Author Topic: Returning containers.  (Read 2532 times)

SiotehCat

Returning containers.
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
For Easter and Thanksgiving, MIL cooks a huge meal and invites us over. DH's Aunt and Uncle are also invited.

She always makes way too much food because she likes to send the left overs home with us. She saves all kinds of plastic containers and brings them all out to pack the left overs in. A few of them are plastic gladware containers, some cool whip tubs, sour cream containers, "to go" containers from restaurants, etc...

We like her cooking, but we could do without so many left overs. Most of it gets thrown out because I can't eat the same thing 5 days in a row. The containers get reused, but eventually get recycled.

MIL issued the usual Easter invitation this year and we have accepted. Dinner is Sunday. We received an email yesterday asking us to bring back the containers. We don't have the containers.

I did buy a new set of pyrex food storage containers.

We wont get a chance to speak to Mil before Sunday. I am sure that she wants us to bring the containers back to use them for our leftovers, but there is the slight chance that she just wants her plastic containers back.

Should I bring my glass set and give them to her? Or bring the set and assume its to put our leftovers in? Should I bring a plastic set and give it to her?

My In laws are well off, but my MIL recycles or collects everything. I would hate to gift her a plastic set because I know she would see it as a waste. I also wouldn't tell her that we bought any of those containers specifically for the event. She would think it silly. Maybe I should just eat a lot of chinese takeout until Sunday.

Amara

Re: Returning containers.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
Why not just ask her? You can tell her you no longer have the original containers and see what she prefers. Some people tend to collect these; would anyone you know have ones they might be willing to give you?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
I would say "I apologize. I didn't realize you would want the containers back so I recycled them. I'd be happy to buy you a set of plastic containers to replace them. How many do you need?" See what she says? I can't think of a way to ask about bringing your glass set without it sounding like "I'm expecting leftovers.", even though you know she's probably planning on sending some home with you. Can you or DH ask her outright without it being awkward?

My family saves those same types of containers to use for the "Here, take this!" leftovers. Nobody has ever wanted them back.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
You said you can't speak to her before Sunday, but does she check her email daily so that you can ask that way?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
I would say "I apologize. I didn't realize you would want the containers back so I recycled them. I'd be happy to buy you a set of plastic containers to replace them. How many do you need?" See what she says? I can't think of a way to ask about bringing your glass set without it sounding like "I'm expecting leftovers.", even though you know she's probably planning on sending some home with you. Can you or DH ask her outright without it being awkward?

My family saves those same types of containers to use for the "Here, take this!" leftovers. Nobody has ever wanted them back.

This.

I always use the Glad-type plastic containers when bringing something to a friend and if there are leftovers to take home I get them back, so to speak.  I don't worry about getting them back, which is why I never bought more expensive ones.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »
I would buy some inexpensive plastic ones and bring them. If she comments on them being different from the ones she gave you, feign ignorance and say that you end up with so many and you can't keep track of which ones come from where, so you just brought these.

SiotehCat

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
You said you can't speak to her before Sunday, but does she check her email daily so that you can ask that way?

No. My In Laws don't use email except for work. They also don't have cell phones.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
I'd just get some of the Gladware containers, equivalent to what you recycled.  Personally, though, if I give someone food in something like that, I wouldn't expect it back.

You could also bring the Pyrex for *your* leftovers.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:28:48 PM »
I'd just get some of the Gladware containers, equivalent to what you recycled.  Personally, though, if I give someone food in something like that, I wouldn't expect it back.

You could also bring the Pyrex for *your* leftovers.

I missed that you wouldn't have a chance to talk to her before Sunday. I agree with the bolded.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »

MIL issued the usual Easter invitation this year and we have accepted. Dinner is Sunday. We received an email yesterday asking us to bring back the containers. We don't have the containers.

I did buy a new set of pyrex food storage containers.

We wont get a chance to speak to Mil before Sunday. I am sure that she wants us to bring the containers back to use them for our leftovers, but there is the slight chance that she just wants her plastic containers back.

I don't understand quite why you haven't already emailed her back to say, "I'm sorry--I didn't hold onto those containers, so I don't have any."

I think you can certain bring your own containers and then you can use that to limit how much food she sends back with you.

(can you freeze stuff? can she?)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »
I would buy some inexpensive plastic ones and bring them. If she comments on them being different from the ones she gave you, feign ignorance and say that you end up with so many and you can't keep track of which ones come from where, so you just brought these.

I like your idea.  If I were in OP's shoes, I think that's what I would do. 

It's likely that she wouldn't even have to "feign" ignorance.  I think most of us suddenly look in our cabinets one day and realize that our assortment of plastic take-home containers has been breeding during the night and suddenly we are being overrun with them in a wild assortment of sizes and shapes and colors.  Would she honestly have even the remotest idea which ones came from that particular specific location?

kudeebee

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »
I agree with buying some inexpensive plastic containers and taking them.  If she doesn't want them, use them to bring home your leftovers.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »
I would think that the biggest reason she wants you to bring containers is to send leftovers back home, no?

katycoo

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
Slightly O/T but what don't you just freeze the leftovers and eat them when you feel like them?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »
I'm confused.  In one message you said you received an email.from MIL and in another you said she doesn't use email except for work.   Can't you respond to the email she originally sent?