Author Topic: Where do you keep your butter?  (Read 4675 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Where do you keep your butter?
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
I've bought Kerrygold when there was a good sale, but yes, when you are paying for the airfare from Europe, European butter is just a little too expensive for everyday cooking.  I reserve it for really good bread.

Well, since I am going to the farmers market Sat and Mr Bread will be there, I see it in my future.  Crusty bread is calling me!

See why I stock up when they are on sale? :-)  I also find that I use less since its so.flavorful.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
They have a small package of Kerrygold garlic butter at my market, has anyone here tried it?

I bought some Breakstone salted whipped butter to have with our bread tonight.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
Butter bells, I've found, need to be a certain shape and/or size or they don't work properly; too small and the water gets too warm, too shallow and the butter falls out. I have the one my Mother bought thirty years ago. After buying three or four that just didn't do the job she finally took pity on me and gave me hers. I change the water at the same time as I water the cats, so it's nothing extra, and I'll salt the water as well.

Can I just say that I'm super jealous you can buy butter for $1-2-3 a pound? Even the poor quality butter on sale where I live is $3.00 or more.

Butter here is normally $3.50-5.00/lb at the grocery store, but I can get it at Aldi for $2.50/lb and it is pretty decent quality. You might check and see if you have an Aldi nearby.

I took your advice and located my nearest Aldi. I thought it was a UK/EU company and was hoping Google would advise me to kayak or swim to England, but there are some in the US too. There isn't an Aldi within 1700 miles of me though so I probably stick with the Costco in Bellingham. That's about the cheapest I've found, but even then it's a two to three hour drive, sometimes longer if the border traffic is bad.

Amara

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:35 PM »
Cook's Illustrated recommended Plugra but they also noted that it was best reserved for eating because of its cost and because they couldn't tell any difference between that and other butter in cooking. Nearly as good, they also noted, was Land O' Lakes butter and it was half the price.