General Etiquette > Life...in general

I want THIS potato salad, not the one on the shelf

<< < (12/12)

Hawkwatcher:

--- Quote from: snowdragon on March 31, 2013, 02:08:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: perpetua on March 31, 2013, 01:32:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: MrsJWine on March 29, 2013, 07:03:05 PM ---I think this is one of those things where your request was acceptable, but also understandably annoying.

It's kind of like asking for the only dirty table in a large section full of clean, empty tables with similar distances from windows, entrance, bathrooms, etc. Paying customers had the right to request specific tables, but it was a bit exasperating, especially if I was recovering from a rush, and was busy, say, filling all the empty salt shakers before another horde of people came in.

--- End quote ---

I agree with MrsJWine.

The assistant told you it was the exact same potato salad, and your insistence made extra and unnecessary work for her.

To me that's not much different to people who leave their cartons on the table in McDonalds or KFC because 'people get paid to pick up that stuff' - there's something a bit disrespectful about it.

I think 'the customer is always right' can go too far.

--- End quote ---

Sure it can. But this is NOT one of those instances.  Getting customers what they want is part of the deli worker's job. It is not uncommon for people to ask for something that is not prepackaged/presliced/prewhatever, it's just a normal part of the job ( and I worked in a deli for a few years) but the argumentativeness and the visible exasperation and audible sighing were rude. 
 I am sorry the deli girl does not think her customers have a right to what they want, but if it is there and put out for sale, it's rude to get upset that someone asks for the product they prefer.
  I think the clerk was SS, not the OP

--- End quote ---

Exactly. When I have gone to the store, I have asked people behind the deli to slice meat for me even though there is sliced lunch meat in other places in the deli.  I have also gotten meat from the store's butcher even though I can purchased meat that has already been packaged.  I have witnessed other customers doing the same. 

Erich L-ster:

--- Quote from: rose red on March 31, 2013, 10:23:00 AM ---I'm not being snarking, but genuinely puzzled.  If a member read a thread and the answer is "Oh for goodness sake, stuff happens, move on" then why keep reading the thread and keep commenting on it?  Why not move on to a thread that's more of interest?

--- End quote ---
Because a worker who "(Kind of s sighed in exasperation), shrugged, washed her hands, walked over and got me what I wanted." doesn't need to be reported as if she were actually rude and if that was the low point of someone's day, it must have been a pretty good day. The worker was not rude.

Erich L-ster:

--- Quote from: reflection5 on March 31, 2013, 11:54:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: rose red on March 31, 2013, 10:23:00 AM ---I'm not being snarking, but genuinely puzzled.  If a member read a thread and the answer is "Oh for goodness sake, stuff happens, move on" then why keep reading the thread and keep commenting on it?  Why not move on to a thread that's more of interest?

--- End quote ---

It might have something to do with general personalities, the need to be heard, the need to feel superior, and how a personís life is going.  There might also be some periodic confusion about the theme of the board.

I agree itís strange to even open and read the thread and to go so far as to actually comment about how irritating you find the discussion or to just pop in and ďAgreeĒ that itís not important.  ;D  I havenít seen many (if any) threads that are life and death or even earth shattering.

There are lots f threads I donít even open.  However, there are many which, on the surface, seem trivial but turn out to be interesting, informative, and fun.  For example, the ďWhere do you keep your butter?Ē discussion has over 80 posts/8 pages.  Iíve looked at it several times.  I donít use real butter and I donít have that particular problem; I have nothing to add to what others have said.  But Iím not going to post ďWho cares?  >:( This thread isnít worth anyoneís time.  In the general scheme of life, itís just butter.  Move on.Ē  I donít feel the need to do that.  But thatís me.  ;)

--- End quote ---
Thank you, pot.
-kettle

cass2591:
People read posts for all sorts of reasons and I don't care why. What I object to is people posting snotty comments telling the OP their issue is irrelevant, silly, etc. If you think an OP is being ridiculous/OTT/whiny/pick your poison, unless they ask for opinions on their behavior, don't post if you can't muster a bit of diplomacy about the issue that bugs you.

There is absolutely no reason to shame anyone because you think their issue is trivial, even if it is.

Thread locked because some posters can't leave well enough alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version