Author Topic: Child's food choices on trip  (Read 10925 times)

MrTango

Re: Child's food choices on trip
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »
Yes, I'd say especially if you're super casual about it. "Have a great time! Here are some snacks for you guys. BTW, brother, since Son is used to pretty healthy foods, you may want to be careful not to let him go too crazy with sugar and junk food or you may end up with a sick little one on your hands."

This is probably the best way to do it.  Sudden changes of diet can really mess with a person, especially a kid.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
A couple other examples from places I know my niece and nephew have enjoyed eating at:

The Sci-Fi drive in: Meaty Macaroni - ground turkey with marinara sauce, topped with mozzarella served with green beans and carrots and fruit salad

The Kona: Grilled Shrimp Skewers- served with mixed greens with fruit and almonds, and vegetable rice pilaf; fruit salad

There are definitely places to get really good, really healthy, really well cooked food for kids at Disney.  These are just a few.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
Yes, I'd say especially if you're super casual about it. "Have a great time! Here are some snacks for you guys. BTW, brother, since Son is used to pretty healthy foods, you may want to be careful not to let him go too crazy with sugar and junk food or you may end up with a sick little one on your hands."

This is probably the best way to do it.  Sudden changes of diet can really mess with a person, especially a kid.

I like this approach but I would make one little change.  I wouldn't use the words "healthy" or "junk".  I would instead offer specific examples.  You could say he is used to getting vegetables at every meal and doesn't usually eat much candy or chips, that kind of thing.  Subtle, but characterizing the foods might make it seem judgemental and more off putting than you intend.

CoryanderX

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
It seems to me (as a WDW fan who was last there in October) that Disney is trying so hard to make their meals (relatively) healthier that this shouldn't be that much of an issue. For example, at the Pecos Bill Cafe at Disney World, the kids' meal is: "Hamburger, Turkey sandwich or PB&J - All meals include choice of two side items: grapes, carrot sticks, or applesauce and choice of beverage: 1% milk, small bottled water, or apple juice. Chocolate Chip Cookie, French fries and soda available upon request." I think that's pretty typical. So, while they COULD still feed your son cookies and French fries and soda, it's not like it'd be any kind of burden for them to just order for him from the standard menu.

Another thing I remember is that at Pizza Planet in Disney's Hollywood Studios, you HAD to get a Caesar salad with your individual pizza. They wouldn't let you pay the same price and just not get the salad. At least, that's according to my boyfriend, who ordered for us while I was in the bathroom, and who knew I wouldn't be eating a bite of that salad.

EllenS

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »

I like this approach but I would make one little change.  I wouldn't use the words "healthy" or "junk".  I would instead offer specific examples.  You could say he is used to getting vegetables at every meal and doesn't usually eat much candy or chips, that kind of thing.  Subtle, but characterizing the foods might make it seem judgemental and more off putting than you intend.

I agree with being careful about sounding judgy, and making sure it is based around DS' health.  Your brother loves DS, obviously.  I use this with my dad about my kids, and it is helping.  "Please make sure he has some fruit or veggies at each meal, or he will get backed up and have a stomach ache."  Especially at such a young age, constipation can also increase the chance of a poopy pants incident.

Take2

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 11:57:38 PM »
My brother thinks my kids' diet is oddly healthy. And he loves to spoil them.

But even at age 3, my kids would request what they like. So if you asked about fries or apples, they'd take the fries, but if you asked nuggets or turkey sandwich they'd go for the sandwich, and heaven help you if you tried to give them juice instead of milk or water to drink.

And yeah, my brother likes to spoil the kids, but he doesn't want to deal with aftermath. So I would just say "Hey, can you try to keep Junior to non-fried foods whenever you can, please. If he gets fried food more than once a day, he gets digestive issues. I would hate for you to have to deal with that at an amusement park! I know there will be more sweet treats than usual at Disney, and that's fine. But you may want to give him smaller helpings and make sure he gets as much fiber as it's convenient to feed him. Again, extra sugar has caused digestive stuff before. His tummy just isn't used to it. He isn't picky at all, so I am sure he will happily eat the fruit and veggies and grilled options, when they are available."

Then my brother would roll his eyes at me, confirm with Junior that he really likes grilled chicken and fish, and give the child two times the amount of sugar I'd be comfortable with...which is about half of what he would have given if I hadn't mentioned it.

Promise

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2013, 12:17:46 AM »
Eating junk food for one week isn't going to "hurt" him. I'd lighten up about it. If you've raised him on wholesome food and he likes some healthy things, have a talk to the family taking him just asking them to be sure to include vegetables at each meal or some such thing - have veggies on pizza if ordered, etc. Honestly, it's not so bad. He'll go back to his regular diet when he comes home. Offer to provide snacks for everyone to pack for their day packs in the park. Pack bags of mini carrots, cookies you make, etc. But again, don't make a bigger deal than it needs to be. Let him enjoy a week's vacation from health. We all do it. I take a week off of exercising. During the holidays I eat lots of crap but Jan 1 starts me back on my regular habits. Kids need that freedom too.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2013, 02:06:45 AM »
Interestingly enough, after reading this thread I took a look at some of the children menus at WDW and boy- things have changed since I was there last . a lot healthier choices are available now, in some cases the default sides for kids are apple slices or grapes and they offer 1% milk or water as beverage. You can get the fries or juice as well but you have to ask. And some places offer interesting choices beyond burgers or Mac n cheese, such as quinoa salad, grilled chicken, etc.so it shouldn't actually be too much of a hardship to get healthy ( or helthIER) choices for your son

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »
It's quite easy for a child to eat relatively healthy while at Disney. (ie: Sharnita's posts)

OP, if you are truly worried about the kids menu options, you could pay the difference and upgrade your son to a regular adult menu. This will work only if they are on the DDP, otherwise, just give your son more money so he can choose from the regular menu.

Otherwise, I say let him have fun!  I'm sure he will eat a combo of good food mixed in with some treats.  If his tummy starts to hurt, I'm sure (assuming your brother recognizes the signs) your brother will make sure he eats better or has less candy.

Our kids continue to eat healthy while at Disney as they make it pretty easy to do so.  Disney is not your typical theme park. 

I also think your latest update is a good way to go!  Sending a fruit basket is a good idea.  It'll be a nice surprise for your brother and his family and a good way to get your son to eat the fruit.  I'm sure his cousins will want to eat the special fruit basket fruit too!  :) 

shygirl

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
My son, age 3, is going to Disney sometime this year with my brother and his kids. My brother invited DS and is paying all his expenses.

My only concern with this trip is that Bro and his kids eat a lot of junk food and I don't want my son eating corn dogs and potato chips for an entire week straight. DH and I agree that we don't mind the occasional junk food, but we also want our son to have nutritious food on the trip too. So if they are grabbing lunch from a hot dog stand, that's fine, but if they are eating at a restaurant I'd like them to order DS something non-fried and with vegetables.

(My son is not a picky eater at all--he loves hot dogs and will choose to eat them if given a choice, but he will also eat grilled chicken and broccoli if that's what is put in front of him.)

Is there a polite way to ask my brother to make some healthy choices for DS, or is that out of line? I know that if we ask, Bro will abide by our wishes, but I'm not sure if it would be terribly wrong to ask. How can we phrase it without coming off preachy or judgmental? To be honest, I don't think my husband will let DS go on the trip if we don't talk to Bro about food choices, so it will come down to either talking to Bro or not sending DS at all.

When people invite my children places at their expense, I try to make it as simple and carefree as possible because I am grateful for their hospitality. That means I don't determine bedtimes, food choices, or schedules. If I don't like their style, I don't send the kids. But I don't do anything that makes life harder for people doing my family a kind deed.

One reason I might say something, at least about bedtimes/schedules, is that my son (almost 3 years old) is a complete monster when he doesn't get enough sleep, or has a late nap.  He absolutely needs a nap in the afternoon, or the rest of your day is going to be miserable.  I guess if the other family wants to deal with a tantrumming toddler for hours on end, they can.  But I would definitely tell them about his need for a nap.  Same idea goes for eating habits.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

One reason I might say something, at least about bedtimes/schedules, is that my son (almost 3 years old) is a complete monster when he doesn't get enough sleep, or has a late nap.  He absolutely needs a nap in the afternoon, or the rest of your day is going to be miserable.  I guess if the other family wants to deal with a tantrumming toddler for hours on end, they can.  But I would definitely tell them about his need for a nap.  Same idea goes for eating habits.

This is the angle I agree with myself.  Sure, vacations are a time to relax, to not worry as much about food and such.  And there is the factor of not wanting to put anyone out, to go to extra effort-meaning, one doesn't want to be a special snowflake, and one wants to appriciate the hospitality as offered and not be impolite by saying anything that sounds like critisism.

However, shygirl and others have made the very good point that a drastic alteration of diet might upset the child's stomach and make him sick.  I think this would be true even if it were the reverse, if he ordinarily ate junk food and suddenly were given vegetables.  And the child being sick from different foods, or reluctant to eat at all what is offered to him due to it being not what he is used to, that would likely cause far more problems than politely informing the hosts about his usual diet and other relevant habits, such as bedtime.

This situation isn't as strong as for example, the child were a type one diabetic or had celiac disease or another such thing, but the general principle applies, I think.  The hosts need and want information to take care of the child properly, and even for an otherwise healthy child, this includes diet.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
I don't really see how it would cause anybody "extra" touble in this case.  Because it is a mela plan a kids meal is equal to any other kids meal, regardless of cost on the menu so all you would do is say "grilled chicken and geen beans" instead of "corn dog and french fries".

BeagleMommy

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
DH, DS and I eat a pretty healthy diet.  The first time we took DS to WDW he was 5.  Even then they had a pretty wide variety of children's choices because they are dealing with customers from all over the world.  It wouldn't hurt to mention to your brother that if your DS eats a lot of fried things he has tummy troubles (my DS did).  There are also a lot of buffet type restaurants where there are abundant choices.  We had two incidents with DS that really surprised people.

He was behaving particularly well one day at Epcot so I said I would buy him a treat.  We went into a bakery and he asked for a fresh fruit cup.  People raised an eyebrow at that one.  It's what he wanted so that's what I bought.

Our last night there we went to the Hoop-de-Do Review.  They served family style and the menu was fried chicken, BBQ ribs, corn bread, baked beans and corn on the cob with strawberry shortcake for dessert.  DS didn't like strawberry shortcake so our waiter brought out a MM shaped ice cream bar for him.  DS looked at him and, very seriously said "No thank you.  Can I have more chicken?".  The waiter had worked there 30 years and had never had a kid refuse dessert.

So your DS may automatically gravitate toward the food he is used to eating.

wyliefool

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »
Okay, would this be a fair compromise?

-Tell Brother that Son behaves best when he doesn't have too much sugar (which is very very true) and will get tummy troubles if he doesn't get enough veggies
-Send along some homemade granola bars (made with applesauce, shredded apple, and raisins) that the whole family can take for snacks
-Send a fruit basket to their hotel room (love this idea!)

OT--recipe please? That sounds awesome! I'm so tired of store-bought granola bars!!

CakeBeret

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »
OT--recipe please? That sounds awesome! I'm so tired of store-bought granola bars!!

I use this recipe as a starting point: http://happyhealthymama.com/2012/11/apple-peanut-butter-snack-bars.html

I always double the recipe. I'm not a fan of honey, so I sub unsweetened applesauce and add a small amount of sugar. At some point I plan to experiment with adding some shredded zucchini. I usually add raisins, walnuts, or chocolate chips, or some combination of those. Chocolate chip and walnut is divine!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."