Author Topic: Interesting clouds  (Read 275 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Interesting clouds
« on: March 29, 2013, 04:26:57 AM »
I wondered if anyone else is fascinated by cloud formations.  We go and look at the ocean a few times a week and the other day way out on the horizon we saw some strange clouds we hadn't seen before.  There were strips of clouds on the horizon and little clouds looking like puffs of smoke were coming up off of them.  I found out they are called wave clouds. 
I found a series of pictures of different clouds and am amazed by their beauty.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lenticular+clouds&id=0C71DC676A3DD56CC29315E10600AE5A13E4C76B&FORM=IQFRBA
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Interesting clouds
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
We've all seen shapes in clouds, right?  Interesting and cool and fun, but no big deal, right?  Well, one morning, my companions and I saw a huge cloud formation shaped like a phoenix.  I've never seen a cloud form something that perfect and detailed, it was like someone deliberately painted it.  I wish I had a camera phone back then because you would swear it was fake if you saw a picture.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:24:20 AM by rose red »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »
We've all seen shapes in clouds, right?  Interesting and cool and fun, but no big deal, right?  Well, one morning, my companions and I saw a huge cloud formation shaped like a phoenix.  I've never seen a cloud form something that perfect and detailed, it was like someone deliberately painted it.  I wish I had a camera phone back then because you would swear it was fake if you saw a picture.
Some clouds are amazing.  I wish you'd had a camera phone, too, because I would love to see it.  And i believe  you even without the picture. 
ETA I googled "clouds shaped like a phoenix" and came up with some interesting pictures.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:44:54 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

squeakers

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
Mammatus clouds are my favorite http://tinyurl.com/bqq4q3n (did not want to paste the giant google image url).  They get their name for looking like.. mammary.  Who can't like something named after boobs?
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin