Author Topic: Where do you keep your butter?  (Read 5440 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Where do you keep your butter?
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
We get the European butter (whichever is on sale) for about $3-$5 a pack.  When they are on sale for $3, I stock up.  Last brand was the French one, I snapped them all up.  ;D

What is European butter?
Butter made the European way and from Europe.  Brands like Kerrygold, lurpak, plugra, prisidente and champs ilysses etc.   

AnnaJ

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
This is the one I have:  http://www.amazon.com/Butter-Bell-Crock-Matte-Ivory/dp/B000H47H0A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364611463&sr=8-5&keywords=butter+bell, and it works very well, but it depends where you are.

I'm in the US, took one to a friend in Wales last summer - her mum fell in love with it and wanted to order one, but all of the sources she found were either US or Canadian so she decided to wait till she was visiting family in Florida to get one.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »
Just scored LOL butter for 2.50 a lb!

Land 0' Lakes?

I didn't know dairy products are national brands, though the areas served are getting larger. We get Blue Bunny and Laughing Cow products now, which we didn't get before. I've never heard of many of the brands mentioned.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
Kerrygold is sometimes sold in the cheese section of the store.  I have seen it in Chicago, Maryland, and DC. 

Faerydust

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »
I've never heard of a butter bell before! We keep our butter in the fridge. It's too warm here to leave the butter out in a butter dish and we don't use it daily.

MOM21SON

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
Just scored LOL butter for 2.50 a lb!

Land 0' Lakes?

I didn't know dairy products are national brands, though the areas served are getting larger. We get Blue Bunny and Laughing Cow products now, which we didn't get before. I've never heard of many of the brands mentioned.

Yes.  Land o' lakes. 

I have bought the spreadable butter for stuff like potlucks or a meal to someones home.  It is just easier.

bloo

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
We get the European butter (whichever is on sale) for about $3-$5 a pack.  When they are on sale for $3, I stock up.  Last brand was the French one, I snapped them all up.  ;D

What is European butter?
Butter made the European way and from Europe.  Brands like Kerrygold, lurpak, plugra, prisidente and champs ilysses etc.

I've seen the Plugra brand of ghee. It's clarified butter with absolutely no milk solids so nothing to scortch if you're cooking with it and great for making hollandaise. $6/bottle at the only place I've seen it locally so a little too rich for my blood.

AnnaJ

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
I've never heard of a butter bell before! We keep our butter in the fridge. It's too warm here to leave the butter out in a butter dish and we don't use it daily.

The water keeps it cool, we just change it daily when it's hot; it gets to 115 degrees F here for a couple of weeks in the summer, and well over 100 every day for four to five months each year, so they are still useful in hot places.

katycoo

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »
In the fridge, Its too hot here to keep it out.  But I only ever use butter for baking. We use margarine day to day.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 07:02:47 AM »

What is European butter?

I've seen the Plugra brand of ghee. It's clarified butter with absolutely no milk solids so nothing to scortch if you're cooking with it and great for making hollandaise. $6/bottle at the only place I've seen it locally so a little too rich for my blood.

I've never seen the plugra ghee and yes that is alot for it. I have however made it at home, google for the method and save the $6.  :-)

bloo

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »

What is European butter?

I've never seen the plugra ghee and yes that is alot for it. I have however made it at home, google for the method and save the $6.  :-)

Thanks! I googled it and several useful webpages came up. It was interesting to note the while clarified butter and ghee are similar, they are not the same. I may try it but it'd have to be with butter from the store, I guess. The raw, organic stuff I get from my Amish lady is salted for preservation as they don't have electricity and must rely on ice to keep things cold. It was recommended to use unsalted butter to make ghee.

o_gal

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Kerrygold is sometimes sold in the cheese section of the store.  I have seen it in Chicago, Maryland, and DC.

If any of you are within a couple of hours drive of Cincinnati, there is the butter section at Jungle Jim's - http://www.junglejims.com. There have a refrigerated display stand that's about 8 feet long but it's not against a wall, and you can walk around all sides. Totally loaded with dozens of different butter brands, most of them from Europe and some from Central and South America. If there's a brand of butter somewhere in the world, chances are they have it. Like everything else there, it's pricey but if you are a butter lover, you may have to be dragged away.

MOM21SON

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
UGH.  In my local grocery, I happened to check out the butter for a sale yesterday.  They had Kerrygold and Plugra.  I was all excited until I realized it was 4 bucks for half a pound!

magicdomino

« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »
I've bought Kerrygold when there was a good sale, but yes, when you are paying for the airfare from Europe, European butter is just a little too expensive for everyday cooking.  I reserve it for really good bread.

MOM21SON

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
I've bought Kerrygold when there was a good sale, but yes, when you are paying for the airfare from Europe, European butter is just a little too expensive for everyday cooking.  I reserve it for really good bread.

Well, since I am going to the farmers market Sat and Mr Bread will be there, I see it in my future.  Crusty bread is calling me!