Author Topic: Souvenirs From Travels  (Read 3387 times)

scotcat60

Re: Souvenirs From Travels
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »
My best friend at primary school and I used to bring each other a little gift from our holidays. I still have a little wooden box with coloured shells on the lid, and the name "Tintagel" painted on the side, which she brought me from a Cornish holiday over 50 years ago.

I brought home clothes, food, books, jewellery for myself as holiday mementos over the years. My parents brought my nephew a tartan cot blanket from Scotland, it's used for his own children now. I still use a letter rack they brought home from another Scottish holiday.
For other family and workmates, I would buy sweets.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »
This thread reminds me of the Erma Bombeck book on her travels.  She devoted an entire chapter to shopping, always trying to find countries that challenged her.  Hong Kong was "one big mall...fun, but where is the challenge?"  She thought she was defeated on Easter Island..until she found the indigenous people swap  ;D.

My mom liked to find tiny teacups and saucers from wherever they were-England, Russia (she also brought home a teapot from there), China, Australia.  She had a rack across our dining room for the display.

jmarvellous

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »
I don't love displays of many of the same item -- I'm decidedly not a collector -- nor do I like things from others printed with the name of a place.

When I have traveled, I have given people who cat sit or drive me to the airport something consumable or personal. I gave people hand-carved wooden bracelets and coffee beans from Costa Rica (from a plantation I visited), for example. I bought the same stuff for myself. On other trips, I have bought similar wearable or edible unique things.

As a kid, my dad would usually bring back a tiny treat the first time he visited somewhere. Otherwise, I haven't received many souvenirs from others.

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
I don't buy souvenirs personally.  We take lots and lots of pictures and those are our souvenirs.

But we once went on a trip with a large group of people and there was a married couple on the trip who bought a Christmas tree ornament (or a small object that could be used as one) to remember each trip.  I thought that was kind of a neat idea!

We collect ornaments on our travels also.  We love looking at the Christmas tree each year and reminiscing about that place. We have been doing this for many years so most of our ornaments are travel related.

I'm not big on typical souvenirs personally.  T-shirts, mugs, spoons, shot glasses, not my thing.  If there is something unique then I buy a sovenir to remind me.  I have a carnival mask from New Orleans, and my favorite is the jar of sand and shells we brought back from florida.  just seeing that makes me remember how much fun we had.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"