computer heat sink, the butter stays pretty solid even in the summer. We wash it out about once every few weeks. It holds a pound of butter. I so wish we could buy butter in sticks!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »
I buy 1 lb blocks of butter from our warehouse club for $2/lb and keep one pound in the refrigerator and 2 pounds in the freezer at all times. One stick stays in the glass dish on the counter. I only buy salted butter for holidays, unsalted the other 49 weeks of the year.