Author Topic: Where do you keep your butter?  (Read 4860 times)

norrina

Re: Where do you keep your butter?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »
We keep up to a stick in a ceramic dish on the countertop (and like a previous poster, "up to" often means a mere sliver, left there by DF or his 11 y.o. son), the rest of the pound in the fridge, and I try to keep a pound or two in the freezer. Unless I know I am going to be doing a lot of baking, I just buy salted and use it for everything, and reduce the salt in my cooking a smidge to compensate.

I probably eat the least butter of the three of us, so I don't really pay a lot of attention to how quickly we go through it. I feel like it has to take us at least a week to get through a stick though, and I've never known one to go off. Every so often we'll throw a bit away because it's gotten bread crumbs in it, or it's melted and recongealed, or it just generally looks unappealing. We live in South Carolina, the house stays at low-mid 60s in the winter, and upper 70s in the summer.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »
I have a butter bell that I forgot to put in the fridge before we were away for two weeks last summer, with no air conditioning on.

It was fine when we returned.

I only change the water when putting more butter into it.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
I thought it was just my dog that ate butter. 

Maggie

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2013, 12:27:11 AM »
I keep butter on the counter year round.  I have a butter bell and I do like it but the first time it melted into the water I was not impressed.  I keep it in a tupperware butter container now.  I do buy salted from about May to about September and then unsalted the rest of the year.

bloo

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
Just noticed this thread!

I usually purchase raw-milk butter by the pound from an Amish lady. At $2.50/lb I buy 4-8 pounds at a time once a month (whatever she's got extra). It is so yummy and almost orange because it's from a grass-fed cow so it's super-rich in omega-3 fatty acids. When the cow is eating some hay in the winter the color lightens to deep yellow. 

Raw means unpasteurized and I still leave it out on my counter. It's fine left up to a week (if I notice we're using it slower I'll stick it in the fridge) but it doesn't usually last that long as I use butter for cooking. It's rare for us to eat toast or make grilled cheese but it's nice to already have soft butter.

When my Amish lady is drying out her cow for a few months, and if I start to run out in the freezer, I'll buy regular sticks at the store and keep two on a plate. It's a little startling when I first have to do this because the color is so light it almost looks white. When it gets down to one stick, I pull out another one stick it on a clean plate and the use a spatula to gather the leftovers of the other plate to slap it on to the new plate.

No problems with spoiling.

When it gets real warm in the summer it might actually liquify a little, but we got AC put in 1.5 years ago and that hasn't been a problem.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
We keep our butter in a covered butter dish in the refrigerator.  We take it out when we start cooking and, by the time we eat, the consistency is just fine. 

Miss Tickle

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Butter bells, I've found, need to be a certain shape and/or size or they don't work properly; too small and the water gets too warm, too shallow and the butter falls out. I have the one my Mother bought thirty years ago. After buying three or four that just didn't do the job she finally took pity on me and gave me hers. I change the water at the same time as I water the cats, so it's nothing extra, and I'll salt the water as well.

Can I just say that I'm super jealous you can buy butter for $1-2-3 a pound? Even the poor quality butter on sale where I live is $3.00 or more.

CakeBeret

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »
Butter bells, I've found, need to be a certain shape and/or size or they don't work properly; too small and the water gets too warm, too shallow and the butter falls out. I have the one my Mother bought thirty years ago. After buying three or four that just didn't do the job she finally took pity on me and gave me hers. I change the water at the same time as I water the cats, so it's nothing extra, and I'll salt the water as well.

Can I just say that I'm super jealous you can buy butter for $1-2-3 a pound? Even the poor quality butter on sale where I live is $3.00 or more.

Butter here is normally $3.50-5.00/lb at the grocery store, but I can get it at Aldi for $2.50/lb and it is pretty decent quality. You might check and see if you have an Aldi nearby.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MOM21SON

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
Just scored LOL butter for 2.50 a lb!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »
We get the European butter (whichever is on sale) for about $3-$5 a pack.  When they are on sale for $3, I stock up.  Last brand was the French one, I snapped them all up.  ;D

MOM21SON

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
We get the European butter (whichever is on sale) for about $3-$5 a pack.  When they are on sale for $3, I stock up.  Last brand was the French one, I snapped them all up.  ;D

What is European butter?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
I have a butter bell that I forgot to put in the fridge before we were away for two weeks last summer, with no air conditioning on.

...and i am going to show this to Gish. I want a butter bell; he is convinced the butter will go bad. :) I love butter, and the physics of a butter bell just tickles me for some reason.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
European butters are slightly higher in milk fat. Plugra and Kerrygold are the most widely available in my area.

MOM21SON

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »
European butters are slightly higher in milk fat. Plugra and Kerrygold are the most widely available in my area.

Thank you!  I am sure I would love it!

MOM21SON

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »

...and i am going to show this to Gish. I want a butter bell; he is convinced the butter will go bad. :) I love butter, and the physics of a butter bell just tickles me for some reason.

I am putting forth a lot of effort to find the perfect one.  I know I need/want one with a knob on the lid.  I am sick of picking up a slimy butter dish lid.